Page 3 of 3

Re: Edward's S2 Buildlog (rebuild log)

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 pm
by edwardrford
RobCee - great minds think alike! I may shorten the distance I have now by a few mm between center bearing and center motor. If done correctly, the nema17 will sit directly in between the two X carriage plates. For nema23 motors, it looks like top mounting will be required with a standard setup. No big deal with a few spacers.

I thought the side mount idea was a good one, but in practice it proved so-so due to the difficulties in getting everything lined up properly.. For anyone in the chicagoland area, you can see a working example of a side mount at the chicago public library! The custom enclosed shapeoko i built for them uses that setup.


Over the weekend I made some more progress on my build and got so far as to actually cut some (test) parts with the setup. Really i was just playing around with a 2x4, running some bmp->gcode jobs and then facing the stock and running another.
DSC06658.jpg
DSC06658.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
DSC06659.jpg
DSC06659.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Before deciding to screw the stock into a piece of plywood, I managed to run my *new* router bit into one of the metal hold downs.. not good.
DSC06645.jpg
DSC06645.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
All in all I think this little guy is ready to go! I have some jobs planned for this weekend, so we'll see how the machine holds up to the rigors of work, but so far I'm really pleased to have a working machine that isn't' in the process of being tinkered with! (first time in a long time).

-Edward

Re: Edward's S2 Buildlog (rebuild log)

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:53 am
by twforeman
That's why I like to make wooden hold downs. :)

Looks good! It's always good to stop tinkering and make some chips!

Re: Edward's S2 Buildlog (rebuild log)

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 pm
by edwardrford
Did some work over the weekend.

I tried out F-engrave. My first experience with vcarving anything outside of v-carve pro. Going into it, I made sure my expectations were in check, and did the best I could to look at it from an unbiased point of view.

I stopped by menards and bought this 60°v-bit to do the carving.
Image

All in all, it's a nice program. I inputted text, set a couple of parameters and then outputted the gcode for mach3 to read. The only issue I had was with the spacing between words. it looks too large in comparison to the letter spacing. here is the test piece I did. Eventually this will be a sign (that my wife requested) for our dining room wall. The finished size will be roughly 10" x 6". The piece shown is about 8" x 3"
vcarve_first_run.jpg
vcarve_first_run.jpg (328.38 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
this was just an engraving job, no profile cuts. When the job was finished, I ran it through the table saw to cut off the top. You can see that I was dangerously close to lopping off the top of the 'h'! Regardless, it's a good proof of concept for me. I'm going to play around with finishing, and working up some pattern for the perimeter before trying it again.

-Edward

Re: Edward's S2 Buildlog (rebuild log)

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:08 pm
by Herby53
Hello,

I don't know, if I am right here, but I'll try to place my question:

Is there a complete wiring diagram for the TB6560 with limit switches, power supply, fuse and relay etc. to use with Mach3. I've searched this forum and the internet but I only find "images and lines",
but no concrete connection plan. The information that came with the board are not useful

This is the controller board:
http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Stepper ... 560+4+axis

Furthermore, I would like to use a 0.8KW spindle with VFD / inverter. Are there any experience how to wire it to the board.

Thanks for your help

Herby