How to add LEDs under X-axis?

EIP11

How to add LEDs under X-axis?

Post by EIP11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Hey everyone,

My SO3, purchased March 2017, has been sitting for about a year now (I've been messing with my cars/3D printers instead). Before letting my SO3 sit I wanted to add some LED lighting so now that I'm dusting it off that's the first project for me. I want to add some LED strips under the X-axis that are powered from the board. I saw the EV Conversion Guides LED kit but I don't like that it has to be powered from a wall outlet. I also found another thread where someone had done this exact same thing (https://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=6899) however this was done with an older board because mine doesn't have a fan plug like described on the thread. This was also confirmed by Jorge from Shapeoko in an email that read...

"You do probably have the latest [board], which means that fan connector is gone. There is a 2 pin connector next to Q2, upper left side of the board if you're reading the silkscreen right side up. It's connected to a mosfet on one pin and 24V on the other. You can cut the mosfet out and connect that pin to ground and potentially use that as a power source for LEDs.

Jorge"

However before I go removing the "mosfet" I wanted to check with everyone here and see if anyone has managed to add LEDs to their SO3 in a more "plug&play" fashion? I'd like to use 12V LEDs and do so without modifying the board. I just don't feel comfortable removing stuff from the board.

Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How to add LEDs under X-axis?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm

It's a kit. If it's older than 6 months, the board is out of warranty --- if you need a replacement, write in to support@carbide3d.com and we can send you the link to purchase a replacement.

On my 3D printer, I tapped directly off the power supply to run a fan --- would it be an option to get a power pigtail adapter and tap into the 24V and step that down? (or get a 24V LED kit?).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

EIP11

Post by EIP11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm

WillAdams wrote:It's a kit. If it's older than 6 months, the board is out of warranty --- if you need a replacement, write in to support@carbide3d.com and we can send you the link to purchase a replacement.

On my 3D printer, I tapped directly off the power supply to run a fan --- would it be an option to get a power pigtail adapter and tap into the 24V and step that down? (or get a 24V LED kit?).
My board is perfectly fine, I just don't want to ruin it trying to add some cheap Amazon LEDs to it. While the board doesn't have a physical fan connector do those same pins still have 12v going to them? Or did those pins stop receiving power once the new board got rid of the physical fan connector.

Thanks

EIP11

Post by EIP11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Nevermind someone on the Carbide forum answered my question. I'm just going to use a step down converter and use the 24v pins. Thanks for the help!

EIP11

Post by EIP11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I've already ordered the 24v step down converter and 12v leds. However yesterday I took the cover off the board and saw that my board actually has a connector labeled "RESERVED" where the old "FAN" connector was. From my research it seems that the "RESERVED" connector is for the touch probe however I was wondering if I could instead use it to power my LEDs?

https://imgur.com/a/nhFp2

polskadude

Post by polskadude » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 am

I have the same board as EIP11 Posted, anyone know if we can use any of those extra pins for 12v LED? Or should I just run a separate power source? I like the idea of the LED turning on as soon as the machine turns on.