Zerblatt's build

zerblatt007

Re: Zerblatt's build

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Finally I've got the spindle control relay in place. Now I don't have to wrestle with the switch on the Kress anymore to start/stop.. :)

Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 pm

How did you wire it to the Kress ?
Do you simply keep the switch of the Kress always on the start position and simply plays with the relay ?

I'd like to do this on my Shapeoko as well especially to get the Kress linked to the estop button.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 pm

PsyKo wrote:How did you wire it to the Kress ?
Do you simply keep the switch of the Kress always on the start position and simply plays with the relay ?
Yes, I just put the relay and fuse in series with the Kress, and have the switch on the Kress in on position. If needed I can always switch it off manually or to be really sure it will not start when changing bits.

I have not wired in the emergency stop to the spindle yet, as I have to buy an extra module for the stop button to do that. But it is on my list too.. :)
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 pm

For a little extra safety, I would put the OFF position at one end, not in the middle (so OFF -- AUTO -- ON). That way, you won't accidentally move the switch from ON all the way to AUTO instead of just to OFF, and risk the spindle starting on you if the software feels like it.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am

cvoinescu wrote:For a little extra safety, I would put the OFF position at one end, not in the middle (so OFF -- AUTO -- ON). That way, you won't accidentally move the switch from ON all the way to AUTO instead of just to OFF, and risk the spindle starting on you if the software feels like it.
Yes, I did want that, but the switch I had did not have enough terminals to support that setup without extra circuitry. (It is a 3 terminal, 3 way switch. Middle position is when nothing is connected = off)
So the extra security will have to wait 'till the next iteration.. :)

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 am

Great Build!

Another thing to consider adding the next iteration is LEDs to show switch position. That way you can read the switch status across the room.

Perhaps none = off, blue = auto, read = on. I do this with the test equipment we design at work.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

bjbsquared wrote:Great Build!
Another thing to consider adding the next iteration is LEDs to show switch position. That way you can read the switch status across the room.
Perhaps none = off, blue = auto, read = on. I do this with the test equipment we design at work.
That would definitively be something to add when I do add a tiny perfboard, yes.
I do have a tiny one there already with a attiny as a fan controller, and I will probably make a bigger one with nice-to-have circuitry and make a new fan controller on that board.
Right now I have not added connectors for everything, and that will be painful very soon. So I have to do some rewiring when I know what I want there.

Is it duo LEDs you use, or is it best to have separate LEDs for readability/security?

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Is it duo LEDs you use, or is it best to have separate LEDs for readability/security?
I like to use separate LEDs. I find the visual separation helps.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 am

Finally got the vacuum attached and running. Now I can mill acryl without getting stuff under the wheels all the time. :D

But the noiselevel vent up quite a bit..
This is without anything on:

This is with only the Kress spindle running:

And this is when both the spindle and the vacuum running:

I might have to look at making a muffler or something, because running the vacuum all the time is unbearable.
Maybe something like this would make a difference: http://www.me.mtu.edu/courses/meem4704/ ... report.pdf
Anybody tried doing this?

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Nice build! I think you'r enclosure cost as much or more then the machine though:p I am looking at similar solutions, with sound isolation. But it's kinda expensive.I would not worry about the vacuum since you have it enclosed. Just let it mill w/o the vacuum on, and then clean up after it's done. Where did you buy the kress by the way? I'm considering it too, but so far only found it on elfa for >5000kr.. :shock:
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.