Upsizing - the 2x4Oko build

mjohn

Re: Upsizing - the 2x4Oko build

Post by mjohn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Thought about epoxy, didn't seem right. What if i wanted to create a gap or different configuration? The stuff isn't expensive but dont want to buy more than I have to.
John Milleker Jr. - Historical Process Photographer/Instructor
Baltimore Maryland, USA - http://www.JohnMilleker.com
ShapeOko #1,284 - Upgrades: 2x4Oko (24x48" footprint), Double X rails, Acme-Z, Dual Y, DW660, IC's Dust Shoe w/Dust Collection.

mjohn

Post by mjohn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 am

Wiring is done, just need to make it pretty with some zip ties and velcro. I'll order cable track Monday.

Edit: Installed some poplar 1 1/2" wide, 1/2" thick and oh, 2' or so pieces as a scissor contraption as in the Wiki. The poplar actually looks nice and is pretty rigid. Flows freely (thanks to plenty of washers) and it also handles my vacuum hose with grace. Barring any problems, my cable management may be completed. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqhWZURn ... e=youtu.be

Took the gantry for a spin, final size is 938mm (36.9") on the X axis and 444mm (17.5") on the Y. If I have the Y plates all the way on the back brackets, bring them forward 444 and then take them back to 0, the right plate crashes. Not by much (1-2mm or so), but it's somehow getting ahead of the left plate. There is more wire between the left motor than there is the right motor. So, wondering if the extra 40" is really that critical? I'll do some more testing once I can get a pen marking paper on my work surface.\

Tomorrow is a new day, going to clean off all the tools, bits of wire sleeving and stray solder on my workboard and run a pen to all the corners to check for an accurate Z distance.
John Milleker Jr. - Historical Process Photographer/Instructor
Baltimore Maryland, USA - http://www.JohnMilleker.com
ShapeOko #1,284 - Upgrades: 2x4Oko (24x48" footprint), Double X rails, Acme-Z, Dual Y, DW660, IC's Dust Shoe w/Dust Collection.

pagercam

Post by pagercam » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 am

Love the scissor action very slick and seems to work perfectly seems like a better solution than the chain track stuff, I'd stick with that.

Nice work

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Will Winder wrote:I would drill through both pieces of maker slide in one of the T-Slots, then bolt it together using a T-Slot nut on one side.
That's what I'd do. It seems sturdier if you drill through both pieces, so that the bolt holds the cores together. The only problem is that, using M5 hex socket cap screws, the head (8.5mm diameter) is too big to fit through the slot (6mm wide), so the slot needs to be notched. There are other solutions (look at the Misumi catalog: they have several types of connectors that would be applicable).

Actually, what I would do is drill through both rails 4.2mm diameter, tap one rail M5, drill out the other rail 5mm diameter and notch the slot. Then I'd use M5 hex socket cap screws, no nuts. I've never had problems tapping MakerSlide, so I don't shy away from that. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm

cvoinescu wrote: Actually, what I would do is drill through both rails 4.2mm diameter, tap one rail M5, drill out the other rail 5mm diameter and notch the slot. Then I'd use M5 hex socket cap screws, no nuts. I've never had problems tapping MakerSlide, so I don't shy away from that. :)
I did, and it turned out pretty well I think.. :)

Thank you for the suggestion!
I did use M4 and 3.2mm drill bit however..
Have not gotten all my parts yet, so I have not tried using it.
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

Furnetcha

Post by Furnetcha » Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Doubling up the x-axis was a must-have mod for me after deciding to go with the Dewalt DW660, but I loathed the thought of the 2 makerslides coming out of square. This thread was useful in helping me make my decision. Someone mentioned the trade-off between flexibility to reuse the parts and a permanent bond. I decided to commit to a permanent solution.

Using J-B Weld as the adhesive made the job quick, easy, & definitely permanent. If you're unfamiliar, J-B Weld is a steel enforced epoxy that creates a stronger bond than standard epoxy. I especially like using it for jobs that involve aluminum. Lining the 2 makerslides up while the epoxy cured took a lot of clamps but was relatively simple. By overlapping the joints between pieces with scrap wood and rotating each clamp 90°, zero measurement was necessary to achieve square -- just a lot of clamping force. To make sure they didn't slide end-to-end, I started the clamping with the makerslides upright which kept the ends lined up.

I'm very happy with the results so I thought I'd share a couple of pics. The excess epoxy needs to be cleaned off because I was a little sloppy on the glue-up, but this is merely a cosmetic issue. I was sure to protect the threads of the tapped holes with painters tape. These 2 makerslides are never coming apart! Another minor benefit is the epoxy did not add any weight to the axis.
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-17.jpg
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-17.jpg (454.23 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-18.jpg
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-18.jpg (357.94 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-21.jpg
FurnetchaShapeoko-BuildPics-21.jpg (472.72 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 am

Looks good. I might have to do that the next time I take mine apart for a mod.

I'm still noodling on how to stiffen up the Z axis. That's where I see the most flex on my ShapeOko.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts