Another build log

jsbannis

Another build log

Post by jsbannis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:54 am

Yet another pre-inventables build log (just pictures basically) to make everyone jealous. Although if it makes anyone feel better, I was lazy and don't have a driver board yet, so I'm basically stalled.

I feel kind of silly for asking, but how does everyone know what number their machine is?

Anyone that doesn't have a panavise (or similar desktop vise) should get one. I got it for holding pcbs while soldering, and I've used it more for other things than I have for that (makes a great iphone holder for recipes while cooking)

Gantry assembled!

Almost done!

More exhaustive amount of pictures at https://plus.google.com/photos/10558771 ... banner=pwa
shapeoko #0057

edwardrford

Re: Another build log

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:56 am

Looks awesome!

Your serial number is #0057

I think this is the 2nd machine I've seen in that shade of blue (reminds me of cubby blue!) and both times now I loved it. Great choice.

I'm also really digging what you did with the motor connectors. Are those nema23?! What's their holding torque? Where did you buy them? They look really shiny and cool :D

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm

The blue finish looks great, what kind of paint did you use?

What are you planning for the electronics with that dual-y configuration you have?

nema23's for the x/y and a nema17 for the z? Aside from the fancy molex connectors, they look identical to the ones I received from phidgets 2 days ago. :D
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 pm

I like the pc power supply tips! Do you mind if i take that idea? I have a ton!

Love the work so far looks so pretty... im opposite of you.. i have all parts and no shapeoko :( we are both sad people

I have that same screw driver set :)
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 am

Thanks guys!

The paint is rustoleum high performance enamel. I have a picture of the can, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it into g+ and then get a URL for it from an iPhone.

The motors are indeed the nema 23s from Phidget's. I used paracord to sheathe the wires, takes forever but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. Molex connectors seemed perfect for 4 wires carrying power :)

I'm on the preorder for ejs's version of the build log shield to drive them. Planning on the alternate belt config and Dr Robs belt anchors.

Also I think everyone has that screwdriver set :P
shapeoko #0057

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah it is looking really nice.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 am

Received my buildlog shield from ejs last week and put it together yesterday.

Unboxing:

Assembly

Perhaps I should add a "56k warning" to the title :) It appears that a lot of the Inventables kits are being completed, apparently I've been taking my slow time with this.

Remaining: Run belts, tighten everything up, wire motors, order power supply and heatsinks, hello world!
shapeoko #0057

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 am

New end plates painted and assembled!

And video of XY axis testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMPhniZ8vEI

Z axis is having issues, not moving similar to another thread on the forums. I tried adjusting the current from low, all the way to 2A (it's a 2.4 A stepper from phidgets) and nothing seems to work. I'm wondering if the 12V PC psu doesn't have enough juice for it.
shapeoko #0057

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Looking good.

That's a clever idea using the old front/back plates as straps between the misumi extrusions. Seems like those would make a nice solid platform to put a piece of 3/4" MDF on top of (wasteboard). If you drilled a couple holes in each of the straps, you could screw into the MDF from the bottom, which would prevent your tool from potentially running into a screw.

Nice work, keep us posted (pun intended?) on your z-axis woes.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 am

Finally got to a point where I may actually be able to use the machine :D

Cable carrier is attached to plates with aluminum brackets I made with an "improvised" brake made from door hinges and some lumber. Spring on top is supposed to be for a screen door or something, cut down to size with dremel and cutoff wheel.

Inspiration from Edward's T-nut hold downs here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1025. This is a spoil board meant for milling 2"x3" pcb blanks, the orange square is approximately where I'll be milling to flatten the surface with respect to the machine.

And the obligatory hello world:
shapeoko #0057