First test of a stepper...?

Baxter

First test of a stepper...?

Post by Baxter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm a starter in CNC, building an eShapeoko, and I've got to the point where I can add the stepper motors.

before I assemble everything, I thought that I would test out the stepper motor control so that I could see how it OUGHT to behave before assembling it and finding out that it doesn't.

So, I have an Arduino duo ,pre-loaded with GRBL an Amber Spyglass GAUPS shield with Pololu drivers, some NEMA 23s and a NEMA 17, and a desktop loaded with G Code Sender which lets me fire off the 'Circle' test. What I want to know is, can I:

1 - connect one stepper to the shield with 4 drivers on it.
2 - connect the Arduino to the desktop and power to the shield
3 - run the G Code Sender Circle macro, leaving all defaults set
4 - observe the single stepper ticking through a set of steps?

I don't know if I should only install one driver, or all four steppers, or all four motors, or if there's a stage of setting up the G Code sender that I would need to do, or if the Arduino needs more setting up, or if the Circle macro will do what I think it will..... :?:

Baxter

Re: First test of a stepper...?

Post by Baxter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Well.... I tried plugging the Duo into my PC and running the Circle code which comes with Universal G Code Sender, without connecting any steppers.

It came up with a Java error - Expected BEGINARRAY but was STRING on line 1 column 1 .

In fact, it does this whether I have an arduino plugged in or not. Anyone here any good with Java?

Baxter

Re: First test of a stepper...?

Post by Baxter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 am

Ah!

Lesson 1 for setting up CNC machines with an Arduino. if you test the Arduino by loading and running the 'Blink' program (as advised by Arduino forums), you need to reload the GRBL software. I had thought that getting an arduino ready-flashed meant that the software was burnt into the chip - obviously not so.

Once I reloaded GRBL, the G Code Sender started working. Though, since I reloaded the latest V1.1 I appear to be at the bleeding edge, and the visualiser isn't working. Unless I don't know how to operate that, either... :?

Now the only question is whether it will damage the drivers to run power through the shield with only one driver connected to a motor...