Schruminator 1.8m x 1.0m SO2

Schruminator

Re: 6ft ShapeOko2 Build with Side Clamping (Schruminator)

Post by Schruminator » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm

I haven't run any significant jobs since I installed the dust shields, but I'll try and get a picture of the whole set up posted tonight or tomorrow night-- I don't have a dust shoe or shop vac, so I'll definitely find out pretty quick if this works well or not!

Anyways, once I run a few jobs I'll come back on here and let you know if this was a terrible idea or a terribly awesome idea :)
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:02 pm

I didn't get a chance to take pictures the other night, but while the dust shields are nice and block a ton of dust, they still let a lot in. I'll have make myself a dust shoe soon (or at least a duct to strap on and aim the dust away from my rails) and hopefully that'll help.

The dust only comes in the gaps in the center of the dust shield (that I cut for clearance of the spindle gantry), but it's enough that I had to fire up the air compressor to clear things out (with the shields there you can't brush it off easily). If I can figure out a way to cover those gaps without affecting my clearance I think the dust shields will be a solid improvement, but until then they are still a bit of a hassle at the moment.

That's about it for the moment. I'll try and add pictures when I can and keep you posted on any more mods!
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 am

So I ditched the dust shields and broke down and bought a $20 shop vac at Lowes. I made a DIY dust collector (to remove the debris before it makes it to the vacuum so the filter doesn't clog up and cause a loss of suction), strapped on a homemade dust shoe and it's wonderful.

Well, rather, the noise is awful, the vacuum hose is ugly, but the lack of dust is really quite amazing. I really wish the dust shields would have worked, but I'm much less concerned about running my machine unattended now (with a vacuum) than I was before. I also ended up rotating the z-axis stepper motor by 180 degrees and trimming off the front 1/2 inch of the plates that sandwich the z-axis bearing. That let me sneak my DW611 past the plates and gain about 3 inches in clearance.

I'll get some pictures up soon (it's nothing spectacular, although the dust separator is nice and I'm not entirely sure if I've seen the z-axis mod on here before), but I also just bought 1m Makerslide and some extra wheels to beef up the z-axis-- so in the next few weeks hopefully I can get my machine expanded out to 1.8m x 1.m-- it'll be nice!

Threefer

Post by Threefer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 am

I did this mod to give my makita router clearance. I think you are the 3rd or 4th one to do it this way, it works well. Someone also did this same idea but created new plates which look awesome. I'm designing a new z axis that will incorporate new motor plates but also moves the spindle in closer to the y axis by about a half inch. The spindle plate and mounts will also be redesigned. I'm almost finished designing it. I will post files for thoughts or ideas before I implement it on my shapeoko.

Here is a link to my post on my z plate trim mod.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 248#p20248

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko# 3456, Makita RT0701c. Stock size for now but have 13"x13" travel by trimming down belt clamps and lip on smooth idler. Dovetailed wooden track clamping setup. Dust shoe in works.

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I did on the z-axis. If you read enough of the threads on this forum you start to forget what ideas you came up with on your own and what ideas you gained from someone else's posts :)

Schruminator

Re: Schruminator 1.8m x 1.0m SO2

Post by Schruminator » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:59 am

Alright, so I've changed plenty on my SO2, but I haven't had time to update this post at all. Besides my dustshoe (which was a great help over the plastic I was cobbling together previously) I've also added on fans to my Y and Z stepper motors. I also attached heat sinks to both of these stepper (with thermal adhesive)-- the fans and the heat sinks have made a very noticeable improvement in how hard I can run the machine without running into heat buildup issues.

Another mod I made just the other weekend is that I cut a grid of 3" x 3" squares into my table and painted them white. This is a great help when you are trying to line something up and extreme accuracy (1/16" or less) is not needed. This allows you to eyeball things, get it within an 1/8" of parallel with the machine (if not closer) and clamp it down. Quick and easy.

The last thing I'll mention at the moment is my alternative to a drag chain. Basically a pulley and a weight keep my cables out of the way without dragging them on the table.
JA0A7111.jpg
Grid Cut Into Table
JA0A7111.jpg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
JA0A7115.jpg
Z Stepper
JA0A7115.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
JA0A7118.jpg
JA0A7118.jpg (124.81 KiB) Viewed 1322 times