I finally got around to assembling my ShapeOko - it was shipped to me from Inventables on July 8, so my assumption is that mine is from the latest batch (batch 5?).Gadgetman! wrote:
Then I started on the Y-axis idler.
Methinks there's a problem with the holes as the eccentric spacers won't fit the holes.
Didn't fit on the Y-axis motor mount, or the X-axis plate, either.
No problem with the Z-axis plate, though.
Also, there's a problem with the M3 washers. 3 of them aren't M3 at all, so I only have one left after fitting the X and Y motors.
I also found that the holes for the eccentric spacers on the X- and Y-axis plates were too small, but the holes in the Z-axis plate were fine.
The too-small holes had a diameter that was less than 0.277", while the diameter of the eccentric shaft parts was about 0.279", a difference of a bit more than 0.002". I found that a size "K" drill bit with a nominal diameter of 0.281" opened up the holes well enough for a good fit.
(Yes, I know that you're in Europe, so your toolchest may not contain fractional inch tools, but that's what I mostly have in mine, with the odd exception. )
And I also found that several of the M3 washers were not as advertised, as the hole was too small to fit the motor mounting cap screws. I bought the dual-drive kit which came with some extra M3 washers, and so I was able to complete the motor mounting without the need to run to the hardware store (or attempting to enlarge the hole in the washers).
While I have not yet completed the assembly process, it looks like I will have a lot of extra parts left over (not that that's necessarily 'a bad thing'). Maybe I got someone else's (or maybe I have missed some critical assembly steps which are going to surprise me when I try to get things running).
My current challenge is to get the Z-axis drive screw locked into place with the M8 nuts - I'm going to try the modified approach that I saw in the wiki, with one nut above the bearing and the other one below it (but I may need to have two nuts below the bearing to keep all of the nuts in place). My current mystery, though, is to figure out where to get a super-thin 13mm open-ended wrench that I can fit between the bottom of the shaft coupler and the top of the bearing, to hold the M8 nut in place while I crank up the torque on the nut(s) below the bearing. I may need to make my own wrench out of some aluminum sheet just to get it done.