#2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

MeanderBolt

Re: #2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Post by MeanderBolt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:I KNOW that currently my ShapeOko isn't stiff enough to make those holes properly...
(I have a piece of scrap aluminium with a hole with 5mm diameter at the top and maybe 3mm at the bottom... )
How thick was the scrap? Also, what was the grade of the AL?
Tonight I am going to be milling these end plates (mentioned previously). These are going to be the thickest thing I have milled on aluminum yet (1/2 inch). So I am curious to see how that will go.

Is the lack of stiffness you mentioned due to the larger build of your machine, or just the general weaknesses inherent in the Shapeoko design?
(BTW, I am not dogging our machines. There are just certain known weaknesses in the design to keep costs down)(I Love my machine, even with the weaknesses)
At some point I am looking to go larger (probably X) and have been reading about all the gotcha points. I already have the 1000mm Makerslides, belts, wiring extensions, and 2020 cross pieces, it's just a matter of pulling the machine apart and doing it. But I think work is about to take over my life for a while, so I don't want to get mid way and have to stop down.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 pm

The scrap piece is an 8mm 6061 piece.
I was cutting at 120mm/minute, 0.1mm step down, full speed(12K) on the spindle and a 2mm 2flute endmill.

The problem is that the SO really isn't stiff enough.
The motor plates are so thin that they allow the entire X-axis to shift from side to side.
And of course it twists around the X-axis when it moves along the Y-axis.
The bolts holding the V-wheels are probably moving slightly because of the thin motor plates.

Which is why the motor plates wil lbe replaced with 6mm 6082, and the endplates with 8mm 6082.
They X-axis will be replaced with MegaRail, the Z-axis will be completely redesigned with those spiffy rails that Cvoinescu is also working on.

I may add other stiffeners, too.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Got my new Unos today...
(yeah, ordered 3 of them. Just in case of me... again... )

XLoaded with GRBL 0.9i and mounted in the enclosure.
Tested the drivers with the easydriver from reprap.me and found the one on the Y-axis to be borked... again...
(Probably killed by the previous arduino?)
Swapped it out and lo and behold, IT MOVED!

Ran a couple of calibration files to adjust the X and Y steppings slightly.
(Y was OK, X needed a .1step/mm adjustment)

Then I ran out of tea and had to call it an evening...

I should probably check that the drivers are correctly adjusted...but that can wait until tomorrow or something.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun May 10, 2015 7:47 pm

My new motorplates are finally ready...
Some additional stiffeners are also ready.
More long M5 bolts are on order, and so is some very thick spacers.

Tried to cut the 4 endplates today...
First attemt was foiled by a typo in the G-code.
(But it looked great, until the ShapeOko cut a 2mm deep part across it... )

On the second attempt, though... one of my fans failed and the X-axis hit thermal shutdown temps... And another piece was ruined...

I have a spare fan, so that can be fixed... But it's getting awfully cramped inside that box, so just replacing it is going to be a pain.
Going to hit some stores on monday just in case they have something usable.

While browsing eBay for some stuff(needed a few more stepsticks, both for spares and to fix up my old Prusa Mendel since the Discov3ry extruder may show up soon) I spotted a boroscope, 7mm diameter, 5m cable.
I'm thinking that it's just the thing to mount in the dust shoe, if I ever get one made...
(Long enough to be routed through the cable chains)

Pictures when I get the endplates ready... Whenever that happens...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Long time little news...

The endplates have all been cut! But...
since the SO isn't all that stiff, I couldn't cut the 5.5mm holes in them, with the SO, so they need to be drilled out. That shouldn't take too long, really...
(I cut the plates with an 1/8" two-flute, 190mm/minute, 0.1mm step down, 'single-cut', no roughing/finish cut as the lack of rigidity could result in the cut getting narrower and narrower as the bit is forced to the side and into the roughing cut during finishing. )
I have a small angle bracket at the bottom, to mount it to the top of my torsion table. That bracket needs to be fastened to the endplate, obviously.
That is going to happen with 2 x M4 bolts. Which means drilling appropriate holes and tapping them. So far, I've drilled the holes on all 4, but only tapped out the holes on one bracket.
The plan was to do that last night. (How better to spend a saturday evening, than by drinking tea, watching Swat Cats and messing with tools at the same time?)

Unfortunately, I only found a cheap handle that couldn't grip the end of the tap properly, so the equally cheap tap is now stuck in a hole.
The handle that came with my SO kit is unfortunately missing in action.

So... time to hit the HW store again...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:54 pm

With the right tool, tapping a few holes is done in a moment.
endplates.jpg
endplates.jpg (180.44 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Before I do too much damage, here's a overview picture:
before.jpg
before.jpg (196.24 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
I assembled the endplates.
First a 'dry fit, then disassembled them, cleaned them up, added Thread Lock and reassembled them:
endplates_assembled.jpg
endplates_assembled.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Then I tore down the SO and started assembling one Y-rail.
I can see that I should have left one corner of the endplates as a right-angle instead of rounded off.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Here's the picture of the single rail that has been assembled.¨
one_Y_rail.jpg
one_Y_rail.jpg (187.54 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
The rail is only 'dry fit' yet, and hasn't even been fastened to the table.
(I realised I didn't have the right wood screws... *Sigh*)

Then I started assembling one of the motor mounts. The 9mm idlers I got have a center assembly similar to the V-wheels, but these came with a plastic spacer, so I need to be careful about how much pressure is put on the sides of them. I spent a while figuring out how large spacers I need to get the idlers lined up with the belt tie-downs. I have something that should work now, but I'm not real happy about it. More work to be done there, tomorrow.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Today... I found the missing tapping handle...

I rebuilt the other Y-axis, then the motor mounts. I even got the spacers for the idlers sorted.
motor_mount.jpg
motor_mount.jpg (189.02 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Yeah, I went a bit overboard when mounting the V-wheels. Maybe it stiffens up the system, or maybe it just looks cool.

I also temporarily mounted the X-axis.
This is how it looks now:
day_2.jpg
day_2.jpg (184.11 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Near the edge there's a small, blue box...
That's the kit that came with my latest too; the Dremel 8200 cordless multitool...
The tool itself is good, but the toolkit sucks.

Just take a closer look at it:
dremel_kit.jpg
dremel_kit.jpg (255.55 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Yes, all the sharp bits are lmped together in one small compartment, together with the wrench and all kinds of abrasives...
Who does something that evil to poor unsuspecting bits?

Tomorrow; squaring? Or gone fishing again?
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 pm

No pictures today.

Got the Y-axis rails aligned, mounted the midspan supports and all threadlocked.
The Xaxis was also mounted and shimmed to get it as close to 90degrees to the Y-axis as possible.
(used a few pieces of 'shim stock' I got on eBay; 0.1mm and 0.01mm... The things you find on that site... )

The carriage had the spindle mounts removed, then a quick swap of the idlers and the pulley from 6mm to 9mm. Moved the idlers from their customary position and to the NEMA23 mounting holes to make the belt engage more of the pulley. (This is the same position as on the Y-axis, except in this case I'm using the upper mounting holes, not the lower ones)
I also replaced a couple of nuts with nylock nuts, and threadlocked the two bolts at the top of the Z-rail.
Nothing really visible in other words.

I tried to mount the LED-strip under the X-axis, but it seems the adhesive has expired.

Tomorrow, I need to do some shopping again...
A M5 threaded rod, more threadlocker(must stop buying 3gram bottles... ) and either double-sided tape for the LED strip, or a new and higher-quality set.

The Z-axis/spindle still needs to be squared.
I will need to figure out where the X-axis belt needs to be fastened and drill holes in the motorplates.
I also need to finish my spindle mounts. (15mm HDPE. I cut them a good while ago, but I still need to drill the bolt holes.)
New drag chains needs to be mounted. I was thinking of replacing one of the bolts holding the Y-axis steppers with threaded rod, and use that as a mount for one end.
I have a plastic cable duct wide enough to support the second chain, but need to find a better way to mount it between the motor plates than what I have used till now. Seems that's one of the few things that can't be done properly with duct tape.

I have a tentative model for a cyclone dust extractor designed in OpenScad, just need to add mounting brackets and print it.

Maybe I have my SO running again this weekend?
(Fingers crossed... )
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Slow day... Possibly because I found my couch and stayed there a little too long...

Mounted the cable chain between table and Y-motor.
Mounted the LED strip under the X-axis. Works nice. Unfortunately, no picture yet.
Finished drilling holes in the two spindle mounts.
Suddenly found a good use for the bolts that came with the OpenBuild's idlers; they have low-profile heads, so are perfectly suited to fasten the spindle mounts to the Makerslide. I just need to shorten them a bit...
The mounts are supposed to be held together with M6 bolts and nuts, but I don't have long enough bolts. I have an M6 threaded rod, though.

Guess who also doesn't have M6 nuts?
Weird guy...