Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Alexj

Re: Caleb's Shapeoko 2 #3164

Post by Alexj » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:04 pm

CalebPeters wrote: ........., I have tried to move the gantry, with the motors powered up, and I can't do it with out exerting a great deal of force on the machine.
Thank you so much Caleb for sharing all these great info,
.I am on my final steps on ordering shapeoko mechanical kit + some electronics also I am wanting to build the stepper driver since I could not find a reliable and low price 4Axis driver( except this one http://www.aquickcnc.com/store/electron ... ontroller/. )
Anyway
I have read somewhere that the motors are power generator as well, so if you move them manually they will generate electricity and might damage your boards.

Thank you again
Alex

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 am

Hey caleb...

As a linuxcnc user, have you managed to look into Jog while paused by any chance? Would be nice to see a tutorial if you have got it right.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:23 pm

megeshg wrote:Hey caleb...

As a linuxcnc user, have you managed to look into Jog while paused by any chance? Would be nice to see a tutorial if you have got it right.
I'm guessing you are talking about this?

Looks cool. If I ever get some time I'll be playing with it.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 am

Yes correct. There have been times i wished i could pause, jog up the spindle, vacuum some stubborn chips and then continue. All my trials on aluminium have resulted in issue since the chips remain in the cut.

Mach3 has this feature by default, so was hoping for someone that could show me how to get this feature working in LinuxCNC. My linux skills are very weak.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 am

It's been a little while since I've posted anything to my build log, but I just got done editing a video demonstrating the use of my USB microscope for zeroing the X and Y axis on my machine last night.
Here's the video if you're interested in taking a look.

I'm actually quite pleased with the results I've gotten out of it so far, and I'm sure that with a little more time spent dialing it in it can be more accurate than it is already. At any rate, here's a little bit of documentation about the code end of things.

As I showed in a previous video here's the link to the WebCam I'm using.

I would note that I wouldn't choose this microscope if I had it to do it all over again. It's a nice shape for this application, but because of how the camera focuses I don't believe that the focus can be used effectively without limiting the repeatability of the system. I could be wrong about this, and I'll probably be spending some time later testing it. But, only time will tell how that all pans out.

Moving on, I used a program called MPlayer to view the WebCam video, as well as, drawing the crosshairs over the video feed. It's a pretty cool piece of software, and because of how flexible it is it is able to be embedded within a LinuxCNC GUI tab. One of the biggest problems I ran into early with using MPlayer was that while it is customizable to a fault it won't let you draw a couple of lines over this video to form crosshairs. Luckily, I found somebody on the Linux CNC forum that cleverly figured out that they could just draw two rectangles over the video feed with the following code added to your .ini file.

Code: Select all

EMBED_TAB_NAME = Camera
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = mplayer -wid {XID} tv://0 -vf rectangle=-1:2:-1:240,rectangle=2:-1:320:-1
And, that's it. With those two lines of code, and MPlayer installed you have an embedded video feed with crosshairs. Another great thing is that of all the different software's I've tested MPlayer is by far the least CPU intensive option I've seen, and it also gives the smoothest FPS performance as well.

I also programmed a custom button into my LinuxCNC GUI that runs some G-code that zeros out the X and Y axis while taking into account the offset of the cameras position in relation to the spindles position. To accomplish this I had to edit three existing files in my config folder and create a .NGC file.

<pre>
o101 sub
(Sets X0 with offset of 1.5)
G10 L20 P1 X1.5
(Sets Y0 with offset of 1.5)
G10 L20 P1 y1.5
(Moves to Xo Y0)
G1 X0 Y0 F900
o101 endsub
</pre>
It's a pretty simple O-code file really that only contains three lines of G-code. The first two lines of G code are both G10 L20 commands which sets the coordinate system. The cool thing is that it automatically takes into account the offset, in this case 1.5, when calculating where X and Y 0 are. The "P1" refers to the coordinate system which can be a number between 1 to 9. The third line of G-code is a G1 command that tells the machine to move to the X0 Y0 position at a feed rate of 900.

Next we go back to the .ini file and add "HALUI = halui" under the "[HAL]" section. Then, if it doesn't exist already, you need to create a "[HALUI]" section. Under this section add the line "MDI_COMMAND = o101 call" you should end up with something that looks similar to the code below.

[HAL]
HALUI = halui
HALFILE = ShapeOko_2_Conf_V4.0.hal
HALFILE = custom.hal
POSTGUI_HALFILE = custom_postgui.hal

[HALUI]
MDI_COMMAND = o101 call
After that's complete, you need to add the following to your custompanel.XML file.

<button>
     	<halpin>"o101"</halpin>
        <text>"Touch Off X and Y"</text>
     	<font>('fixed',10)</font>
</button>
If you don't see this file in your configuration directory, the easiest way to get everything in place is to run through the stepconf wizard.

Finally, just add the following line of code to your custom_postgui.Hal file.

net remote-o101 halui.mdi-command-01 <= pyvcp.o101
To find the X and Y offset of the camera position I painted a scrap piece of wood black to allow for a better contrast for the next step. With a 60° v-bit in the spindle I milled a small pip into the wood. I then, without moving the machine in either the X or Y axis, I zeroed out the X and Y axis. After doing this, I manually jogged the machine so that the video feed had the crosshairs pointed in the center of the pip. Then it was a simple task of recording the X and Y axis values, and in putting those numbers into the 101.NGC file.

And, that's it! :D
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Great video, I really enjoyed it...everytime I watch you modify, enhance your machine.. just makes me what to get back at er... I have neglected my machine as my other hobbies have taken precedence.... but I think it might be time to do so.

Thanks again for sharing and know that this Shapeoko'ist truly appreciates your work!

Cheers.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue May 12, 2015 3:54 am

LTMNO wrote:Great video, I really enjoyed it...everytime I watch you modify, enhance your machine.. just makes me what to get back at er... I have neglected my machine as my other hobbies have taken precedence.... but I think it might be time to do so.

Thanks again for sharing and know that this Shapeoko'ist truly appreciates your work!

Cheers.
Wow thanks! It means a lot to hear that.

Another thing that I been working on is a custom z-axis. I forgot to post this video showing it off a bit.

I also made some new DW660 mounts to go along with my new z-axis, and I just got the video for it done. The mounts are made from 1/2 inch aluminum, and I think they are going to work out quite nicely. :D

For those who don't like video here's some pictures documenting the build process of the DW660 mounts.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 am

Very cool!

Have you considered if it would be possible to make a replacement for the motor and electronics for the DW660’s plastic housing out of aluminum?

You could probably get something narrower in diameter if you include the mounts in the new housing, reducing lever effects.

Unfortunately, it’s probably not possible to do that for less than the cost of an MLCS Rocky 30....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue May 12, 2015 2:27 pm

WillAdams wrote:Very cool!

Have you considered if it would be possible to make a replacement for the motor and electronics for the DW660’s plastic housing out of aluminum?

You could probably get something narrower in diameter if you include the mounts in the new housing, reducing lever effects.

Unfortunately, it’s probably not possible to do that for less than the cost of an MLCS Rocky 30....
It has crossed my mind. In fact, I've already had my 660 apart two or three times pondering this possibility. Well, I suppose I was "dreaming" of the possibility anyways.

At the end of the day, you definitely have a point about the cost, and I think that's one of the big factors that kills it for me.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Well, another week down, and another step towards getting my ShapeOko back up and running.

Here's a video I made documenting the assembly process.

There's still a little bit of work to do before I can run a job with it, but running the axis test within the step conf wizard it seems it will reliably move at 110 mm/s. I don't necessarily trust that number since I haven't had time to double check all of my figures, and make sure it's accurate. There's also a possibility with LinuxCNC that it's not actually getting up to that speed because of insufficient distance to accelerate, but it doesn't really matter what the actual speed it's traveling is because it's a vast improvement over the stock z-axis.

The image above contains a fairly complete parts list for this z-axis assembly, but in case someone's interested in where I bought certain parts the following is a list of links to some of the more unique components to this build.