Gadroc's Build

Gadroc

Gadroc's Build

Post by Gadroc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm

I've finally took the plunge and ordered a shapeoko 2 kit along with enough materials to expand it out to just under a 2x4 foot cutting area.

Dimensions:
  • 55" Wide X Rail with a 55.5" base for the mounting brackets.
  • 30" - 32" Deep Y Rail (Need to do some final math once I can get all the parts in hand)
Electronics:
  • Mach3 with UC-100
  • G540
  • 24v Power Supply
Motors:
  • X/Y Nema 23 156oz/in 3A
  • Z Nema 17 72oz/in 1.5A
Spindle:
  • DW660 w/ SuperPID
The goal on the work area is to be able to use off the shelf 2x4 foot MDF sheets for the spoil board and use a 1" bit to level it. Due to the way my garage is laid out it's much easier to fit the machine with easy access through a wide open front instead of sides. I'm hoping with the dual X rail on the 2 it' won't be a problem.

I will primarily be cutting plywood, HPDE and acrylic. I do want to do the occasional aluminum, but that will just be profile cuts through 1/16" sheet.

Plan is to wire up all limit X +/-/home, Y1 +/-/home and Z -/home all to one input into Mach3, then wire Y2 +/-/home to a second input. I'll then have two inputs left. One for the tach input from the super pid and the second will be used for a probe for auto Z zero. I'm going to wire the SuperPid to be controlled via Mach3 as well. I have a touch screen which I'll be setting up with a custom screen so I can control it all just from the touch screen.

While Mach3, SuperPID and G540 might be overkill for this machine. I wanted to be transfer some of the cost over if/when I want to step up to a more rigid machine. I also had the computer and touch screen lying around so I might as well use them. Mach3 + G540 while double the cost of a Arduino + DRV8825 carriers I feel I'll get a much more control.

Gadroc

Re: Gadroc's Build

Post by Gadroc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Ok.. The machine is up and running!

Here is the original base of the machine. I have moved the supports around as well. They form a 24x48 border with two inside supports for the spoil board now. I forgot to take a picture before attaching the spoil board after I rearranged it. The spoil board is attached with three bolts on each long side and two on the short sides to capture nuts in the extrusion.

Here is the completed setup. Everything is wired in and working, I just need to create stops for the limit switches on the X gantry as both the dust shoe and bolts for the Nema 23 Y motors prevents the switch from contacting the motor plates. The black box with e-stop switch houses the G540 and 24v power supply. I will be making a slide out mount for the 10" touch screen and keyboard so they are more easily accessable. I have a contour shuttle express which will also be used for jogging. The UC-100 is mounted to the back of this box. You can see the post big project mess on my work bench in the background. Need to clean that up!

Here you can see the superpid case along with the electronics wiring. I still need to do some cable management here. Unfortunately the superpid sensor cable is not long enough to make it through the last drag chain, I'll need to extend it (only need around another 6-8" of cable). I also intend on making a better case for the superpid now that the machine is operations... the cut outs are bad right now.

Here are some shots of the wiring. I home ran all limit switches to the superpid electronics box and put them in series inside the box. This allows me to switch up their operations if I move to an IO solution with more inputs. I did run wires for a probe and z home switch but do not have any hooked up yet. I did directly solder everything instead of running connectors just to make things a little cleaner. I also put all exposed wires inside expandable tubing and sealed the ends with shrink-wrap.

I also printed brackets to mount the drag chains. The X axis is long enough that the chain needs support. I printed brackets to hold a 3/8" aluminum c-channel to support the drag chain. This works out pretty well and was cheap and I had a 8ft section of the c-channel sitting in the garage.

I'm pretty happy so far. Cut area is 25" x 47" when not use the dust shoe, but the dust shoe cuts it down to 46". I still need to figure out how to manage dust collection hose to run to my shopvac. Anyone have any suggestions or examples on that?

I need to validate accuracy today and I'll get some video of cutting as well.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Gadroc's Build

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Usual approach is a rod suspended over the machine along its longest axis and the vacuum hose clipped to a ring.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets