Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

ZuluTiming
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by ZuluTiming » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Great project.
I have few questions if you wouldn't mind.
On the schematic diagram from the first post (the visio file) there are no switches drawn for microstepping. Would anybody know where can I find a schematic for the DIP switching? Could not see it on Pololu site.
On the same visio file the Enable pin on Pololu drives are nor connected to anything. Should they be connected to, well, enable pin on BOB?

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:36 am

ZuluTiming wrote:Great project.
I have few questions if you wouldn't mind.
On the schematic diagram from the first post (the visio file) there are no switches drawn for microstepping. Would anybody know where can I find a schematic for the DIP switching? Could not see it on Pololu site.
Sorry it took me so long to get this done, but I believe this image should help you out.

Image
ZuluTiming wrote: On the same visio file the Enable pin on Pololu drives are nor connected to anything. Should they be connected to, well, enable pin on BOB?
Pololu specifically designed the circuit so that the default state of the enable pin is on, so the Pin can be left disconnected.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:50 am

It still makes sense to connect ENABLE to the controller, so that it can turn the motors off when programmed to do so.

Also, make sure the two grounds (logic and motor) are connected at some point.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

tarasko
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by tarasko » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:42 am

CalebPeters wrote:So, I'm currently in the process of setting up my limit/home switches. Here's a video demonstrating what I've got so far.



Things I need to do before I can consider the limit/home switches done.
  • Figure out a permanent method of attaching the magnets to the machine. (Scotch tape isn't going to last forever.)
    Figure out some sort of connector scheme for the switches. ( I'm thinking RJ-45)
Hi Caleb. Thank you for this thread. I'm very impressed with your work. I inspired to build the cnc router using your way.

1. Could you please point where did you buy those limit switches?
2. I don't want to use a dual shaft steppers (because of it's size) I want more compact single shaft drives with an ability for series connection in bi-polar mode.
Could you please look at these steppers http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... -pk266-02a. Do they fit into your electric scheme?
3. I want to disscuss the question about spindle solution. To achieve speed controlled spindle you choosed DW660 + SuperPID. I want to use more cheapest variant http://www.ebay.com/itm/111409949988?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
What is your opinion on my choice?

Thanks.

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:20 pm

tarasko wrote:
Hi Caleb. Thank you for this thread. I'm very impressed with your work. I inspired to build the cnc router using your way.

1. Could you please point where did you buy those limit switches?
2. I don't want to use a dual shaft steppers (because of it's size) I want more compact single shaft drives with an ability for series connection in bi-polar mode.
Could you please look at these steppers http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... -pk266-02a. Do they fit into your electric scheme?
3. I want to disscuss the question about spindle solution. To achieve speed controlled spindle you choosed DW660 + SuperPID. I want to use more cheapest variant http://www.ebay.com/itm/111409949988?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
What is your opinion on my choice?

Thanks.
1. Sure, but it's not going to help you. I bought a THK actuator from eBay right before my ShapeOko kit arrived. My intention was to use this actuator as a better z-axis, but it ended up being way too heavy. The actuator had these three limit switches mounted on it, and since I couldn't use the actuator I decided I was going to use the limit switches for the three axes of the machine. I've tried figuring out what they were a couple of times, but there's really no discernible markings on them.

2. Just glancing at the spec sheet it looks like they would work just fine.

3. I really like my DW-660, but I also don't think it's the best solution out there. I suppose the best way to phrase it is that it works for me. I think that a 400W spindle is a valid choice. I imagine it will be reasonably quiet, won't way too much, and looks reasonably priced. I don't know if you live in the states or not, but inventables.com sells a similar spindle. Some plus sides of buying from them is that I can guarantee you if it comes DOA they'll replace it, and it fits into that one piece z-axis carriage there making for the X-carve.

Well I don't know if that helps you at all, but hopefully it gives you some food for thought.

Caleb
Last edited by CalebPeters on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

ZuluTiming
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by ZuluTiming » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 am

CalebPeters wrote:

Sorry it took me so long to get this done, but I believe this image should help you out.

SNIP
ZuluTiming wrote: On the same visio file the Enable pin on Pololu drives are nor connected to anything. Should they be connected to, well, enable pin on BOB?
Pololu specifically designed the circuit so that the default state of the enable pin is on, so the Pin can be left disconnected.
Thank you for taking the time to draw and post the diagram.

I found another circuit diagram where the RAMPS 1.4 was described connecting to a Mega Shield. Also the ENABLE pin was used and connected to the shield. Here it is if anyone is interested: http://rigidtalk.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... _1.4_board

MeanderBolt
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Hey man, Awesome work on the Z zxis and the 660 mounts. Back on this post several pages back, you bought some new work holding clamps. I was wondering if you were still using them and if you still liked them. They seem to be met with mixed thoughts. I am about to purchase several work holding... things, and these seemed like a good idea. I have been doing a ton of aluminum work with the my slider project, and these might help a lot.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

CalebPeters
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:53 pm

MeanderBolt wrote:Hey man, Awesome work on the Z zxis and the 660 mounts. Back on this post several pages back, you bought some new work holding clamps. I was wondering if you were still using them and if you still liked them. They seem to be met with mixed thoughts. I am about to purchase several work holding... things, and these seemed like a good idea. I have been doing a ton of aluminum work with the my slider project, and these might help a lot.
Well thanks! Now as far as those clamps go I don't know. I still kind of have a little bit of a mixed feeling myself on the matter. They do work good in certain situations, but most of the time I think you could use a different style clamp and get the same results.

I think they are really good at holding down thicker pieces of wood like 3/4 inch or so. The whole idea of using them to work with die cast aluminum boxes like I originally thought was a horrible idea. It does work, but it would work better if it had some sort of rubber on the clamping part.

So yeah, I think they work just fine, but from my experience those clamps work best when you can get them dug into the material a bit. If you're trying to clamp a Finnish side with them it gets a little bit tricky. If they're not clamping the material hard enough they like to vibrate loose.

Hope that helps,
Caleb
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

MeanderBolt
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:48 pm

It does. I will hold off and use the $60 somewhere else. Thanks.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Post Reply