Smoothie / Azteeg X5 mini Questions/Issues

wlrottge

Smoothie / Azteeg X5 mini Questions/Issues

Post by wlrottge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a SO3 XXL and after about eight months, I started getting weird anomalies while running. I could cut one piece and be fine, run the same gcode again and in the middle of the run get a single line where the Z-axis would cut WAY too deep, then back to normal. Carbide offered to sell me another board, but I decided to go with an Azteeg X5 mini V3 as I thought I could do more customization (think laser cutter) in the future.

Bought the board, Viki mini, drivers, connectors, etc.

The documentation for this board, as well as smoothie is.... thin to say the least. The X5 GT (and older versions of the X5 mini) allow you to simply jump a connector so that you can use two drivers for the Y-axis. Although people say that wiring two motors in series will provide plenty of torque with 2A on a single driver, I did a little enginerding and figured out how to manually jump/slave to a fourth driver. This works fine, I only explain it, so that anyone who looks at the config file will understand what is going on.

Now to the problems:
The standard config file provided on the Smoothie website is way WAY off for a SO3. I've played with it, tweaked it, tested, tested, crashed, crashed again, crashed some more, tried running air cuts, exporting Fusion CAM with multiple post processing options, etc.

- Cannot seem to get smooth movement like I had with the stock Carabide board
- Motors will stop moving at higher speeds and just make noise (I assume this is the steppers skipping?)
- End stops? What end stops??? (See my comment about crashing above), I know that the end stops are properly connected and had to
- How hot are the drivers supposed to get? Holy crap!!! I've backed the amperage down to avoid damage while testing, but want to make sure I have enough holding power once I get this thing figured out.
- Tried to air cut a simple calibration shape (1" square and 1" circle, 0.5" deep), I swear the unit of measure has to be off, since I get crazy sized operations. BUT when I compare expected gantry movement against measured gantry movement; i.e. use the Viki to tell it to move 100 mm, it seems awfully close.

I've changed so many things at this point, I don't know which way is up:
- Max jerk
- Junction deviation
- Stepper current
- Flipped the axis directions (hardware and software_ multiple times

I haven't touched it in two months because I was tired of pulling my hair out... I'm probably just dumb, but have some projects where I need to use my machine again, so time to be unmanly and ask for help, lol

I'm hopeful that anything I learn can help someone else fix their problems as well.

Config file attached, thanks for any help!!!
Attachments
config.txt
SO3 XXL Smoothie Config File
(14.18 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Smoothie / Azteeg X5 mini Questions/Issues

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am

Have you seen the wiki page? https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... teegX5mini

I think that config is for an older version of Smoothie, so please only use it as a reference (do not try to use it directly on your machine).

When I had a Smoothieboard, I always ran with a fan --- if memory serves, the heat sinks are supposed to go on the bottom --- I was also using it on an SO2 w/ NEMA17s, or an Ordbot w/ NEMA14s --- not sure if it has the ability to drive NEMA23s --- did you consider the Gradus M1 Pro? https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Gradus_M1_Pro
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

wlrottge

Post by wlrottge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks Will

I looked at that file when I started, but have not compared it to where I am now.

Did you see anything funny in the file that I posted?

The heatsinks sit on the back (top) side of the drivers, I modified the standard S03 enclosure and mounting plate; drilled and tapped aluminum plate to mount new board and used standoff spacers. I also cut two holes in enclosure and installed two cpu fans.

I'll take a look at the Gradus.

Kind of surprised that there isn't more info about using this board out there. The manufacturers documentation is... "lacking" and the Smoothie guide is pretty thin as well. I figured if I could get this thing figured out, it would be something that would help others, but my patience is wearing thin!! ;-)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I wrote down what I could, but that was a couple of revisions ago I'm afraid. I might have made some notes at buildlog.net which didn't get to the wiki.

It's a great little board, and I rather miss mine and the 3D printer it wound up attached to, and am still debating about getting another.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)