#2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Gadgetman!

Re: #2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Didn't get much done yesterday...

Today, I finished mounting the chains:
Y-chain.jpg
Y-chain.jpg (199.55 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
(Both ends of the chain leading to the motor mount for the Y-motors)
top_mount_chain.jpg
top_mount_chain.jpg (168.73 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
A bit of fetling and suddenly a the chain fit at the top of the plate...
The other end, though...
x_hanging_in_there.jpg
x_hanging_in_there.jpg (158.97 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
I got creative. A pair of long bolts, some nuts, washers and spacers, and suddenly it hangs just fine.

The wiring was already in the chains, though.
(Got that done yesterday)
So it was but a moments work to reconnect everything and tidy it up a bit.

Got the Y-axis belts tensioned.
(Used a free Guitar tuner app)
I have no clue what is a good tension, but I got them to swing pretty close to both 50Hz and each other, so it can't be too bad...
I lack a single M5 eyebolt to complete the X-axis and tune that, too.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm

I found a small snag...
a_little_snag.jpg
a_little_snag.jpg (156.82 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
The chain going from the table to the Y-axis motor mount... when the plate is at the end, the chain has a tendency to snag on the rear adjustable V-wheel bolt.
I'm thinking of making some sort of deflector plate...

Other than that...

LET THERE BE LIGHT!
let_there_be_light.jpg
let_there_be_light.jpg (183.19 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Tomorrow begins the real drudgery; fine-tuning everything...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Got the X-axis belt mounted and tuned...

Then I hooked up the electronics and my laptop and started calibrating.
I clamped down a piece of 6mm plywood, installed a 2mm endmill and fired it up.
Then I drilled a few holes at X/Y 0/0, 150/0, 0/150 and measured distances. Recalculated the steps/mm and updated $100 and $101.
Now I drilled holes at 0/0, 0/300 and 300/0 and recalculated, and recalculated...
Then I drilled 4 new holes at 0/0, 0/300, 300/0 and 300/300.
I can't fault the X and Y axes, and while the diagonal isn''t perfect, I have problems measuring the difference.
I guess I need to use a larger piece of plywood for that.

I still need to check that the Z-axis is at exacly 90degrees.
Then I can start cutting some patterns to find how it deflects.
And when that is done I need to skim the wasteboard.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:57 pm

I decided to start cutting patterns first.
At first I cut a few squares, just to see what kind of speeds it can do, and the final was 2000mm/minute with a dept of 0.5mm(actually, it cut a bit deeper than that because I was sloppy with adjusting the Z) using a 1/8" two-flute upcut.

Then I ran a zig-zag test.

https://youtu.be/VEMYajG2FZI

Slowest speed is 600mm/minute, the fastest is 1800mm/minute, and no visible deflection or distortion in the cuts.

Then I installed a 4mm downcut endmill and started cutting a circle. With 50% overlap there was no noticeable steps or grooving.
I wrote a little square cut, with 25% overlap (3mm between paths) and ran at 1500mm/minute.
On that I can see grooves when it cuts in +/- X, but not in +/i Y directions. Feeling it for edges, I believe my spindle is tilted very slightly forwards. That shouldn't be too difficult to adjust.

What's more worrying is that twice during all the test cuts, it lost about 10mm while traversing in +Y direction.
I other words, there's a gremlin hiding somewhere in the electronics or wiring, and he's only working part-time...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Found that the X-axis wan't perfectly leveled and adjusted it.(Had to remove one of the motor plates and expand the holes on it slightly to get the wriggleroom I needed)
It's not perfect, yet, but the difference is noticeable.
I may need to shim the spindle mounts also.

As for the wonky Y-axis motion...
I checked the wiring, tightened up all screws and generally went over it with a fine-tooth comb.
Still have the occasional pause. I'm assuming that it's the driver. Luckily, I have a few stepsticks in reserve...

But testing that will have to wait until tomorrow evening.

Now I'm busy with the last Discworld book.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Today I replaced the crappy 1/8" plastic spacer between the bearings in my idlers with proper Aluminium spacers.
And yes, that took quite a while...

There may be a slight twist in my X-axis...
Also, one of my plastic motor mount blocks shows signs of deformation, so I need to replace it with a more solid one.

