Large Format Shapeoko

SlickShoez

Large Format Shapeoko

Post by SlickShoez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 am

Hi there Shapeoko Community,

I've almost got my shapeoko all put together, all I have left is the working/wasteboard area and I thought I'd share. I've got to say that Z axis was the biggest pain in the @$$. When moving the Z axis I would get an unpleasant buzz and vibration. I think the instructions should have mentioned the coupler potentially having too much tension on it, because I spent a long time chasing the problem, but it might not be as common as I think. However I eventually identified the problem and just loosened, reseated, and shimmed the coupler. Also this is my first CNC machine, so the experience factor probably played a big role in some of the problems I had. I also had issues with the delran nut being a thread size too small, I retapped and it worked great. I broke my tap, but that was my own fault. I'm running 1800mmx1800mm maker slides and dual extrusions to help add some rigidity to it. Alsorockin' nema 23's for the x and y axis. I've ran hello world with great success without the wasteboard.

What I'm working on now is finishing up the waste table and adding casters to it. After that I plan on mounting the shapeoko to the top of the MDF and mounting to the extrusions through the bottom. I think the only thing I have left to order are the midspan supports for my long makerslide runs, however without them the machine SEEMS to be running OK. I do plan on getting them or making them. Also running a Bosch Colt Trim Router.

Second pic has a glimpse of the shapeoko on the floor there.

I've also been designing and educating myself on creating models through Rhino 3d, Sketchup, and solidworks, because it's all new to me.

-steve

*****Update 11 April

I got her all mounted and secured. I was chasing my tail for a while trying to figure out why my x axis would barely move. I came to find that a couple of my eccentric nuts were too tight. It's moving nice and smooth! Unfortunately I tried to run my first "real job" and broke my collet on my bosch colt, so now I have one being overnighted. In reading about the colt collets I'm hearing the stock ones aren't the greatest, however I'm going to chalk this break up to inexperience.(I know this isn't the place to ask for help, but let me know your thoughts, I'm sort of "fly by night" and a serious noob when it comes to this experience) I think my feed rate and pass depth allowance might have been a little much. See my "OH SHIT" video below.

Collet in pieces:

Annnnd the video:

Last edited by SlickShoez on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edwardrford

Re: Large Format Shapeoko

Post by edwardrford » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:46 am

Nice work Steve!

I lick it when people just jump right in, both feet, no turning back, just like you did.

Keep us posted on the build progress, I'm anxious to see a few pictures once you get everything mounted up.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

SlickShoez wrote:I've got to say that Z axis was the biggest pain in the @$$. When moving the Z axis I would get an unpleasant buzz and vibration. I think the instructions should have mentioned the coupler potentially having too much tension on it, because I spent a long time chasing the problem, but it might not be as common as I think. However I eventually identified the problem and just loosened, reseated, and shimmed the coupler. Also this is my first CNC machine, so the experience factor probably played a big role in some of the problems I had.
Please (re)check the instructions --- you could check the commit history to see when the following notes were added if you're curious:

##Spindle Carriage Assembly (PS20029)
6. Attach the Delrin Lead nut to the center of the plate using two 12mm M5 BHCS (**\#12**) --- be careful not to over-tighten the bolts --- they should be tightened after the plate is mounted onto the balance of the Z-axis

##Z-Axis Sub-Assembly (PS20030)
If necessary, loosen the bolts holding the Delrin Lead Nut and adjust it to hold the threaded rod as straight as is possible, testing to see how the M8 threaded rod turns. It may be necessary to loosen other fasteners, such as the M5 bolts which hold the Z-axis Motor Mount plates and adjust the alignment and re-tighten. Adjust things until the Z-axis is properly aligned and everything moves as it should.
I also had issues with the delran nut being a thread size too small, I retapped and it worked great.
I've expressed a concern on that to Edward, Zach Kaplan and Bart Dring --- maybe what I read was way off, but hopefully they'll be able to pursue this w/ the sub-contractor and somehow achieve some better fit which doesn't compromise accuracy/precision.

I really wish that we could find an affordable source for M8 cross-dowel nuts here in the U.S.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 am

WillAdams wrote: I really wish that we could find an affordable source for M8 cross-dowel nuts here in the U.S.
what would you use this for Will, if it is to replace the delrin nut, would there not be too much play?

