Tony's ShapeOko #1894F

xtonyx

Re: Tony's ShapeOko #1894F

Post by xtonyx » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 am

I put a new collet on my Dremel wand, I had lost the old one.... I fiddled with it for a few and it appears to be solid and true, so hopefully not too much runout from it.

I stopped at the hardware store to get the longer screws I needed and picked up these big fat spacers too.. I used them on the z trolley to replace the 3/4" ones the kit came with. Seems to have stiffened it up a bit.. The center hole fits the m5 screws much snugger than the kit spacer. I left out the washer between the plate and the spacer since its bigger than the washer. Pic below.. Left is new, right is from the kit.
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
tony

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 am

Stepper shield from EJS arrived today, so I assembled it and crudely wired everything up. Printed my Hello World with moderate success... More to come when I get there.
tony

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok. Notes from wiring it up.. The ShapeOko wiki and forum appeared to be down yesterday when I started wiring this up, so I was without documentation other than his site and videos.

Regarding EJS (Reactive Substance) Stepper Shield kit and other items I bought from him. It is a beautiful kit. The board just looks nice. It goes together very well, and being black it matches the Pololu black drivers nicely. The video series is a fun bonus and I just watched it as I soldered away. A quick diagram of what goes where and how, with some notes would have been easier to follow, but the videos forced me to slow it down and I think we all need that sometimes. I like his little heatsinks too. Now I need some LEDS and a case with windows.......... :mrgreen:

I soldered all of the parts to the board with my 15w iron, except for the wire terminals. I switched to a 30w after soldering the first pin with the 15w because it wasn't enough to get the solder to flow nicely. Note that I had also switched to a thicker solder because I used up my other spool so that might have something to do with it. The 30w was a bit much when I soldered the center pin on my power supply socket and the pin got a bit loose.. oops. If you put the plug in the socket before you solder it it will probably hold it all together for you. It all works nicely. After trimming all the pins from the underside of the board, I did have to trim back the ones above the USB and power ports on the UNO even more. I put a piece of electrical tape above the USB port to insulate it just in case.

I simply attached the existing wires from each motor on to the terminals in the order according to Reactive Substance how to website. He mentioned the color of the wires was for the SparkFun motors, but for the nema17 steppers from Inventables you'll need to switch one pair of leads. Mine worked properly in Black-Green-Red-Blue order, with the red and blue swapped on my second Y axis motor. This is nice because it's the same order as the ribbon wire I ordered.

I am curious how the power supply will perform. I read something about the 24v power supplies being better than 12v, having snappier response, etc.. so I guess I could always upgrade in the future.

Here is a snippy doo of it dragging paper around on the table.
tony

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Here is a clip of me playing with some engraving stock... The dremel wand worked fine. The problem with the dremel is it doesn't have the power to turn that 1/8" bit on deeper/faster passes. I cut some brackets out if cutting board material for my rotozip and it can cut through plastics at a 1/8" deep pass at 90ipm without slowing down.

tony

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Excellent! Could you share your files and the specs forr the Roto-zip so we can add it to the spindle options and mounts page?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Rotozip specs and mount is all posted here.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1856
tony

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm

So I learned that your work area is NEVER going to be big enough, and you'll always push it to the boundaries and end up racking on the last shape it cuts. Ugh.

The Z-Axis needs to be lined up as perfectly as it can be, and might need some changes. It probably needs spots on the drive pin and rod to use those set screws on the coupler. If I can turn the speed down on the Z-axis it might be ok, but otherwise it's slipping on the lift and then when it plunges down it's going deeper than it thinks. Probably need to build a solid motor mount instead of using those spacers. I will note that I have a bent Z axis rod which I am sure contributes to this greatly, and a wobbly wheel on the X/Z trolley that makes a nice wave as it cuts along the X axis and has nothing to do with it but is kind of funny. I'm not building space ships and I don't measure with calipers so I'm ok with this for the time being.

That being said I'd like to give a big fat thanks to Inventables.com for their GREAT service. I purchased my mechanical kit from them as well as other parts. After I got it all together and working, and after getting everything tuned up the best I could I found that two of my parts were wonky. I emailed them on the evening of the 4th of July letting them know my drive screw was bent a little, and one of my V wheels was out of round (yes the wheel, not the spacer/bearing/user error). I had a response the next morning (Friday, July 5) and a tracking number on Monday (the 8th). I'll have my parts today. I am always happy when I don't have to jump through hoops to get something simple like that rectified. I've placed two orders with them so far, and I will definitely go back to them when I need something else.

Also, I saw a thread regarding EJS (Reactive Substance) supposed poor customer service. I tend to stay out of that stuff because my experience in business is that sometimes an unhappy customer is going to be unhappy no matter what. I too ordered from EJS, and I was very happy with my experience and the items I ordered. It appears that the shapeoko parts are a hobby of his, so I expect a hobbyists amount of service. His site states 6 day lead time, plus shipping time and I received my items well packaged and within two weeks of ordering so that seems fair. I know that this kind of wait can be hard for most of us in a time when we expect near instant gratification with order confirmations, shipping confirmations, same day turnarounds, tracking numbers, and free two day shipping (I am so spoiled by amazon prime), and even email customer service and chat boxes. I was very happy with what I received from him, and the amount of documentation he provides for the products he sells on his website is superb. Outside of assembling your Shapeoko, in a single page he explains how to assemble all of your electronics and get them working happily. Thanks for that EJS.
Last edited by xtonyx on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tony

xtonyx

Post by xtonyx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Here are some more pics of my setup, and me making a mess..

You can see my ribbon cables on the first and second picture. My Y2 motor cable runs in a slot on the Makerslide. Z/X are short enough and rigid enough to just maintain a nice loop behind the trolley. The zip tie had slipped off my X motor but it was just tied around it neatly. All of the wiring gets tied together on the Y1 (right side) and then is just like an umbilical to the controller. The power cord for the spindle just kinda dangles because I've been swapping between it and the Dremel. Someone had posted a Shapeoko-styled kit that has the electronics mounted to the actually Y block and that might be an idea for the future so it's only dragging a USB and power cable around. You can see my cutting board mounts I made for the Rotozip, and also the after of what it was cutting. That's 25mm PVC board if you're curious.
IMG_0899.JPG
Ribbon Cables
IMG_0899.JPG (269.34 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
IMG_0898.JPG
Rotozip Mounts
IMG_0898.JPG (353.03 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
IMG_0901.JPG
25mm PVC
IMG_0901.JPG (322.55 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
tony