Build Log 1709F

kerrycorcoran

Build Log 1709F

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Figured I'd post a few images of the build and comment on some hurdles that I encountered during the build.

For building the ShapeOko I followed the Wiki as my guide. Honestly, the kit is incredibly easy to assemble, however there is SOLID HELPFUL information in the Wiki that makes things go smoother.

To start, I laid out all the parts and took a quick inventory; reviewing what I had versus what was listed on the BOM. Everything was accounted for. Should mention that the kit (Full Kit) BOM shows only a single Terminal Block; should be (3) total. I have contacted Inventables and made them aware of this. A quick trip to Radio Shack and I'll move forward.

Per the Wiki, I started assembly of the components. I did decide to paint my metal parts, with the exception of the end plates. I knew from the onset I have plans to modify the build, so I figured I'd not worry about painting the end plates for now. Above the X, Y w/ motor mounted, and Z Plate Axis assemblies.

Gantry Assembly completed. Note, the oil from the M5 Hex-head bolts will leave finger prints on everything; be careful if you want to preserve the appearance of the tool.

Finished the mechanical build without any real gotcha's. One thing to note [that is mentioned in other threads], is making sure the Eccentric Spacers are flush. While performing this task it'll make sense, however it may seem very difficult to fit properly. I simply put a washer on the end, finished with a nut and slowly tightened the bolt. As you tightened the bolt it will walk the spacer into place without any issue. I have read other posts of using a vise ,etc - no need.

Moving on with wiring, be sure to pay close attention to the color and placement. The Wiki images do not reflect the currently shipped wire colors exactly.

Note the blue wire (from the motors) matches to the white wire (from the Driver Board).

Should note the Wiki also indicates that the kits ship w/ an E-Stop button. The newest kit no longer have an E-Stop assembly and Phil (Inventables) was very quick to reply with modified wiring information.

After it was all wired up and ready to go I noticed that all three axis were inverted. Searched the forum and the web and read multiple articles about reversing the wires and/or changing the Invert statement on the controller. I wanted to correct this on the controller, however the Wiki incorrectly states to make a change on Value $7. For this board, the correct Value to change is value $6 (changed to 160).

These were the notes from my build. Fairly uneventful and straightforward. Overall I would say the kit is VERY easy to assemble and run pen tests. The real fun will start as soon as I feel comfortable enough to actually start cutting real parts and quit drawing cubes on a piece of paper.

I have posted a (horrible quality video) of the 'Hello World' test run. http://youtu.be/sYTwXA00lGw
Last edited by kerrycorcoran on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selektha

Re: Build Log 1709F

Post by selektha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 am

I would be more precise with wiring the electronics, on the images it looks like it is possible that you will have a short-circuit that will possible fry your electronics.

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:56 pm

selektha wrote:I would be more precise with wiring the electronics, on the images it looks like it is possible that you will have a short-circuit that will possible fry your electronics.
That is a shot of the temporary wiring, simply for testing to ensure all was working. I am in the process of cleaning up the spaghetti mess you see in the pictures. :)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Agree that it would be better to strip and trim the wires more evenly --- getting some shrink tubing would likely be the easiest thing.

I added a line to the relevant page on the wiki:
Inventables Revision F and later (serial numbers which end in the letter F) --- Apparently the kit has been changed and no longer includes the E-stop, and the terminal block is now 3 discrete blocks, instead of one block which must be cut up
w/ a reference to this thread. I guess what we really need is:

- Someone should document which Serial #s where in which batches
- Someone needs to upload up-dated instructions as the kits change
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

bobt

Post by bobt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Could that someone be Edward as he now works at Inventables and has been a big help with resolving problems with the kits.

Just a gentle poke at Edward. He does FANTASTIC work.

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Updating the instructions is one of those un-sexy tasks that never get done because, well, there's always something more urgent, or at least more interesting, to do.

It also doesn't help that it's a fairly involved process to make even small changes. I don't know how it is for Edward, but my current workflow is pretty time-consuming, even when there's only one part that changes and a single image to update. That's partly why I'm trying to move away from WYSIWYG and on to a YAFIYGI workflow: if all operations are scripted, the computer can do them again and again, each time I make a change, and generate and even upload the finished image. Camera positioning, rendering styles, cropping, format conversion, adding the callouts to the rendered image -- all that can be described and saved as text, or imported from files that are rarely edited. I'm slowly getting there.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes, Edward is Edward R. Ford, the designer of the ShapeOko.

Hopefully we'll be able to get things updated / explained on the wiki Real Soon Now, and hopefully we'll better manage the launch of the next iteration of machines.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Well, I took the "plunge" today. I am sure i'm the first to you that terminology. ;)

Ran an actual job with the Dremel and a bit that was shipped with the kit.

Still nervous and learning, I played it safe and milled my name into Dow (Blue) foam. Decided to only go down 1/8" so as to not ruin my spoilerboard and possible avoid any "gotcha's" associated with newbies. :o

Not quite ready to try wood, but definitely know I need to read more about preferred bit speeds and how fast the bit should be pushed through "X" material.

Oh, and of course, I did this only after I cleaned up my wiring mess.