In other news, I received a pair of 8mm leadscrews with nuts today.
I should probably begin designing the new carriage and Z-axis soon...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Did a bit more adjusting, but now I need to stsrt cutting again in order to get it the rest of the way there...
And I'm all out of thermal adhesives, so I'm having a bit of bother trying to mount a heatsink to a stepstick for my Y-axis.

The plan is to cut some 30 x 250 pockets in some scrap plywood.
The first two will be near the 0,0 coordintes, one going towards they Y+ and the second towards X+.
These will be considered 'level'. From these I should be able to measure the angle of the front of the X-carriage, the Z-axis and even the spindle sitting on it.
The final cut will be a cut towards Y+ along the X+ side of the machine so that I can verify that the angle i correct there, too.
(Checking for twist in the X-axis mostly)

Ordered a couple of ER11 collett nuts because I suspect one of the nuts I already have is slightly out of spec.
(Read: runout over 1mm when I tried using it with a 1/8" endmill. That's just so much of fail... )
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:31 pm

finished adjusting the Z-axis today.
Had to add a couple of 0.1mm shims on the bolts holding the lower V-wheels to get it 'within tolerances'.
(read: Close enough that I have problems seeing it with my eyes. Not perfect, but it'll only last until the next rebuild... )
There's a problem with the Z-axis design on the SO and probably the SO2, too. You have 'fixed position' V-wheels on one side, and eccentric specers on the other side. But if one of the holes for the 'fixed position' V-wheels is slightly off, it'll be very difficult to correct it. The same if the one of the 'fixed position' V-wheels on the top of the X-axis is slightly off kilter, too.

I believe that the SO/SO2 kits should have come with a bag of 0.1mm shims...

I measured the max travel on the X and Y-axis. It's currently
X: 810mm
Y:790mm

I lost a bit on the X-axis because of the vacuum hose mount besides the spindle.
(The mount protrudes a few mm beyond the back plate on the Z-axis)

I did a test pocket(a 50x50mm square), and while it's not easy to see the ridges, I can still feel them.
With less step-over(and possibly lower speed), though, it should be pretty decent.

Tomorrow I intend to flatten the wasteboard.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 pm

The good intentions of men and mice...

I ran a quick file that cut squares into the surface of the wasteboard(full frame 0/0 - 810/790, and at every 200 or so along both X and Y axis), and after cutting down to 1.5mm, there's still an area that haven't been cut into. Which is kind of worrying as I have flattened it before...
Was I blind when I set up my SO the first time, or was it the cheap spiritlevel I used back then? (The one I have now lists an accuracy or whatever of 0.5mm/meter. The old one didn't have any such marking... )
I made certain that the same end of the spiritlevel was at the left side or front of the machine all the while measuring this time, to keep any errors 'repeated' from side to side or front to back this time.

Anyway, while I can flatten the surface without hitting any of the nuts hammered into the bottom of it, the same can't be said for the bolts holding the wasteboard down.
I could remove them one by one and deepen the countersinking, but I'm not going to. There's not that much safety margin left for the nuts, either, so I'm going to make a new wasteboard, probably from slightly thicker Plywood(or whatever takes my fancy at the lumberyard) this time, to make certain I have enough of a margin to flatten it a couple of times.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Still haven't had time to visit the lumberyard for some thick plywood...

But... I was on a 2day coference, and brought a pad with ScorchCAD installed, to keep me awake...

I now have a bit of an idea of how the X and Z axis should be built...
traverse.png
traverse.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
X-axis is supposed to be cvoinescu's Megarail80, and the Z-axis his Z-rails. I kind of simplified the shapes...
I need a few measurements before I can model them any better. The wheels are reasonably accurate.
The spindle mounts needs a bit of adjustment still, and the distance between the Z-axis rails may be increased a bit. so that I can add the NEMA14s and ACME rods in between them.
The Z-rails move up and down, and the front plate of the X-carriage is two-part, so that there's no metal between the Megarail and the spindle mounts.
I'm probably going to use low profile eccentric spacers, to keep the V-wheels as close to the front of the X-carriage as possible.
(need to find 'low profile spanners, then)
Weird guy...