ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

LTMNO

ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

Post by LTMNO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Hello All, I have been versing up on the ShapeOko CNC and am very excited to build one out. I am moved by what people have done with this product and hope to be able to build one out soon. I am this close to placing my order and was wondering if people here could help out on a sanity check of my BOM.
Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 9.43.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 9.43.39 PM.png (75.27 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
The following is what I could find online at 'Inventables' and thru reading most of your posts.
The problem I am having being in Canada is sourcing the Electronics for the stepper motors (ie Shield) for my Arduino Uno.
I plan on using the 4th stepper for the Double Y and am not 100% on the best way to do that via the electronics. Arduino + Shield or a Standalone system. If performance wise it doesn't matter, then I will stick with my Arduino. Otherwise I am happy to go the other route.

In my BOM I plan on extending the work space by having a 500mm by 500mm table. Its not much more than the 375mm but those 4 inches just make a difference via the table top. I have no worries Tapping the MakerSlides.

If someone can help out with the Open Ended Plates and the Electronic plates, that would be greatly appreciated.

All the best! Hope to have my Tag #### Soon.

Sincerely,

Pino

Update:
1- purchased TinyG on March 14, 2013
Last edited by LTMNO on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

Improbable Construct

Re: Pre-Shapeoko #XXXX Build Log

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Your BOM looks pretty good but I see a couple of things...

You are planing on ordering my NEMA 23 kit for the Z axis but you are ordering NEMA 17 motors. Looks like you need to either order NEMA 23 motors and you will also need some 1/4" toothed pulleys or you don't need the NEMA 23 kit.
What is the threaded rod for?

I can't really help you with the control side, I am just setting up a tinyG on my small machine and I am running Mach3 with a commercial controller on the other one.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:Your BOM looks pretty good but I see a couple of things...

You are planing on ordering my NEMA 23 kit for the Z axis but you are ordering NEMA 17 motors. Looks like you need to either order NEMA 23 motors and you will also need some 1/4" toothed pulleys or you don't need the NEMA 23 kit.
What is the threaded rod for?

I can't really help you with the control side, I am just setting up a tinyG on my small machine and I am running Mach3 with a commercial controller on the other one.
Hello IC, thanks for the feedback, I made a type and need to correct the extra Nema 17. But that brings up a good question as should I have the same stepper motors through out? or can i have the NEMA 23 on the Z and NEMA 17's on the X/Y?

I put the NEMA Kit in there as a last minute thing as I realized if i upgrade the Z-axis it is probably prudent to upgrade the Motor as well for heavier work.

Regarding the threaded rod is for creating a dual Y Bar and building a spacer for it like 'wlanfox' did.

What are referring to regarding the Tooth Pulleys? I am not sure I am following you...?

Also, I researched the TinyG and it got great reviews, i am just not sure if i want to buy a $40 programmer to update it. At this point, I have no problems with working on Mach3 or LinuxCNC, I haven't played with them yet... but I come from the technology space and working with CAD and various software platforms is not a problem. Just have to try them out.

Would you go double Y or Axle between them?

Thanks again.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm

You can have any arrangement of motors that you want, but it is probably a good idea to have matched motors for the dual Y and X. A NEMA 17 motor should be fine on the Z axis. The NEMA 23 motors are just bigger and usually more powerful but not necessarily better.

I think that starting this week the tinyG has a built in boot loader. So no programmer required.

The NEMA 23 motors usually have an 1/4" shaft and the NEMA 17 motors ahve a 5mm shaft.
So if you go with NEMA 23 motors on the X and Y you have to get pulleys to fit the 1/4" shafts.

I am partial to the dual Y motors vs. the drive shaft but that is a personal preference.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:You can have any arrangement of motors that you want, but it is probably a good idea to have matched motors for the dual Y and X. A NEMA 17 motor should be fine on the Z axis. The NEMA 23 motors are just bigger and usually more powerful but not necessarily better.

I think that starting this week the tinyG has a built in boot loader. So no programmer required.

The NEMA 23 motors usually have an 1/4" shaft and the NEMA 17 motors ahve a 5mm shaft.
So if you go with NEMA 23 motors on the X and Y you have to get pulleys to fit the 1/4" shafts.

I am partial to the dual Y motors vs. the drive shaft but that is a personal preference.
Thanks for the clarification... makes a lot of sense.
I reckon I will stick with the NEMA 17's and if I find that they are not doing the job, I can always make new mounts and changes as I get going.

I will update the BOM...

as for the TinyG, i will have to check that out again. Thanks for the update on that one.

Again, much appreciated for your feedback.

Cheers!

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Its just so difficult to buy stuff from the USA in Canada.
I just received my TinyG CNC Controller, Thanks Riley. ;-)
I was also charged
$27.30 CDN (Customs)
on top of the
$129.99USD (item cost)
+ $33.95USD (S+H)
======================
$191.24

a wopping $64 in shipping/taxes to get the item to Canada. Its ridiculous. A they wonder why people smuggle stuff into the country.

Nonetheless, my rant is over and I am 1 step closer to completing my build.

Thanks again Riley, nicely packed...

Regards,

Pino

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy the Open Ended Plates?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I have open end plates for the eShapeOko, and they'll work on the ShapeOko too, but shipping them outside Europe is frightfully expensive.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Do we have the CAD files for the open end plates? Looks straightforward enough to draw up.

What materials could they be made from?

I've actually been wondering if they could be made from something available at ponoko.com, or even a home improvement store.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I have open end plates for the eShapeOko, and they'll work on the ShapeOko too, but shipping them outside Europe is frightfully expensive.
Hi, I was looking at the eShapeOko, it looks amazing... love the modifications to it minus the Z axis motor mount(but that should be rectified with z-axis upgrade).

What is the damage to send to Canada? for God and Country. ;-) We are both from the Commonwealth.