twforeman's build

twforeman

Re: twforeman's build

Post by twforeman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:28 pm

When I actually hookup the limit switches I'll document it. Right now they are still sitting in the anti-static bag.

I need to get off my butt and do that - having homing switches would be really useful about now.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

i hear ya... I just got my machine built and I didn't pre order the power supply. I am using the Neam23's x4 and the TinyG, I have been informed to buy a 14.6A 300W 24vDC powersupply... its on order, I have 2 weeks at least til it arrives. Til then, I am just staring at my ShapeOko moving it with my hands. ;-)

My Chain Drag arrived the other day too. 2x 1000mm so now I just want to finalize the table build meaning the x-length and the y-length. In Canada its hard to come by local suppliers for alot of the stuff manufactured in the USA. It blows my mind that there is still such difficulty for us to help each others economy.

Nonetheless, thanks for your time and I look forward to viewing your progress. I hope to follow some your tuning guides when I get up and running.

Cheers.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I added a couple of Canadian supplier links to the Purchasing page in the wiki --- should we put more effort into listing regional vendors?

One thing which I really like about this forum is its international nature and I'd really like to support that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:34 pm

[quote="WillAdams"]I added a couple of Canadian supplier links to the Purchasing page in the wiki --- should we put more effort into listing regional vendors?
quote]

If any are more are known, it would be a great help. I don't mind paying a little extra to support inventables, but I keep hearing about how cheap makerslide is, and I'm not seeing that. To get it shipped to Canada more than doubles (depending on the order) it's cost. So by all means, if anyone knows regional vendors, add them to the list!

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 pm

@WillAdmas, thanks for updating the Wiki.
@fasteddy, I feel your pain... is why I was seeking out Extrusion companies and OpenRail vendors in Canada.
I pinged the Gentlemen at MakerSlide (Bart Dring) and he informed me that they are not currently working on Vendors for Canada. I let him know that I was not alone and that I loved his product but its just not prudent for us Canadians to buy and ship 1m sticks to Canada. Its like $40 for a $15 stick (approx).
Nonetheless, I spoke with OpenBuilds and they have Canadian Vendors selling OpenRail and 80/20 has vendors selling Extrusions in Canada as well.

That being said, my expansion project is going to have to consist of 80/20 Extrusion and OpenRail's.

Its not like we didn't try. ;-) And we are supporting other startups too... its all good.

Cheers.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Okay, I added a French vendor, so we're improving a bit.

FWIW, if I were in Canada, I'd follow cvoinescu's lead and start MakerSlide North, and if I were Zach Kaplan, I'd follow Lee Valley's lead and set up a store in the north which could take advantage of NAFTA (ditto for Mexico --- I've been kind of surprised not to see more posters from south of the border).

There's also a site, http://kitbom.com/ which has a ShapeOko BOM, and would probably be the perfect place for assembling a compleat list of vendors (I've signed up w/ it, and added a link there from the wiki, they've since improved their interface (previously I found it confusing) and I'll have to exert the effort to add all the purchase links from the ShapeOko wiki, except that it doesn't allow multiple vendors per part).

William
Last edited by WillAdams on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 pm

:)
Ender 3 3D Printer

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:28 pm

lol

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Well it's been a long time since I updated this thread - because it's been a long time since I made any changes to my ShapeOko. It's just been chugging along.

However over the last two days I finally added the limit switches to my ShapeOko!

Teaser photo:
x_switch_2.jpg
x_switch_2.jpg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Read all the details on my blog.
Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:05 pm

New blog post about my limit switches and their accuracy.
The limit switches seemed to be working great, and I was loving being able to home the machine and not have to re-zero my work all the time.

I even got some work done.

Then I tried to do some surfacing that used the YZ plane. Something about lots of Z movement made the limit switches randomly trip.
http://timf.anansi-web.com/wp/shapeoko- ... es-update/
Ender 3 3D Printer