#2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Gadgetman!

Re: #2014F - the Birth, life and fall of a machine...

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I was using an oil of sorts. It wasn't all that hard to cut, but suddenly...

I'm guessing that it got damaged back when I tapped the 3750 Makerslides I originally got in the kit, because then I didn't use any oil or cutting fluid.

Bought two taps, to be certain. They're chap ones(From Biltema, if anyone in Scandinavia wonders. Think dollar-store quality), costing slightly under $4 each.
Also picked up a spray can with 'Cutting Oil'.

So far I've tapped the holes on one Makerslide with no problems. Can't say that it's cutting any easier with the Cutting Oil than it was with the other stuff I was using. But the spray can is nice.

I'll check the wiki later. Since I have 4 slides, and only need 2 for now, there's no hurry.
(Still only have Mk I type closed endplates, so I can't mount a longer X-axis anyway)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Quick update...

I have 2 x 1000mm Makerslides tapped and mounted to the old Mk. I endplates.
(The one with the broken bit stuck in it still has the broken bit stuck in it... )
Only one of the endplates is fastened to the chipboard, though, as this material isn't exactly known for keeping its shape when not fastened to a proper frame.
The X-axis is assembled and everything seems to move smoothly for now. Still need to tighten it up and making certain everything is level, squared or whatever.

just got a mail telling me that the XML belts are on its way.

Also, I picked up a cheap drill-press at a local HW store today.

I need to get hold of a bunch of T-nuts for not only stiffening up the Y-axis rails, but also for tying together the Dual rails on the X-axis later(When I go from 375 to 1000mm. I expect the drill press will come in handy, then. This will have to wait until I get hold of open endplates and build a proper table for it)

I may order a few 25.4mm aluminium spacers, too.

But now... I take off to visit relative for Xmas...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:30 pm

My ShpeOko is now 1000x375, it's somewhat leveled, one of the cable chains is in place(along the Y-axis) the terminal blocks are stuck on the motor mount plates, and the wires for the Y-axis is pulled through.
The Y-motors haven't been connected to the terminal blocks, yet, and only the X and one of the Y-axis have the belt in place yet.

I'm out of 18awg wire for the machine, and are looking for more.
Incidentally, Mouser has 18awg ribbon cable, which would be perfect for the ShapeOko, but with price of $100 for a 100' roll, I can't justify the cost.

I may try hooking up the motors and firing it up tomorrow...
(I have enough cable for 'direct' connections, but not to do it properly through the cable chains)
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Hm...

There's also something called 'Drag chain cable' available. This is 'normal' multi-core cable with extra flexible insulation that is specially designed for use in these kinds of chains.
These cables are typically tested to 10million bends...

Can't find them on Mouser, though.
Weird guy...

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm

They have it at Mouser, at least in the states they do. Look for "automation and process control" or "industrial automation" under wire. It's not cheap though, probably at least double the cost of the flat ribbon cable and only in spools. You might find another place to pick up some by the foot/meter. I got some from McMaster a while back for just under a dollar a foot, it wasn't the super-flex but "periodic-flex" it's a little stiff for a drag chain.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah, found it a few minutes after posting here...
(Just too lazy to update)

That stuff might be something that Inventables should look into stocking.

Found someone on The Bay of E who's selling 18awg ribbon cable in 5' increments and ordered a 15' piece.
(It's 9 conductors, so I can easily split it to more suitable widths)
Weird guy...

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Got a 15' roll of ribbon cable in the mail.

Unfortunately, when I tested the ribbon cable, it was wider than the drag chain I had between the X motormount and over to one of the Y-mounts. A wider chain has been ordered.
The chain going from the Y-mount is plenty large enough.

Also got a sortiment box of ferrules and a crimping tool for them.
(Not the kit from Inventables, though. Bay of E... )
That stuff is NICE!
I'll use it on all wires that goes to a screw terminal in the future.

My crimping tool produces a square result, while the Inventables tool seems to make a hexagonal result.

In other news, the Smoothieboard is supposedly on its way from China to the main assembly facilities in the USA right now, so...
Weird guy...

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Waiting for my Smoothieboard too.

Which set of ferrules did you get off eBay?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1374096226
(Kit of 600)

It's ended now, but he still has some single colour 1000 or 500 bags.

Thinking of adding this kind of stuff to the shop?
Weird guy...

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Thank you.

They're not for the store -- I already have a bunch of items that I haven't had a chance to photograph and list in the store yet: e-stops, some very nice shielded stepper cable, push-buttons and switches, connectors...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk