ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

LTMNO

Re: ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

Post by LTMNO » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello 'cvoinescu',
Yes, I totally understand... Don't have a choice in Canada with MakerSlide... unfortunately...
I was going to replace the motor screws and bring it in a bit closer... but its very stiff as is... really...
I am going to hopefully play with it and see what happens... I might just have to change it after all.

Thanks for the feedback.

p.s. I do have your plates on there ;-)
I will eventually make a new motor plates and perhaps a spacer to stiffin up the y-axis gap between plates.

Just need to get this thing running... :(
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Just an update...
for the life of me, I just can't get the time to get downstairs and wire up this ShapeOko!
I have purchased the rest of the wiring and have pulled them thru the housings... I have to figure out the best way to mount the drag-chain and then decide whether to solder the connections to the motors via connectors.
I think the hesitation has been with the issues with the TinyG setup... I am confident that the firmware stuff is resolved and will make time this week to get it all wired up.
Not that anyone cares... but I just wanted to add this to the Blog.
I also need to figure out the Limit Switch setups... I have 3 prongs on the switches and will just have to test which 2 best prongs are to be used for the TinyG.

Cheers.

Update...
Okay, I made it downstairs.... after putting the kids to bed and instead of watching 'Sons of Anarchy', I figure what the heck get this thing wired up....

I was able to solder/wire up the X/Y/Z Motors to my Shielded 4wire cabling.
I was able to wire up the Limit Switches on the X and Y via CAT5 Cabling.
I need to work out the DragChain setup... have ideas and will execute tomorrow hopefully.. but i have a problem with the Z Limit Switches.
I am not sure what is the best method of doing so and also whether or not the Dewalt Routers is in the right place? With the Z-axis all the way up it doesn't see there is much room for a bit and clearance from any material... maybe 3-4 inches... not sure how far up the bit should be?

To any Dewalt Users our there... how far up from the base (Black Square) is the Collet of the Router? at this time I have it pretty much even with mine.

Thanks.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Regarding the dewalt questions. I put the very bottom of the z axis makerslide about 1/4 of an inch higher than the lowest point on the collet(without bit installed). The idea being that you will have the most travel without limiting your maximum cutting depth. If you put the z axis bar any higher than that you are going to limit your relief height as your v-wheels will reach the end of the makerslide while the router is at a lower point. The one thing that made the most difference in my cutting accuracy was to utilize two different size mount for the 660. This allowed me to shim the upper mount and allign the bit to be perfectly vertical and now my cuts look like laser cuts without needing finishing passes.

Another thing to consider when looking at total clearance for material is the further you extend the z axis downward the more torque is applied about the x axis. This is the weakest point in the Shapeoko design as z-axis play will contribute greatly to inaccuracy of the machine. Most modifications done to all machines are there to minimize the z axis flex that is very difficult to eliminate. I believe that with a endmill installed, my maximum z axis travel from top until it touches the spoil board is 55mm.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Its been a long time and there is no excuse other than I have just not had the time for this hobby and was just not getting around to it due to the frustration with working on beta software. No fault but my own and I have just decided to pass that hurdle and figure out a new way but in the meantime get this wired up and ready for testing.

I had to do a few things to the Machine so that to better allow me to work on material. I had to raise the Router to the midpoint of the Z-Axis Makerslide so that I now have more than 30mm clearance after the bit is in place. I have have 3¼ inches or approx 85mm to the chuck and that should easily give me 2 to 2½ inches to base depending on the bit. I don't plan on working with material more than an 1inch at any given time. ( the y-homing switch is well clear height wise to what i will be working with when i have bit in place.
Clearance.jpg
Clearance.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
I have finished wiring the TinyG and broke out the heat shrink, the soldering iron and shielded cabling. All limit/homing switches are wired and tested true with ohms meter.
X-Axis.jpg
X-Axis.jpg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
The X-switches limit contact to a right angle bar that is shown in the next post (due to limitations)
Y-Axis.jpg
Y-Axis.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
The Y-switches limit contact to the front and back plates

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Cont'd
Stop Block.jpg
Stop Block.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
The Right Angle Bar for contact mounted to Y Plate for the X-Axis

Here is a view of the Under Carriage of the X-Axis and Sensor Mounting.
I actually had to drill a few holes in the bottom of the Z-Axis mount and tap'd them with 4x40 tap so I could screw in the sensor securely. I also dampened the switch with some double sided vibration tape for when the router is in operation.
Under Carraige.jpg
Under Carraige.jpg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
And FInally, the TInyG all wired up.
I created a quick connect with 2x7 molex connector and soldered the Cat5 Cables on them securely and then Rubberized and Heat Shrunk the end of it.
Board Wiring.jpg
Board Wiring.jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Cont'd

And finally the overall picture…
Full View.jpg
Full View.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
So what's next???

Well, I broke out the tgFX application again tested it. It is not production ready IMO. It doesn't draw properly on the screen, it crashed my Mac environment and that has never happened before with any application. I did update to the latest release and uploaded the latest release firmware to my TinyG 380.08

When I use CoolTerm, all works great and is very responsive. I am going to try to figure out what is the simplest method for me to start milling.

I have to say that reading the notes carefully really cleared up a lot for me on the TinyG and I wanted to share in case others missed it for configuring the Homing and Limit Switches.
Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 12.06.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 12.06.02 PM.jpg (157.45 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
I leave for vacation tomorrow but assured when I return I will begin playing with this CNC Machine.

Happy Holidays to All!

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Oh, when I do get this going and milling, I will create a power box with external connectors.
I have the Cable Chain already and will create a nice mount for the X and Y Axis.

Soon, I will have to figure out that milling bits to buy and how to use them along with all the other wonderful learning experiences for how to Mill in general.
;-)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 pm

LTMNO wrote: I leave for vacation tomorrow but assured when I return I will begin playing with this CNC Machine.
Take a sketchbook and pencils / pens and draw some things up.

(I've also started using my user page on the wiki for project notes --- currently they're all up-grades, but hopefully will actually get working soon)

I'd really like to see a G-code-oriented drawing program --- I guess I should put more effort into InkScape, but it's just painful for me to use in comparison to FreeHand.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:21 am

Hi WillAdams, I will have to take a look at your page and see whats new... Last i remember you finished your first upgrade and not was working on a bigger model.

As expected, I couldn't leave well enough alone... I had to tinker with my CNC this afternoon even when I didn't have anytime.
Interestingly, I was able to Home the System or should I say $home ;-)

The table finally homed successfully for X, Y, Z but not with problems. I had to reverse the polarity on a few motors as the Y was going in the wrong direction and the home position on the Y-axis was the back and the X was the left. Well the X was right but the Y was not. After a simple $2po=1 and $3po=0, that was all straightened out. The system homes to Front/Left and the Z finally starts its way up and finds the Switch and backs off a few mm. We are set for some milling.

When I return, i dare to mount a Milling Bit and perhaps engrave something as I have a 1/4 Steel Engraving bit and a 1/4 Steel Single Flute bit. I will pull out some scrap wood and give it a go. When I return. I have to say that the emergency stop button came in handy a few times when the Z wanted to bottom out on some of the test scripts ($test=1 and $test=3) I think I am going to rig up a limit switch for the downward motion of the Z to be safe.

Happy Holidays all and talk to you in the New Year.

Pino.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Happy New Year All!
LTMNO_ShapeOko.jpg
LTMNO_ShapeOko.jpg (279.07 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Alright, I think I got the hang of it... played around today with some CAM tools and GCode Viewers...
I have followed Edward's Tutorial and I think I have the Jist of it....

I am going to run this job tonight when the kids go down for bed.

I was playing around the last few days for a few hours when I had a moment on the HOMING and I think it is all set I run the commands every start up and the machine homes to X0 Y0 Z0
$hom command gives the homing enabled for X Y Z.

I have also noticed that I have 700mm (27.5591 inches) of Travel in the X and Y directions respectively.

The Z is only set on Homing and Disabled on Limit and I really would like to rig up a Limit Switch on the End Point... I guess, I need to figure out at every Mill Time what the End Point/Limit is before I run a job.

I guess depending on the End Mill the height or Limit will change but the constant is 0 for the Homing.

I think however that if I was to optimize the Milling that the job would run more efficiently if I just cut out a box where the wording is and then did the arc's and circles around the letters only instead of moving around several mm/inch around like shown in the image above.

Stay tuned...

The good news, the ShapeOko Hello World draws nicely with not flaws. I wonder if I should run the some tests like others on the distance that is traveled when sending a Gcode traverse of 50 mm and then measure the 50mm?