ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

LTMNO

Re: ShapeOko #1508 Build Log

Post by LTMNO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Well, its been a week or so and I never did get to running that job. I feel horrible as I always say with the best intentions that I am going to try/do something but it doesn't pan out.
Now, I finally had a moment today to try to get this going again and its never an easy task getting the time and or confidence to run the job.
I am not 100% on the Milling Bits part and making sure that I can do this successfully.
If anyone has some nice examples/vids based on some Milling Bits that would be useful.
I have two bits now... 2 Milling Bits now.

1) High Speed Steel 1 Flute (Straight) Bit

2) Solid Carbide 1F Engraving Bit

So I guess I can carve something out with the (High Speed Steel 1 Flute (Straight) Bit) and make wide letters at 1/4 spacing and or engrave with the (Solid Carbide 1F Engraving Bit) but not sure on how deep I guess that is a trial and error thing... but this is just for detail I assume like writing letters in aluminum or detail, etc.. but not really for removing material.

I assume I need a vast array of the 2) Bits to remove different amounts of material at any given time... what is a good base of bits to have?

Thanks for any input.

Also, as always and in true form, I never finish one thing and start another project, I just bought the BeagleBone Black with CNC Cape and going to run LinuxCNC on it. I want to see something visual and TinyG is just not providing that yet. I will still hold on to it and see where the Dev goes.
Last edited by LTMNO on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:15 am

Just use the first bit for everything (until you learn enough about using it and its limitations that you discover why / when you'd need a different end mill) except for the engraving--- use the second bit for that, and for its depth, if you use a sophisticated progrom such as F-Engrave it'll use appropiate depths when you enter into it the angle of the V-bit: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/F-Engrave
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Its with great disappointment that I bring you my first failed attempt at milling something.
After spending so much time setting up, testing, fastening down the material, checking clearance, measuring distance, etc... I find myself holding the vacuum with one hand and working some magical trick by trying to click on the mouse to send the file to coolTerm so that it could start to process the G-Code for my TinyG. And then quickly trying to get a reach of the E-Stop in case I have to punch the button.

Well, I tried a very simple cut/design. I was going to just carve out the letters LTMNO.
I measured the height of the material which was 2mm from the bit and I positioned the router at the start point.
I then make sure I configured the Pocket Cut and the Profile Cut accordingly...
Screenshot 2014-01-13 09.10.01.jpg
Pocket
Screenshot 2014-01-13 09.10.01.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Screenshot 2014-01-13 09.10.15.jpg
Screenshot 2014-01-13 09.10.15.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
The minute I have powered the TinyG and then am ready to start the Router... The Limits/Homing trip at Router Start-Up, I rehome the machine and then try again.. same thing.
So then I Start the Router and then Startup the TinyG and no Tripping of the Limits occur? Very Strange.

I then do the Magic Trick and start the Milling....

I get one quick movement and it don't look right so I stop the job.
Here is the result.
photo 2.JPG
Results
photo 2.JPG (114.56 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:10 pm

photo 1.JPG
The Full View
photo 1.JPG (152.08 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
At this point, I might just try again this morning... but I am really want something visual or feedback wise via the GUI.
I need to know where it is and if in fact it is there... Coordinates, etc...and visually see on the UI if the machine is doing
what it is suppose to be doing. I will make another attempt but then wait for my BeagleBone CNC Cape and get Linux CNC going.

as always, open to suggestions...

Just to note, when I home my machine... its the bottom left, front corner that gets homed. The Z raises to the top and then moves down a good cm at least.
Is the proper way to get the machine to start at the point in which I want it to is to send the GO X(coord) Y(coord) and then my job G-Code?
Also, regarding the material height... where do I set that fact that my stock is 2mm underneath the tip? which is 2mm from 0 homing position.

Thanks again.

Pino.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Well, we finally have some success!!!

What did I do?

1) reversed the Z Motor Polarity as it was not clear to me( before that is ) but clear when I tested the Job Run on (http://openscam.com/) which is a really amazing tool. You can run the job and find out how long its going to take and see all the motions...
2) secondly, I homed the system after starting the motor, I then set where I wanted the start position to be 1mm from the stock in the right x/y position and ran a G.28 command for X/Y/Z.
3) then I sent my G-Code File to the router via the TinyG Controller.

and rest is in the video.

And just to add, this is Hard Oak!