#2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Gadgetman!

Re: #2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Bought a 22mm Plywood sheet on saturday.
Cutting it to approximate size and marking it with the grid was easy enough.
Then I started drilling all the 361 holes...

BOTH of my cordless drills were caput!
My Black&Decker 12V behaved as if the battery has died. The 18V 'noname' drill started sending smoke signals...
So, both was delivered for recycling and a new 12V Li-Ion based cordless took their place.
It managed about 100 holes on a full charge, so I had to leave the last few holes until today.

Today I finished off the last holes, turned the plate over and drilled about 1/2" deep with a 10mm drill-bit in about half the holes.
Then I started screwing in insertion nuts. The type you need to thread onto a bolt before you can screw them in...
After 120 of them my arm have more in common with wet noodles than anything else, and it was time for dinner.

I'm beginning to regret not using the type of nuts you hammer into place, like I did on the first wasteboard...

Now, I'm going to spend the evening cutting up old transparency film into squares.
(I'm going to use them for shims under the wasteboard, so that it's as level as possible before I skim the surface. )
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:12 pm

'Automated' a bit more of the job today...
(Using the wireless drill to thread the nut onto the bolt, screwing it into the plywood, and removing the bolt afterwards, leaving just 'loosening the bolt from the nut' to be done by hand)
I still worked almost until 10pm before I was finished with the nuts, though.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Measujred up the number of shims to place under the wasteboard yesterday.

Today I placed the shims, got the wasteboard placed and bolted down. The height diffierence from highest to lowest point is about 0.5mm. I would have liked it to be less, but it's workable.

Started skimming the surface, using a 4mm endmill and 50% overlap, running at a sedate 1200mm/minute to avoid too much flex in the system.
Had two episodes of missing steps, one on the X axis and the other on the Y axis, losing about 10 mm on the first and 15 on the second.
Tonight I intend to design a better duct for the cooling fan...
(The temporary one I'm using now is just 4 pieces of cardboard taped together)

I have managed to make a cyclone-type dust extractor which uses 1.5L soda bottles for dust collection. It seems to work OK when I reduce the pressure on the hose(a sliding valve on the bend on the hose 'handle'), but lets through a bit too much of the very finest dust if I run it at full pressure.
I need to read up a bit on the theory and study some designs a bit better...

Also, need to make a dust shoe...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Tossed something together in OpenSCAD to make a fan shroud that should fit across the drivers.
fan_shroud.png
fan_shroud.png (14.83 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Just need to print it.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 pm

I realised that I needed to change the rim a bit to match the fan fairing, and measuring the box I'm using, also showed that I needed to shorten it a bit.
The first concept sketch was 56mm high, with 6mm of that actually entering the fan fairing.
The (hopefully) final will be the same total length, but 3mm of that will actually extend down below the PCB, so it will ride 3mm lower in total.
I think...

Maybe NOW I can start printing it...
fan_shroud_2.png
fan_shroud_2.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:09 pm

I guess nobody noticed the flaw in the fan shroud.
Most fans will such the air UP through the shroud... I had to hack a couple of notches in the edge to be able to install the fan the other way on to of it.

Anyway, I've been busy, away on work, sick and busy, but now the wasteboard is pretty level.
And today I started cutting parts for a stand for my 3D printer.

And it went pearshaped...
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg (112.95 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
It stuttered for a moment along the short edge, then continued on its merry way.
It was SUPPOSED to cut 0.5mm at at the bottom of the existing cut, but instead forced its way through 6mm of plywood.
At 1500mm/minute...
The cut even looks straight...
I think that 1500mm/minute may be 'taking it easy'.

Tomorrow I'll check all the electrical conections, then hopefully cut a few more parts.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Today I was cutting smoothly at 1800mm/minute(70ipm), with 0.76mm (0.03") steps using a 1/8" 2-flute.
I may try to go even faster tomorrow.

While the SO did its thing, I used a handsaw to cut two full sheets of 15mm Plywood into 2'x2'8" pieces as that's the largest pieces that fits on the available build area.
I'm beginning to want a larger build area...
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:18 am

Had to tidy up my garage to fit my car this weekend...

That torsion table is HEAVY!
(Next version will be made out of 9mm plywood... )

I had planned to hoist the thing up under the roof to get it out of the way, but when one of the hooks guiding the ropes started bending, that got cancelled pretty quickly. For now, I hav eshoved it as far into a corner as it's possible to get it.
So now I can get the car inside...
I may need to remove the trailer hitch, though, to get a few inches clearance to the port. Or lift the SO 8" so that the front of my car can get under it....

So. if I can't hoist it out of the way, I'll need another plan for quick stowaway in the future.
I'm thinking a frame on castors, with A-frames up to pivots in the side of the torsion table.
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:32 am

Nothing much has happened to the beast since the last post. Mostly because it has been stowed away in the innermost recesses of my garage to make room for my car. But the snow is melting and I can soon start parking it outside again... I hope...

So, I just ordered a 1000mm chunk of Cvoinescu's new MegaRail 80, which'll become my new X-axis, a 600mm MegaRail Z which'll probably end up being cut in half to become the Z-axis and a pair of 1500mm Makerslides...

The Makerslides is for a 'hoped for' Y-axis upgrade so that I will be able to use full 2x4' workpieces. This will of course require a new torsion box, so it's a bit 'in the air' when it happens... I just figured that if I was going to ship something as big and heavy as the MegaRail 80, and incur T(r)OLL's V(r)AT(h), I might just as well do it properly...
Didn't bother to order new belts, though.

I may want to consider new steppers because of the weight of the MegaRail 80.
Weird guy...

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:28 pm

At least the difference in VAT rates isn't tremendous, but if they hit you with duty and a customs brokerage charge, that adds up...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk