Please help with choice of wires / cables

typomaniac

Please help with choice of wires / cables

Post by typomaniac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am

Hello,

i am new to the whole cnc stuff but i really fell in love with it. I did not buy the complete kit with electronics so i am gathering all the stuff at the moment. I already ordered the Nema 17s and i am going to buy the grbl eshapeoko solution. What i want to know is, what kind of cables / wires i should get for connecting the steppers and the shield. The electronics overview recommends »Stepper Cable 810 mm« and »Solid Core Wire 300 mm«. Can you tell me which one i need for what purpose and where to buy? A source in Europe would be great but a hint what to buy in general would be great.

thank you so much,

Andrew
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

aldenhart

Re: Please help with choice of wires / cables

Post by aldenhart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:14 am

I prefer 20 gauge or 18 gauge stranded wire, preferably 4 wires + a shield. On eBay if you search for "18 / 4 conductor speaker cable" you can find it and buy by the foot.

--Alden

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:45 am

ok - and do you know why they are talking about different wires? solid core AND stepper motor wires?
I guess you have no idea what to search for in german ; )?

thanks a lot,
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

T4b

Post by T4b » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:38 pm

"IEK-08 Solid Core Wire 300mm" goes from the e-stop to the grblshield +24v (look at this picture, it's the red one: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Wiring.jpg )
"IEK-07 Stepper Cable 810mm" goes from the screw terminals for each axis on the grblshield to the corresponding stepper motor. It consists of 4 individual wires. It's the wire aldenhart was talking about. You see their ends at the bottom of this picture: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Elec05.jpg
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.