Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

LTMNO
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 am

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by LTMNO » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:01 pm

CalebPeters wrote:Alright, so here's a rough diagram of my wiring setup. Below is a fairly high resolution image of the diagram, and also a link to the Visio file of the diagram itself.

Credit for the images of the C10 breakout board and DRV 8825 boards should go to CNC4PC.com and pololu.com

http://bobdylansays.com/wp-content/uplo ... ematic.zip

Image
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Did you add the 100u caps yourself? To filter noise?
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm

LTMNO wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Did you add the 100u caps yourself? To filter noise?
I didn't come up with using the decoupling capacitors myself. pololu.com, the manufacturers of this particular stepper driver, recommends it. Here's an excerpt from their website talking about it specifically.
http://www.pololu.com/product/2133/ wrote: Power connections

The driver requires a motor supply voltage of 8.2 – 45 V to be connected across VMOT and GND. This supply should have appropriate decoupling capacitors close to the board, and it should be capable of delivering the expected stepper motor current.

Warning: This carrier board uses low-ESR ceramic capacitors, which makes it susceptible to destructive LC voltage spikes, especially when using power leads longer than a few inches. Under the right conditions, these spikes can exceed the 45 V maximum voltage rating for the DRV8825 and permanently damage the board, even when the motor supply voltage is as low as 12 V. One way to protect the driver from such spikes is to put a large (at least 47 µF) electrolytic capacitor across motor power (VMOT) and ground somewhere close to the board.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

LTMNO
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 am

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by LTMNO » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 pm

CalebPeters wrote:
LTMNO wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Did you add the 100u caps yourself? To filter noise?
I didn't come up with using the decoupling capacitors myself. pololu.com, the manufacturers of this particular stepper driver, recommends it. Here's an excerpt from their website talking about it specifically.
http://www.pololu.com/product/2133/ wrote: Power connections

The driver requires a motor supply voltage of 8.2 – 45 V to be connected across VMOT and GND. This supply should have appropriate decoupling capacitors close to the board, and it should be capable of delivering the expected stepper motor current.

Warning: This carrier board uses low-ESR ceramic capacitors, which makes it susceptible to destructive LC voltage spikes, especially when using power leads longer than a few inches. Under the right conditions, these spikes can exceed the 45 V maximum voltage rating for the DRV8825 and permanently damage the board, even when the motor supply voltage is as low as 12 V. One way to protect the driver from such spikes is to put a large (at least 47 µF) electrolytic capacitor across motor power (VMOT) and ground somewhere close to the board.
Thanks, that is great to know.. i have my 4 drivers for my Beaglebone Cape.. and haven't set it up yet with Linux and LinuxCNC... I have to solder that all together still with the Bridge. I will be sure to add the Caps.

Cheers.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Here is a couple more videos of my ShapeOko in action.



Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

janapriya
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by janapriya » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 am

Nice work!. What are the bits you started with?

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

janapriya wrote:Nice work!. What are the bits you started with?
Since I pre-ordered my Shapeoko 2 I received a end mill starter set for free.

Here's a link to the set: https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... 8-in-shank

So far, I've only used the two flute straight flute one, but that has more to do with the type of materials that I have been cutting than anything else.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

LTMNO
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 am

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by LTMNO » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 am

Hello Caleb,
Ironically, I have been searching the web for LinuxCNC and ShapeOko and all roads lead back to you..
I am going to read your blog from top to bottom and see if I can get this configuration figured out for my BeBoPr Cape for BeagleBone...
Keep up the great work!

Talk to you soon.

Pino
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Well, I finally have something interesting again to post on my build log. After reading skipmcdonald's build log and seeing how cool the aluminum T-slot bed he purchase looked, I decided I needed one too. My original plan was to only use it for milling on aluminum parts, and that's basically why I chose to only get one of them, but I'm kind of regretting that now. I'm thinking that if I use 1/4 inch MDF as a waste board underneath any job that I need to cut through I should be able to get away with not mucking up the aluminum bed.

At any rate, here's a video showing off how it turned out.


The cam clamps that are in the video can be found here.
My thoughts on these clamps are that they work very well, as long as, you make sure they are well tightened.

As far as modifying the belt clips, it was very easy to use a grinding wheel to do the job, but as you can see in the video I didn't do the best job. With a little bit of thought I probably could have came up with a better solution for cutting them down to size. At any rate, they seem to work quite nicely, even if they don't look so nice.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

janapriya
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by janapriya » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:14 am

Caleb,

From where did you source hall effect sensors/magnets?

Thanks,

J.

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 pm

janapriya wrote:Caleb,

From where did you source hall effect sensors/magnets?

Thanks,

J.
My hall effect sensors came off of a THK actuator that I have, and the magnets I bought off Amazon.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

Post Reply