Groguards Build Log

groguard

Groguards Build Log

Post by groguard » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:19 am

Hello everyone. Im a little late at putting this up, but I figure since Im going to be doing lots of upgrades I figured I would share what I have come up with. I have only found a few posts on building such a machine I have decided to build, so I figured people looking at doing such upgrades could use some of my ideas if they want. I was also looking for some input on the upgrades and how I set it up. I would also like to note that I'm completely new to the cnc world. I have a friend that is really into 3d printers, so he was able to answer most of my questions, as most of the mechanics of a cnc and 3d printer are similar. I have plans to make this machine 1mx1m. I currently have almost everything ordered to make this happen. Im just waiting on the parts to arrive, and I will be showing and sharing how I have it planned out.
Another side note, I ordered a z axis upgrade from IC, and the first rod I received was pretty bend. I emailed about it and he responded back quickly (even tho he was out of town for the weekend). He shipped out a new one very quickly. I just wanted to mention what great customer service. Thanks again IC!

Alright so right now I have a almost stock machine. The only current upgrades that are installed are the Z axis upgrade, and the DW660.
Here is a few pics of assembly. I have to say, the instructions were very good. There was only a couple parts I had to do a little research on, but for the most part it was smooth sailing.

Some general assembly here

Getting the gantry together

I kind of skipped a few pics of some the steps, I was getting anxious to get it together haha.
Here is the frame coming together with the gantry installed.

Here is my hello world test run, after a couple tries It got it perfect. Most of my issue was just getting the pen secure.

After I did the test run a couple times to familiarize myself with the machine I felt comfortable enough to try and do my first cut.
I cut this out of a piece of a plastic clipboard I had sitting around haha.
I think it turned out pretty ok for my first cut! It was exciting watching it cut something for the first time. Huge sense of accomplishment.

Here is some pictures of the gantry and new z axis upgrade. I have to say the new z axis was a big improvement speed and accuracy wise. I would recommend it to anyone who has a shapeoko, well worth it.

Yes I have no shame. This is my rigged dust shoe. It was made from IC's file. Milled out of 3/4' red oak lol. With a duct tape skirt... Anyway it works :). I will do a more permanent one soon.

Here is a picture of where the machine sits now. I have a larger table for the soon to come upgrades :).
I'd be happy to answer any comments or questions you may have, or constructive criticism is welcome.
Shout out to Edward for making this all happen. Excellent!
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Groguards Build Log

Post by WillAdams » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 pm

groguard wrote:I have to say, the instructions were very good.
Thanks. Glad to hear that.
There was only a couple parts I had to do a little research on, but for the most part it was smooth sailing.
Did you keep notes / can you recall what your difficulties were? If so, please take a moment to review the current state of the instructions and if your concerns haven't been addressed, let us know what they are, either posting here, making a new page in the wiki, or by making a pull request in github.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

groguard

Post by groguard » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Did you keep notes / can you recall what your difficulties were? If so, please take a moment to review the current state of the instructions and if your concerns haven't been addressed, let us know what they are, either posting here, making a new page in the wiki, or by making a pull request in github.
I didn't keep notes, I'm terrible. When I think back on it tho, I dont think it was the instructions that were holding me up. When I was putting the original Z axis together the lead nut wasn't tapped properly. I had to wait till the next day to go out and buy a M8 tap. I think that was one of the only hold ups.
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
Build Log

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:53 pm

You know it's a good piece of machinery if there's duct tape somewhere on it...

;-)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

groguard

Post by groguard » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 am

Ok so I took the plunge today and took apart the machine and proceeded to do the upgrades.

Here is the new nema 23's installed. I used m5x30 machine screws, I could have went much shorter. I also wish I went for the low profile screws for the X, as the ones I got rubbed slightly on the openrail screws. The dremel took care of that. I used 1/4" spacers to bring the motor out enough to clear the idler pulley nuts.

After I got the new motor mounted it was time to tackle getting the openrail mounted to the new X axis rail. I chose to go with a 60x40 1000mm length extrusion from misumi. The biggest the stock plates would accept without modification.

After I got all the rails installed it was time to widen the gantry. To do this I used a 1, 1-1/2" and 1, 1-3/8" spacers, and m5x85mm screws to accommodate the new 60mm wide rail.
Worked out perfect.

Then I got the end plates installed, and checked that all clearances were good. Everything was smooth, and cleared without issue.

I then tapped out the new Y rails, got the mid span supports installed and got the feet in place.

Tomorrow I will be getting everything squared up, get the belts installed, and finish wiring everything up. Then get some waste board installed. Check back tomorrow for more updates :D
Build Log

groguard

Post by groguard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:54 am

Alright, so today I got the belts on. Got everything squared up and mounted to the table, more mounts to come just to make sure it stays in place. I also started working on the wiring, and mounting drag chains. Im going to be mounting the drag chains better soon. I was just looking for a way to do it without buying more parts. I think I will have everything finished up by the end of the weekend. Im still waiting on the new pulleys to come(I ordered the wrong ones :?)those should be here next Wednesday(sigh). Here is my results

Build Log

groguard

Post by groguard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 am

Today I got the machine finished up! Im going to make some more adjustments to the wiring setup, but Im happy with it for now. Here is a pic of the finished machine :)

Build Log

groguard

Post by groguard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 am

Adding a few photos of some of the upgrades Ive done over the last few months.

I upgraded to 9mm wide GT2 belts. More info here http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4266

Belt drive Z axis and dust shoe (from the shapeoko store), with aluminum mounts for the router(from Inventables).
Build Log

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 am

new dust shoe i see
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

groguard

Post by groguard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 am

jkanzaki wrote:new dust shoe i see
Yea, it was time to get something better haha
Build Log