G code not running smoothly

LordFrz

G code not running smoothly

Post by LordFrz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I am using the Azteeg X1 with 3 Sanyo Denki 103H5208-10U41 stepper motors.

After looking at the wiring diagram for the stepper I have wired them as follows.

Yellow - 2B
Red - 2A
Blue - 1A
Orange - 1B

Black and White are unused. (disconnected entirely)

The steppers run through the test code from the Arduino interface just fine.

However when sending Gcode from universal gcode sender it works sometimes and then stops then works on a diferant axis and stops on another.
My z axis will only lower, but it acts like it is trying to go up. When I run from a file it runs the first few lines then stops.

I have tries running Sprinter and Marlin. Using the manual input from universal gcode works best with sprinter, but Marlin runs a bit more
of gcode from file before stopping.

It kind of sounds like at times the motors are gettin stuck, almost as if I have crossed wires. I have check and no wires are touch that I know of, and I tested my solder leads on the board with a multimeter and they are not touching.

The only thing I can think of is the wires are wrong on the stepper motors. Will the motors work at all if the wires are incorrect? And if that is the case where might I find a diagram to wire them up?

Thanks for your help

cvoinescu

Re: G code not running smoothly

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 am

It sounds like you have unipolar (6-wire) motors. They have two windings, each with a center tap. An ohmmeter should measure open circuit between any wire of one winding and any wire on the other winding; that's how you divide the wires in two groups of three. To identify the center taps, measure between each two of the three wires of one winding. Two measurements will be roughly the same, one will be double that. The wire not involved in the larger measurement is the center tap.

You can even measure without any equipment: turn the motor shaft by hand. Short two of the wires. If the motor becomes harder to turn, they are on the same winding. If there is no change, they are on opposite windings. The center taps are harder to identify. Short all three wires of one winding together, and rotate the shaft; disconnect one wire (keep the other two shorted), and rotate the shaft again. Carefully compare the resistance to turning. If the wire you just disconnected is a winding end, the motor becomes slightly easier to turn. If it's a center tap, there's no difference.

You now have a choice: you can ignore the center taps and wire the motors that way, or you can ignore one end of each winding and wire between the end and the center tap. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages; briefly, the way I understand it, using the entire winding gives you more holding torque, and using only half of each winding gives you a quarter of the inductance so better performance at high speed.

Once you decide which wires to leave out, you essentially have a 4-wire bipolar motor and you can wire it as such. Numbers on the controller (1 and 2) refer to the windings. Looking at the datasheet for your motors, it seems that you have them wired correctly for using the entire windings. You can see that the datasheet I found gives you the maximum current for both choices (0.85 A for full winding, 1.2 A for half winding) and briefly explains the differences.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LordFrz

Post by LordFrz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks for that information

I don't think the problem is how I have wires the motors, as I can make them do what I want from the Arduino interface.

The issue is while sending gcode. It will execute parts sometimes, but then freeze up.

fito

Post by fito » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 am

How hot are your driver chips getting? Overheating issues can cause the symptoms you are describing?
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm

What power supply are you using? A few years back I had similar symptoms when I tried using an underpowered supply.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

LordFrz

Post by LordFrz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

The motors are getting fairly arm, but nothin to hot. I can till touch them for a while with no burning. And the heat sinks on the chip are warm but not hot.

I am using a Mamac Systems PS-200-1-A-1-N

I have it set at about 15v

LordFrz

Post by LordFrz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Looking at the datasheet provided earlier it says 24v min, would that mean I need to up the voltage?

Still doing it at 24v ):

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

You might want to adjust it to 24v. Not sure how you're trimming the voltage down to 15, but just to be safe if it's a 24v supply you should have it pretty close to 24v.

There's another thread going that has similar symptoms: hhttp://shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=715

Have a look and see if that might be the problem.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

LordFrz

Post by LordFrz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Still getting the same problem at 24v, the power supply goes from 1.8v up to 35v

I have some new wire I am going to use, and some endstops im going to attach. It was suggested in another
forum that it may be because I had no endstops attached to the board. I'll see if that gets it going.

fito

Post by fito » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

How many amps is that power supply rated to provide?
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649