Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

secretspy711

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by secretspy711 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm

this is the most helpful thread I've come across, on getting LinuxCNC up and running. When I get tired of grbl's limitations, I'm going this route. thank you for this.

Atomist

Post by Atomist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 am

I really enjoyed this thread too and have used it and many of the other build logs as a basis to getting started. So thank you Caleb, you put a lot of thought into this and I appreciated reading about it. I noticed that you said you were unhappy with how many power supplies you ended up with. Not trying to to criticize what you've built because I like your setup, but you have enough amperage to run 4 or 5 of these setups :P The most current this setup could probably ever draw is 6-7 amps at 36v. So one power supply around 10 amps would be plenty to run EVERYTHING. I'm going to use some DC to DC converters on mine to get my 5v/12v for drivers/fans and will share my build as soon as the rest of the parts get here! But for the cost of parts it may be just as easy to do it your way since it isn't that much cheaper.Thanks again!

talon

Post by talon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 pm

I love the post and the youtube videos. I plan on using your build log as a basis for my upcoming project. I'll be sure to post the progress on a new thread and I may have some questions for you in the future.

Keep up the good work!

talon

Post by talon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:25 am

Caleb,

I've been doing some research on the motors that you used. I initially purchased the smaller NEMA 23 motors from Inventables. Their design amperage is 2.5 amps, the DRV8825 can only go up to 2.2 amps so I'm looking for some new motors (I'll either sell those motors, try to return them (they are unused), or use them on another project). Based on the info in your vids, you must be running those motors in bipolar series. The torque curve drops of rapidly with that configuration so I'm wondering if you have any torque issue at higher speeds. If bipolar series is no issue, I may go for this motor http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... ith-a-flat

Is there any reason not to choose that motor?

-Clay

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 am

talon wrote:Caleb,

I've been doing some research on the motors that you used. I initially purchased the smaller NEMA 23 motors from Inventables. Their design amperage is 2.5 amps, the DRV8825 can only go up to 2.2 amps so I'm looking for some new motors (I'll either sell those motors, try to return them (they are unused), or use them on another project). Based on the info in your vids, you must be running those motors in bipolar series. The torque curve drops of rapidly with that configuration so I'm wondering if you have any torque issue at higher speeds. If bipolar series is no issue, I may go for this motor http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... ith-a-flat

Is there any reason not to choose that motor?

-Clay
I have had no problems with my motors. In fact, I have tried to move the gantry, with the motors powered up, and I can't do it with out exerting a great deal of force on the machine.

The only thing I would say about the motors you linked to is that they may be more then you need by a bit, but hey MORE POWER! Right?
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

marcus4e

Post by marcus4e » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Caleb,

I have gotten my Shapeoko 2 construct done. And I am finishing up the wiring to the Arduino / gShield to do my Hello World hopefully sometime yet this week. It has been about 9 months since I last posted on your build log. I continue to appreciate the excellent learnings and documentation you have passed on through your build log and you tube videos.

I have watched your CAD/CAM videos and wondered if you have decided on your replacement software workflow yet? I have moved off trying to find a Mac software workflow solution and bought myself a cheap Dell laptop with Windows 7. I am actively considering Cut2D for my workflow. What do you think? It seems robust and a value price for what you get. Plus, there are upgrade paths to their Cut3D and Vcarve Pro. My only concern is whether the generic post processor will work for the Arduino / gShield. Do you know whether a post processor exists for this setup? Have you tried using one of their demo parts to see how the gcode runs like you mentioned in your video?

I decided to start out with the Arduino / gShield setup with an Inventables quiet cut spindle and relay. Then, I plan to upgrade to a TinyG board. Eventually, I will move on to the Pololu stepper drivers as my experience grows. I have been searching electronic enclosure options as I do my final wiring so that I kind of think through how I want to wire it up and protect it from the dust. Net, I am moving forward and hope to be operational this Fall and making upgrades as needed.

Regards,
Mark

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:56 am

marcus4e wrote:Caleb,

I have gotten my Shapeoko 2 construct done. And I am finishing up the wiring to the Arduino / gShield to do my Hello World hopefully sometime yet this week. It has been about 9 months since I last posted on your build log. I continue to appreciate the excellent learnings and documentation you have passed on through your build log and you tube videos.

I have watched your CAD/CAM videos and wondered if you have decided on your replacement software workflow yet? I have moved off trying to find a Mac software workflow solution and bought myself a cheap Dell laptop with Windows 7. I am actively considering Cut2D for my workflow. What do you think? It seems robust and a value price for what you get. Plus, there are upgrade paths to their Cut3D and Vcarve Pro. My only concern is whether the generic post processor will work for the Arduino / gShield. Do you know whether a post processor exists for this setup? Have you tried using one of their demo parts to see how the gcode runs like you mentioned in your video?

I decided to start out with the Arduino / gShield setup with an Inventables quiet cut spindle and relay. Then, I plan to upgrade to a TinyG board. Eventually, I will move on to the Pololu stepper drivers as my experience grows. I have been searching electronic enclosure options as I do my final wiring so that I kind of think through how I want to wire it up and protect it from the dust. Net, I am moving forward and hope to be operational this Fall and making upgrades as needed.

Regards,
Mark
Mark,
It's good to hear that my documentation has been helpful to you.

I personally think that Cut2D is a viable solution, and is still one of my favorite software packages so far. I really don't think that you would have any trouble with the postprocessor. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a user created one specifically for GRBL, but I can't remember where I saw that now. Perhaps a Google search would reveal something of value?

Another thing to keep in mind, is Inventables' easel.com. I've been following the development of it for quite a while now, and I have to say, that for anybody that has a stock ShapeOko using a Gshield, its worth taking a look at. (Actually, it's worth taking a look at no matter what kind of setup you have.) The best part is that it's free! The second best part is that they seem to be very keen on expanding and improving the functionality of the software.

Best,
Caleb
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:37 am

Cut2D on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... e#2.5D_CAM
you can also find an alternate set of Post Processors at the following forum post Vectric Aspire Post Processor
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 44&p=20885
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 am

Well, it's been a while, but I finally have something interesting enough to post to my build log again. So a couple of months ago I decided I was going to purchase a SuperPid to add to my ShapeOko. It took a little bit longer than I expected to set it all up, but I really have to say that it was well worth the effort.

I decided I wanted it primarily because I'm interested in milling aluminum, and I felt like it would be very valuable to be able to dictate the speed of the spindle. We'll see if that turns out to be wisdom or folly.

At any rate, my initial impressions are very positive. I also took the time to make a video showcasing the SuperPid and my installation of it into my setup. Hope everyone enjoys.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Great work! The for posting.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...