MeanderBolt's Build Log

MeanderBolt

MeanderBolt's Build Log

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 am

Today is a good day. For all the craziness that was the work day, I got to come home to find a wonderful white BOX!
Attachments
Shapeoko_Serial.jpg
I now have a serial number.
Shapeoko_Serial.jpg (160.79 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

criznach

Re: MeanderBolt's Build Log

Post by criznach » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 am

MeanderBolt wrote:Today is a good day. For all the craziness that was the work day, I got to come home to find a wonderful white BOX!
Darn, is that where you get the serial no? I threw my box out!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 am

It might be printed on your invoice. If not, just e-mail Inventables customer service.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 am

I have not been posting as I have been going as I wanted to work on the machine and not spend the time writing about it. I have found that it can derail me in projects I have done in the past. So... like many others, I have timelapsed my build. I used a GoPro at a frame every 2 seconds. It makes for a little longer video, but you can see various places where I got stuck for a while. In the gantry video, I just plain turned off the camera when I was fighting the spoilboard. There was no sense in wasting your time and my card space.
Electronics and motor testing

Carriages

Video of the gantry build

Video of the PreWiring Process

And the obligatory "HELLO WORLD
Build log

gmfoster

Post by gmfoster » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:38 am

Looks like you had some good help.

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

Yup. I wanted to let my son help as much as possible. Before it arrived I was describing it as the ultimate LEGO kit. I wasn't wrong. We had a lot of fun with it. I also need to give him credit for the animation idea during the carriages video, so while we were working on the gantry there were moments that were sort of one man jobs, so as I got ready to use something I would tell him to move something over to me, or put something back. I was already planning on time lapsing the whole thing, he just and he would start to move pieces in between the shots working to the speed of the camera. Once I caught onto what he was doing, we started coming up with some goofy ideas (most never got fully realized but fun none the less) .
Build log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Great set of videos (which I'm sure went much better 'cause of your helper).

The little animated segment is incredibly charming --- you should duplicate it into its own video and add a soundtrack (I'd thought I'd left my machine muted until I got to ``Hello World'').

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 pm

My plan was to get everything built and have all the segments available for a real edit. At the point I am making these I was more focused on the actual build. But I agree, a sound track is necessary. That hello world not the first attempt at hello world. The first 1 resulted in does the axis ramming Sharpi into the table. For some reason, after I got done with the air drawn hello world, all the movement were wacked out. I pressed return to zero and the z axis shot all the way up and slammed the flange bearing plates, then after a few seconds of grinding, it reversed and destroyed the Sharpie. I didn't know what to do or press to make it stop, so eventually I just yanked the power. I have an emergency stop switch, but I had not installed it yet.
Build log

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm

I think the Hello World file leaves the machine in inch mode. If your next command expects the machine to be in millimeter mode (for example, in the case of naive* host software that isn't aware when G-code changes the mode), the machine will travel much more than intended.

* If I remember correctly, GRBL Controller suffered from a misunderstanding of how GRBL's position reporting worked. The author assumed it would change units when G-code switches mode, but, in reality, the units for position reporting were controlled independently, by a configuration variable. This caused visualization problems, but I can see how it could also lead to excessive Z moves. I don't know whether the problem has been fixed.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Bnixon

Post by Bnixon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 pm

So what is the fix? I will be receiving my Shapoko2 kit shortly and would like to know how to keep this from happening so that no sharpies are harmed during the making if the video :)