Shapeoko #298 build log

dointhangs

Shapeoko #298 build log

Post by dointhangs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Waaay late on getting a buildlog started, but its not like this will be the last time I will work on this thing so might as well start now! I have some cautionary tales too, so theres that.
I wanted to do a double x mod this weekend. It was a retrofit though so I did the lazy way of trying to drill out the holes while the y-axis plates were still mounted. Predictably this didnt go so well. The pic below its hard to tell but one of the makerslide sections is a little bit higher than the other, maybe 0.5mm or even a little more.
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.10.06 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.10.06 PM.png (382.6 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
The other thing I am going for is 3 series of wheels on the carriage:
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.09.58 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.09.58 PM.png (331 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Also note that i doubled up the carriage plates! Another note of caution though - I didnt have the perfect size bolts to do that. I adapted something and then cut the bolts with a band saw. On a couple of those bolts I am worried its going to be tough to back off the nuts. So just be patient and order the right size bolts.
I have no real data on this but I put it all together and apart from the problem described above it was SUPER stiff in terms of x/z flex. Exactly what I was hoping for. Sorry I cant tell how much the 3 wheel deal or double carriage was responsible.
The other thing which I can get better pics of is that i put the dual drive wiring through the inside of the makerslide... and made this kind of cool microrax enclosure with a fan mounted and mounted it onto the frame itself. It will travel with the y axis and then the little plastic scrap piece I found will hold the x and z wires up out of the way of everything:
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.10.23 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 12.10.23 PM.png (500.45 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
My wiring was straight up embarassing before so this is at least going in the right direction.
So now its all in pieces again. I dont like the way the two x makerslide pieces were off, so thats one thing. I am going to use these stainless plates I have from a batch 4 shapeoko, long story on that but I ordered that mechanical kit to be able to use all of the wheels and hardware for another project. Am I really seeing that the eccentric nuts dont properly fit these batch 4 motor plates? OK, Am going to drill those out then when I drill the holes for double x...
Also - this is straight up bizarre - my x axis motor seems to have developed a problem - it was working fine before I had things apart for this mod. Touching the pairs together is not resulting in locking the motor like it should. Weird? The motor makes a click when activated but doesnt move. Luckily I have another nema17 on hand, which I think works. But its an inventables nema17 - let me know anybody if you know if these are just capable of 8x and not 16x? Cheers friends take care.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

cvoinescu

Re: Shapeoko #298 build log

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

We need all the cautionary tales we can get, so thank you for taking the time to write this. :)

I think you can fix your misalignment: drill the holes slightly larger (5.5 or 6 mm at most), align the rails carefully, clamp them together*, then tighten the bolts firmly. I'd use 12 or 14 mm screws instead of 10 mm, but I'm paranoid (and I read somewhere that you needed at least 10 mm of threads in aluminum tapped M5, which seemed about right to me). It's not terribly important for the rails to be exactly aligned, as it is for them to be exactly the same at both ends.

* Clamping works only if your dual-X design requires the rails to touch.

Another thing I can answer:
dointhangs wrote:But its an inventables nema17 - let me know anybody if you know if these are just capable of 8x and not 16x?
All motors are capable of arbitrary microstepping. The only possible difference in the motor is 200 steps per revolution vs. 400. Several stepper manufacturers use a code like this: 42BYGHxxx or 42BYGHW is 200 steps, 42BYGHMxxx is 400 steps. The microstepping depends only on the driver. Texas Instruments DRV8811 and 8818 can do up to 8x; Allegro A4983 and 4988 can do 16x; DRV8825 can do 32x.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 am

well I somehow fried a polulu during this upgrade, that was the problem. No idea how. THe motor was probably fine, but I subbed in the 200 steps per rev inventables motor before I figured this out. (Got it regarding to refer to microstepping as a driver parameter and not a property of a motor.) I've got 16x microstepping going and even though its a 200 and not 400 step motor I think that I have read somewhere on the forum that I probably wont notice any kind of difference in ability of the motor in terms of fine detailed jobs?
So for now I have the two Y motors running off of one driver but I think that is also totally fine. In fact I think I found a post where you say you do this Cat.
Stand by for some cosmetic improvements on wiring and misc. stuff like that, Once I get that together the electronics could look pretty cool hanging out in that cube to the side like this.
So I may have to get ahold of a dewalt dw660 sometime :-) I feel like with this double x upgrade the machine is ready for it. I've got some jobs to run this week, theres no time for this thing to be out of service!
Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 12.25.05 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 12.25.05 AM.png (432.81 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

I also took the lazy way and drilled my plates for the double X axis mod without taking the machine apart.

I got lucky on one side and the holes came out in the right place. On the other side, not so much.

I ended up drilling and filing out the holes until I could get the rails where I wanted them. I also tapped the rails deep and used 20mm long bolts.

I don't think it's going anywhere. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 pm

heres a pic of where I am at.
I call this coloring scheme the "ketchup and mustard" look. :)
I'm still pretty happy with my little floating microrax enclosure that follows the y axis movements.
I am still nema17 all around. I sometimes wonder if the x axis nema17 is a little underpowered, just by appearance, but I have decided to wait until there is real evidence that it needs more until I go for a nema23.
I'm super pumped on my dewalt. I have the brush style vacuum mount and a little material escapes but most of it makes its way into the vacuum.
Pictured I am milling flat a big piece of the "easily machinable wax" inventables sells. I melt it down and cast it myself. I have been producing molds with it and the project calls for incremental adjustments in the molds, I just melt down the molds that I need to redesign. I have one vacuum dedicated to the wax and collect that. The only time I lose some is when I cut the mold out with the band saw in a nearby. Its a pretty kickass system and I am happy with it.
I am finally starting to get the hang of this soft robot project these molds are for and hope to have more good news soon. Here is a quick look at some progress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tehyPJKs ... Gw&index=1
If anyone is in the San Luis Obispo CA area I will show what I have off on May 11th at a mini maker faire there.
I started a thread somewhere on noise reduction but I have completely given up now that I have the DW660. This is a corner at work I can use. I wanna say the proxxon micromot I have was really nice if anyone is really concerned with sound. It can cut plastics and wood, you could set it a bit below its max rpm and basically have a conversation.
Cheers on all the great forum posts, learning lots guys.
Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 2.37.36 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 2.37.36 PM.png (482.15 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 2.36.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 2.36.25 PM.png (463.88 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 am

Looks great! I can't wait to start upgrading mine.

I think the theme name for those colors is "HotDog Stand".
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 am

"Hot Dog Stand" haha yes, love it, thanks for the compliment and yes these upgrades are very fun! Please update your progress!

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Alright upgraded bed size plus inserted "captive nuts" into a big piece of mdf for a hold down bed. - still evaluating but it looks pretty good.
Screen shot 2013-07-29 at 11.26.25 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-07-29 at 11.26.25 AM.png (443.53 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
I used the shapeoko to map out the hole pattern then drilled out holes on bench press, the captive nuts (mcmaster 94100A140) fit nice and snug in there mostly but I added a drop of wood glue so they hopefully wont pop out too easy. To be clear I did that on the underside of the mdf - you are seeing the top side where 5mm bolts go thru to access that nut.
Also printed out some clamps, I will probably make an intermediate size too or other. Next up, but honestly not soon, would be steel wheels and x-axis nema 23...
some pics of captive nut installation and a little evaluation of the machine engraving aluminum:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38543634@N ... 840217453/
also 30s video of it moving around. I think I am just under 18 inch x axis and 36 inch y.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-pFArr ... 9docm83VGw