Code: Select all

logic supply         motor supply
                             |                   |
                             v                   v
PC parallel port ----> breakout board ----> stepper board ----> motors
                                               |    ^
                                               v    |
                                            motor drivers
You can tap 5 V from the PC, say from USB or a keyboard or mouse input; or you can use a separate supply -- I have a boxful of 5 V wall warts. Or, for a cleaner build, you can use a DC-DC converter to get 5 V from the higher voltage of the motor power supply. They cost a few bucks on eBay (from China). I used to have them in my shop, but I ran out (I have a different model on its way, looks a bit like this one). I'm sure Sparkfun and Adafruit also have something similar, if you can't wait for the post to arrive from China. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CalebPeters

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by CalebPeters » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

marcus4e wrote:So the PC is connected to the Parallel breakout board which is connected to the Stepper Shield with drivers connected to the motors. And the Stepper Shield is connected to the Arduino. Based on your comment the USB port on the Arduino will not be used. Correct?

What do you use as a 5v supply for breakout board. The power from the PC socket or a separate power supply. If separate, what do you recommend?
Mark,

I just made a video talking about my electronics set up. Also, Cvoinescu's diagram and suggestions on power supplies are very good.

Just some final notes to consider.
1. My setup is very basic and simple right now, and I can imagine that as I learn more about how to do things better, I will be changing it.
2. There are a lot of different ways to configure both the software and the wiring, so my suggestion is to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I want to help in any way that I can, but at the end of the day I can only show you what has worked for me so far.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Excellent,

Thank you very much. I wish more would document their systems like this so newbies can get a better idea of the options and what is required. I am continuing to read all the threads I can come across to make my system.

Based on a conversation with cvoinescu, I did not realize that I could run the Reactive Substance stepper board by itself with the parallel board. The thing that was confusing me, is that the Arduino is not needed with the parallel port board.

So I guess I can run the Reactive Substance Stepper board with the Arduino in GRBL or add the parallel board without the Arduino to drive the stepper board.

I guess I will start with the GRBL system and then upgrade to the LinuxCNC and parallel port later. I will share my build as I get going and plan to document everything. I guess that the electronics can be blown if not careful, but they are reasonably hardy for experimentation and I should just do it!

Parts are starting to dribble in and I hope to have the Mechanical Kit by Jan 19.

Thanks so much for your help. That's what makes this an excellent forum!

Mark

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:23 pm

You don't even need a breakout board. You can wire the shield to a DB25 connector as follows:

Code: Select all

Parallel     buildlog.net
  Port      or GAUPS shield
   2              D2
   3              D5
   4              D3
   5              D6
   6              D4
   7              D7
  17              D8
 18-25           GND
Pins 18-25 of the parallel port are connected together, and to one of the GND pins on the shield. Also wire a 5 V supply between +5V and GND on the shield. The shield does not have labelled pins, so use an Arduino Uno image as a map.

Using a breakout board with active components (buffers) adds a small level of protection to the parallel port, in case of disaster (short between motor supply and driver input pin, for instance), and also makes wiring easier (presumably, the breakout board has screw terminals or headers), but it doesn't add any functionality.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:55 am

Well, not very exciting, but my Shapeoko is back up and running after dismantling the electronics in order to place them in an enclosure.

Below is a short video showing off how it turned out.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Here's a couple of videos showing off my very first use of my Shapeoko 2. It was only a veneer, but I'm still really excited with the results.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 am

Hello, great job on the build and videos.. really enjoyed watching them. Thanks for posting!
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 am

LTMNO wrote:Hello, great job on the build and videos.. really enjoyed watching them. Thanks for posting!
Thanks, It means a lot to know that people are enjoying watching them.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:06 am

Well, here's yet another video.

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Truly a great build and writeup! Just built my Shapeoko 2 a week ago and didn't know anything about LinuxCNC or these parallel port drivers and all the upgraded capabilities.

I'm already wishing I had some way of using limit switches, as I've had the thing push beyond boundaries already a couple of times... I'm guessing there is no way to do that with the grblShield, but with one of these parallel port doo-dads it looks totally doable.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank you Caleb for the videos and time you spent responding to others here. It's making me want to upgrade my machine, and I haven't even cut my first part yet! Sometimes i think if these websites selling stuff were smart, they would have more folks like you building and posting their videos of their hardware... it makes me want to build with what you used!

So, thanks again. I'm loving this great community here.

FG