Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

marcus4e

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by marcus4e » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Caleb,

I placed my orders today for all the goodies to build the Shapeoko 2. I elected to go ahead with the shield upgrade you described rather than start with the grblShield. The only difference is that I chose the A4398 black edition drivers with heat sinks.

I pretty much followed all the other recommendations made by you and others for the NEMA 23 motors and mechanics. The one change that I did differently than your recommendation was to purchase a different 24v/15a power supply. After reading the Amazon reviews of your recommendation, I was concerned with the reliability of the power supply (loose parts, smoke, non-operational, fan noise, etc.). I bought a more expensive 24v/15a supply made by Mean Well ($45) who has a good quality reputation. I do not know if it is overkill or not and I must admit the $26 Amazon price was attractive. The power supply is described here: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... llDownView.

So now, I just got to wait probably a week or so to get all the parts to start building. In the meantime, I will learn about how to create a Linux based machine out of my older Mac PowerBook and how to get LinuxCNC operational.

Thanks again for your help. :D

Mark

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 am

marcus4e wrote:Caleb,

I placed my orders today for all the goodies to build the Shapeoko 2. I elected to go ahead with the shield upgrade you described rather than start with the grblShield. The only difference is that I chose the A4398 black edition drivers with heat sinks.

I pretty much followed all the other recommendations made by you and others for the NEMA 23 motors and mechanics. The one change that I did differently than your recommendation was to purchase a different 24v/15a power supply. After reading the Amazon reviews of your recommendation, I was concerned with the reliability of the power supply (loose parts, smoke, non-operational, fan noise, etc.). I bought a more expensive 24v/15a supply made by Mean Well ($45) who has a good quality reputation. I do not know if it is overkill or not and I must admit the $26 Amazon price was attractive. The power supply is described here: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... llDownView.

So now, I just got to wait probably a week or so to get all the parts to start building. In the meantime, I will learn about how to create a Linux based machine out of my older Mac PowerBook and how to get LinuxCNC operational.

Thanks again for your help. :D

Mark
That sounds awesome!
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

JuKu

Post by JuKu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:56 am

Re: Meanwell: Good choice; in another life, I've used several thousand Meanwell supplies, with only two field failures: One because inadequate ventilation, one because of lightning (as far as we could tell). No dead on arrival units. 15A might be overkill, Meanwell quality is not.

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:48 am

Caleb,

I have been researching LinuxCNC and Linux configurations for mac and pc.

I have several questions that you may be able to help me with:

1. I am now coming to the realization that I probably need a parallel port to operate with LinuxCNC or Mach 3. So what is the setup you use to drive an usb Arduino? I notice you list at the beginning of your post a parallel port breaker board. I need to know what additional systems i will need to interface the PC or Mac with the upgraded shield and Arduino and how it is hooked up. Is an additional/different power supply needed from the 24volt/5a one I have on order?

2. I take it that you download LinuxCNC compiled with either Linux 8.04 or Linux 10.04 as a "Live CD"? Apparently, you can run the Live CD on its own without loading it up? And you can also load the Live CD into your PC or Mac partition? Is this true? I am still researching to understand whether I can run Linux in Mac Bootcamp on my old Snow Leopard Intel Mac or wether I should buy an old Windows 7 PC to do it. If I go the PC route, I will probably eventually pursue Mach 3.

3. Separately, can you run LinuxCNC on a 64 or 32 bit PC or Mac? If I end up buying a windows 7 PC (refurbed HP at MicroCenter in Cincinnati), I will need to make sure I get the right one. I know Mach 3 requires 32 bit though some claim they are running on 64 bit.

That is the extent of my research to date. Any pointers you have would be appreciated.

Mark

chambrot

Post by chambrot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:11 am

Hey Mark,

First of all good luck on your build. I just finished my custom ShapeOko about a month ago and its still a learning process.

I am currently running a TinyG instead of the Arduino / GRBL Shield and I am feeling that its ok, but not great...like you I am also thinking of going the LinuxCNC or Mach 3 route.

