E Stop Idea?

allenc

E Stop Idea?

Post by allenc » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 am

I'm not an electronics guy (basically no clue) so when I see the E Stop instructions that require wiring/rewiring, my eyes glaze over.

I have one of these (see attachment) to control the shop vac connected to my table saw. It is just an RF remote that turns on/off items plugged into the base.

The question, is it OK to have the router and controller on the same AC circuit? If so, I would use one of these setups as an E-Stop for router and controller.

Will this work?

Or perhaps you have other simple ideas for a non wiring person--hey, I'm just a wood worker starting out in cnc.

Thanks,

Allen
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (209.83 KiB) Viewed 644 times

xfredericox

Re: E Stop Idea?

Post by xfredericox » Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

an e-stop should be hardwired. Imagine your wireless connection acting up when things go wrong. So you'd need to place it on the short piece of cable between the wall plug and the plastic casing in your example.

Just take the main power cable, strip one of the lead wires (extend them if necessary, not ground obviously) and cut it through. Place the E-stop in between both ends. done
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

The way Fredrico says is correct. But you have to have an estop that is rated for that much current. If you hit amazon and buy cheap $7 Estop mushroom it's going to work once then the contacts will weld closed and never turn off again! That's because most E stop buttons are designed for 24Vdc control logic. This is very low current a few hundred milliamps max. Looking at Newark's website to get a proper switch it's going to cost about $25+
http://www.newark.com/c/switches-relays ... hes-e-stop

Also a true Estop should switch both Hot (black wire in the US) and the Neutral (White wire in the US). So look for a Double Pole Single throw switch (DPST) Estop switch. If you're just running the Controller and the standard Dewalt router a 5-6Amp switch will do, if you have added extra items dust collection, lights, upgraded spindle, tractor beam, P38 demodulation ray, etc you will need a higher rated switch.

Really you can add the switch to a power strip or extension cord. Cut the cord in half wirenut the green Ground wire together (ground the switch if it has a metal case or gnd lug). strip the black wire back about 1/4" and attach it to the switch input ( the one coming from the plug) and output (the one heading to the outlet) pins for circuit 1 (pins very with switch). Strip the white back 1/4" and attach the input ( the one coming from the plug) and output (the one heading to the outlet) pins for circuit 2 (pins very with switch). If the switch comes with a housing you will need to route the wires into the housing before hooking them up. If it doesn't come with housing you need to get one. Do Not leave the 120V leads exposed!!! this could lead to electrocution.

Now this post is only informational, If you are uncomfortable with any of this seek a professional licensed elechicken. If you listen to me and burn down your house or fry yourself it's your own fault! I'm some random idiot on the internets what do I really know! ;)

CBB

Yes 4+ years of collage playing with angry pixies taught me to cover my butt :D

allenc

Post by allenc » Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 am

Thanks very much for the replies. Suggested by a buddy--an e-stop switch that you plug the tool into, no wiring. My plan is to plug the router and controller into a power bar and plug the power bar into the e-stop switch. Simple for me.

Allen
Attachments
Rockler Stop Switch.jpg
Rockler Stop Switch.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 597 times

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Tue May 29, 2018 3:08 am

That sounds like a great idea if electronicals scare you!