#2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Gadgetman!

Re: #2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:42 pm

I have the Stepper shield soldered together and installed.
I didn't find the 2A rated drivers that I know I have, though, so had to plunder the Polulus from my derelict Prusa Mendel.
And they doesn't seem to deliver enough power for the Y-axis.

No, I didn't install two drivers for the Y-axis. That would require me to rewire the second motor, and right now I can't dig out the enthusiam to do that. Maybe tomorrow...
(Unless I manage to find the correct drivers)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:41 pm

I have found the DRV8825-based drivers...

And have now one less of them....

A stray wire in the enclosure originally planned to be used for a fourth axis somehow came loose from the tape, and touched the driver...
That punctured the chip and let out the magic blue smoke... And probably killed off a couple of pins on the Mega328 mCU on the Arduino, too.

I have spares for the driver, but not for the Arduino.
I thought I had, but they're all crappy clones from China (doflye.net) and no matter what I do, I can't get the Xloader to work on it.

In other news, I found an eBayer who sold 0.01, 0.02 and 0.1mm steel material. Just about perfect for adjusting the angle between the X-axis and the motor plates.

Now to find someone who has genuine Unos in stock and can ship quickly.

EDIT: Seems Elfa has them in stock in Norway, and may be able to ship already tomorrow...
Maybe, just maybe my weekend won't be wasted...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 pm

*Sigh*

Arduino(s) are listed as 'ready for pickup' so I doubt I get anything in time for the weekend.
(I ordered 3... )

Good news, though, is that today I got a 9/32" HSS drill-bit.
(The eccentric spacers need that size hole. )
Weird guy...

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey Gadget,
Couldn't you just route the holes? (sort of a null point though as you already purchased it)

I ask because I have been sort of going back and forth on how to deal with drills. As I understand it, GRBL does not natively support just a straight down and up drill (at a loss for the number at the moment), so one has to build in a spiral drilling process into the cam, (which seems to work great). Are you finding actual drills to be better? Also, are you drilling on a press, or with your spindle on the Shapeoko?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 pm

AIUI, Grbl doesn't support the specific G-code for canned drilling cycles (I believe these ``peck'' in and out) --- one can do this by hand, or use a pre-processor which will replace the unsupported command w/ suitable code. We do have one such listed on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code_Utilities

https://github.com/skipmcdonald/g-code-converters
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Peck drilling takes a lot of time. And circling down takes even longer.

So, I'm going to peck drill some pilot holes, then use my drill-press to drill out the rest.

In fact, I'm not even going to cut the outline of the motor plates on the ShapeOko.
All that matters is that the holes are placed accurately in relation to each other. And THAT my ShapeOko can do pretty easily.
(Going for slightly elongated SO1 plates, adding 50mm of length, moving the X-axis towards the back, heightening it and adding holes for the MegaRail, and skipping holes I don't need)
Weird guy...

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks Will, I am able to do this in CamBam, I was just curious about his logic about using an actual drill vs. milling the holes. Tomorrow I am going to be milling some end plates for a camera slider and there will be a number of holes. So I was just curious about his drilling.

I think I have been hesitant about drilling, even on a press after my experience making my spindle clamps. "Just about" was working prior to using a Shapeoko / CNC and the clams were my eye opener. The first set did not work at all and the second was on the edge of not working. I had the same experience with my dust shoe. These were drilled on a press after milling. I think this is why I am trying to mill my holes wherever I can as I have found so much goodness in that. But this seems to be working for Gadgetman, so I am looking to learn where I can.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:26 am

Drilling with a drill-press is just a question of setup.
I can spend as much as 5 minutes lining it up to drill a hole.
And I watch very carefully when the drill bit touches the material. Any sign of deflection at all and I abort and reposition the material.

I KNOW that currently my ShapeOko isn't stiff enough to make those holes properly...
(I have a piece of scrap aluminium with a hole with 5mm diameter at the top and maybe 3mm at the bottom... )
Weird guy...

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 am

Gadgetman, I'm confused. You say it could take 5 minutes to setup and drill a hole but peck drilling takes too long? How long does peck drilling take for the same thickness of material?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:51 am

I need to peck-drill the pilot holes anyway.
But they don't need to go all the way through.

So, frankly, I don't know how long it would take to peck-drill.

Also, I need two plates.
After I peck some pilot holes in one plate, I can clamp the two together and drill both at the same time.

I wish I had an XY-table for my drill-press. It would reduce the setup time considerably.
Weird guy...