One thing that I noticed in what you said...I don't think you will be able to run LinuxCNC or Mach3 on a Mac. Maybe if you run windows on the Mac with Parallels or Bootcamp, but I still don't see how you would go about the parallel port issue.

I got an old PC that was going to be trashed from my wifes company and its what I plan on using. First with LinuxCNC since its free, then Mach 3 later if I find I need it.

Hope all goes well with your build.

Joe
Custom ShapeOko using original design, 1000mm MakerSlide X Axis, Double 1000mm MakerSlide Y Axis, Nema 23 on all, upgraded Z Axis, Dremel 300, controlled by TinyG

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 am

Joe / Caleb,

You have confirmed what I have already begun to sort out concerning the Mac. I know I can get Ubuntu Linux running, but reading about LinuxCNC and Mach 3 confirms there is probably a parallel port issue. I am a Mac user enthusiast, but it appears anything involving electronics / equipment, the PC route is the norm. Apple needs to fix this if they ever intend to make headway in business / technical usages. Plus, I am finding CAD options for the Mac, but the CAM options are limited and controller software non-existent. Oh well.....

Question for you... There appears to be a 32 bit and 64 bit issue for LinuxCNC and Mach 3. What type of old PC should I buy. I am assuming as long as the operating system (windows XP or 7) is 32 bit and it has a parallel port, I should be fine. Is this correct? Or does the processor have to be 32 bit also?

I have found several refurb PC options at a local store - MicroCenter. Here are 2 examples:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4117 ... efurbished

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4116 ... efurbished

Mark

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:16 pm

marcus4e wrote: Question for you... There appears to be a 32 bit and 64 bit issue for LinuxCNC and Mach 3. What type of old PC should I buy. I am assuming as long as the operating system (windows XP or 7) is 32 bit and it has a parallel port, I should be fine. Is this correct? Or does the processor have to be 32 bit also?
I would imagine that a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor would be more than adequate for LinuxCNC. The big trick with the parallel port is whether it's a 5V output or a 3.3V output. Fortunately, if you get a parallel port breakout board like the "C10 board " that I got from http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... ucts_id=45 you shouldn't have any trouble with either because the board doesn't rely on the power coming out of the parallel port to send signals to the driver boards.

Also, with only a few exceptions, PC processors that are 64-bit also process 32-bit, so don't worry about that at all.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Caleb,

Is there any thread or website that shows how to hookup all the pieces - C10 board, Reactive Substance stepper board, motors, and Arduino? If not, then when u have a chance could you take a few pictures of your setup showing the key connections?

I assume you connect the PC thru the parallel port to the C10 board. The C10 board must then connect to the stepper board some how. The stepper motors are each connected to the drivers on the stepper board. The Y axis driver must drive both Y stepper motors. I assume the 24v power supply connects to the stepper board. And the C10 board needs a 5v/??amp power supply or is that provided by the PC parallel port?

What I do not fully understand is:

1. Where does the USB connect from the Arduino?

2. Does the 24v / 15a power supply have too much amperage for direct connection to the stepper board or does the board modulate the current level it needs to supply the drivers and motors?

Sorry for so many noob questions, but it is some times hard to sort this out from all the individual threads I have read to date.

Mark

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

The 15 A is a capability, or maximum rating of the power supply; the electronics will draw as much as they need, and the supply will be happy to provide that current (as long as it's no more than 15 A). So, not a problem at all.

You do not use the Arduino at all. You connect the breakout board directly to the stepper board. It's pretty much a one-to-one mapping that should not pose any problems.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm

So the PC is connected to the Parallel breakout board which is connected to the Stepper Shield with drivers connected to the motors. And the Stepper Shield is connected to the Arduino. Based on your comment the USB port on the Arduino will not be used. Correct?

What do you use as a 5v supply for breakout board. The power from the PC socket or a separate power supply. If separate, what do you recommend?