Lee's Shapeoko 2

iquizzle

Lee's Shapeoko 2

Post by iquizzle » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy a cnc router for about 2 years now, and I finally found the one that I wanted! As a beneficiary of all the tweaks and mods that are included in the 2nd version, I want to thank everyone who contributed to improving version 1 via community support.

I purchased the mechanical kit since I wanted to customize my shapeoko. I received the kit last week and am starting to make some custom parts for the build. Here are some of the things I'm doing different from the "stock" configuration:

1. 1000mm makerslide on the y-axis
2. Nema 23 / 0.9 degree steppers from Anaheim Automation for x and y travel
3. ACME leadscrew for z-axis
4. IKO LWFF33 linear rail for z-axis
5. Custom opto-isolated parallel port -> pololu driver breakout for LinuxCNC
6. 600W Chinese spindle and KBIC-120 DC Motor Controller
7. 24V Power

I'll provide updates as I build. I realize that the linear slide on the z-axis is probably overkill, but since I had it sitting around from a CNC project I started but never finished, I figured why not use it! Anyway, since my entire z-axis is completely custom it might take me a little longer to get everything together. More pictures coming soon!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Lee's Shapeoko 2

Post by WillAdams » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Very, very cool!

I'm especially interested in the spindle --- I haven't seen anyone mention that particular unit yet, but it looks like a good fit (not as incredibly over-powered as the 1.5KW spindle, air-cooled unlike most of the 800W spindles I've seen) --- it's exactly the same power as a Dewalt DW-660, but I suspect it'll last longer and have less run-out.

Here's a bit of inspiration for everyone:

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

iquizzle

Post by iquizzle » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Very clean drawing. I'm really excited to get mine running.

I think the 600W spindle is relatively new. I got mine for $150 from BST Automation on aliexpress. I chose it because it seems to be about the right size for this machine and also it operates up to 110V DC.. so that means you can buy an inexpensive tried-and-true 90V DC controller and still run it at 10K RPM.

iquizzle

Post by iquizzle » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 am

I spent the better part of this weekend working on my z-axis. I designed and machined most of the parts i need to mount the linear slide, motor and spindle. I still have to machine something to mount the acme nut. Here are some pictures:

Next up, assembling the rest of the machine!

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:34 am

Love that Z and Spindle, can't wait to see what it is able to do.... I am contemplating a spindle myself... have search the threads and see what is working, I have been away for while.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

Claudio

Post by Claudio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the 600W spindle.

I'm trying to decide what spindle to buy and this one seems to be a good compromise between 300W (not enough power?) and the 1.5kW spindle (havy, need an inverter).

iquizzle

Post by iquizzle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:55 am

After approx 1 trillion trips to the hardware store, more progress has been made! I have the mechanics roughly assembled.

I can't find all of the mounting screws for my spindle... Someone thought they were fun to play with and lost them. I think I found the culprit.

Look at that smug look on his face.

My electronics have been assembled as well. Not fully tested yet, but all of the LEDs light up.

Also, while searching around my hackerspace, I think I found a linuxcnc host candidate. These old dell's all have parallel ports on the back. Next step is to load up linuxcnc and see if the latency is any good... Now if I could just remember how to burn a CD. :?

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:19 am

iquizzle wrote: My electronics have been assembled as well. Not fully tested yet, but all of the LEDs light up.

I love That board, It looks great.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

Gadroc

Post by Gadroc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Looks good. Wish I'd seen that spindle before I got the DW660/Superpid combo. We'll see how long the DW660 lasts. It doesn't sound real good below 12000 rpms.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

iquizzle wrote:Also, while searching around my hackerspace, I think I found a linuxcnc host candidate. These old dell's all have parallel ports on the back. Next step is to load up linuxcnc and see if the latency is any good... Now if I could just remember how to burn a CD.
I haven't tried LinuxCNC on the Dell Inspiron 600m, but I had used one for eight years and I was sorry to have to let it go (especially sorry for its 1400 x 1050 screen). Unfortunately, about two years ago, one piece of software I needed for work wanted a more recent CPU, so I had to upgrade. I still use the 600m to run Pronterface and other odd jobs, though.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk