eShapeoko #23 or MadManMoe's Marvellous Milling Machine

madmanmoe

Re: eShapeoko #23 or MadManMoe's Marvellous Milling Machine

Post by madmanmoe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 pm

DanMc wrote:Madman... Don't know if you tried to use this or not, but Vectorworks has a text to line tool. Under the Text menu it's called TrueType to Polyline. Each letter becomes a separate polyline. Letters with two lines, an "O" for example come out as one polyline, not sure how that would work in your CAM but it's easily corrected by decomposing and recomposing the correct pieces.
The problem with that is that it creates an outline polygon. You can create a pocket, using those outlines, but only if your letters are thick enough (bigger than your smallest endmill, mine is 1mm)
Creating proper single line fonts, allows me to use a simpler follow path operation, which is neater and faster and is much more adaptable.

This image shows the original text, the outlines created by the text to polyline tool, then the single line text I created from that, and finally what it looks like engraved with a 1mm thickness.

It's worth noting that for a true representation of the font, you can't just delete either the inner or outer lines, you want your final path to be centred between the outlines.
Perfectly doable, just a bit tedious.
Someone posted something about pre existing single line fonts for use with Inkscape, but that was after I did this, and I wanted this particular font.
MadManMoe's Blog
eShapeoko #23 Dual Y, Dual X, Dremel 4000, Pololu a4988 steppers run from LinuxCNC

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 am

I like that font. Well worth the trouble you took. :D
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:19 am

That is a bit of work but it does look sweet. I actually like your 1mm version better than the original.