SlickShoez

Post by SlickShoez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:59 am

WillAdams wrote: ##Spindle Carriage Assembly (PS20029)
6. Attach the Delrin Lead nut to the center of the plate using two 12mm M5 BHCS (**\#12**) --- be careful not to over-tighten the bolts --- they should be tightened after the plate is mounted onto the balance of the Z-axis

##Z-Axis Sub-Assembly (PS20030)
If necessary, loosen the bolts holding the Delrin Lead Nut and adjust it to hold the threaded rod as straight as is possible, testing to see how the M8 threaded rod turns. It may be necessary to loosen other fasteners, such as the M5 bolts which hold the Z-axis Motor Mount plates and adjust the alignment and re-tighten. Adjust things until the Z-axis is properly aligned and everything moves as it should.
I figured it was on my side! I think at that point in the build process I was so excited to get it together I must have rushed over it. Thanks for affirming my illiteracy! :lol:

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm

megeshg wrote:what would you use this for Will, if it is to replace the delrin nut, would there not be too much play?
It's linked to from here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ACME_Z-axis

(but that part of the wiki needs to be re-worked)

See ejs' http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&p=12964

I guess we should just work up a nice version of jhilt's design: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=751 and use that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm

WillAdams wrote:
See ejs' http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&p=12964

I guess we should just work up a nice version of jhilt's design: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=751 and use that.
That is brilliant! never came across those posts but that's very smart!!

SlickShoez

Post by SlickShoez » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Updated original post with my latest and "greatest".I broke the collet :shock:

SlickShoez

Post by SlickShoez » Sun May 04, 2014 9:14 pm

So I've been tinkering around with my 1800x1800 shapeoko. To probably no ones surprise but me I found out pretty quick that you can't have such a large format of a shapeoko without reinforcinig the X axis and midpspan supports(of some kind). I was finding with some tests if I tried to cut material towards the middle of the table I would get a lot of wobble on the X axis which was likely causing my collets to break.

Utilizing the search feature of the forums I found LouisV's design for reinforcing the X axis(http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&start=20). I pretty much followed it to the T, but took his most recent suggestion of using 16-20 fasteners as oppose to just 10. The difference is unbelievable!!!!! Where I felt myself cringing before whenever I ran a job, I've gained a lot more confidence in the machine.

The reinforcing consists of an 1800mm extrusion sandwiched between the original 2 X axis makerslides. In accordance with LouisV's post, I used a drill press to drill clearance holes through one piece of makerslide and the center extrusion, then inserted pre extrusion nuts into the last piece of the maker slide , lastly used 45mm fasteners w/washers for joining all three pieces together. I used 18 fasteners in total. The reason you see two different types of screws is because my hardware store didn't carry button cap, and I was too antsy to wait. The additional piece of extrusion required me to increase the spacer sizes in my Gantry(right terminology?). LouisV used 90mm sockethead fasteners with x2 1" spacers and x1 7/8" spacer.

My mid span supports currently consist of snug fitted 2x4 pieces that seem to work OK for now until I decide to break down and get some REAL mid span supports.

I tried making a dust shoe for my bosch colt, but it was a big flop.

I think what I'm do for next, is waste board clamping system, dust collection, and a little bit more cable management.

Signals

Post by Signals » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 am

Hey man, we're building almost the exact same machine haha! Except mine is 1500 x 1800 (because its big enough to fit a 4 x 8 board through it. Might eventually order the full 8' makerslide so it has a working bed of nearly 4 x 8).

I also have the Bosch Colt and my collet also broke. I ordered the precise bits.com collet set of a 1/8th and 1/4 collet and they seem to be built much better. No problems.

I'm going to insert the third makerslide rail in my X-axis, but I'm not exactly sure on the process of bolting them together. I guess I'll clamp them together and drill press straight through them and use the 90 mm M5's + hex nuts to hold them together. I think I'm going to do the same for the Y-rails, because the end plates also look like they can hold up to 3 pieces of rail! Awesome!

Also let me know if you set up cable drag chain and how you rig it, because I'm going to have to do that soon.

I'm planning to attempt to design a vacuum holder for the Bosch Colt (I'll probably just design it as simple as possible, cut out a circle that goes around the router, tightens via a nut and screw and extends out to hold a vacuum hose. Probably will put some grooves in for that ... vacuum... fur... strip... stuff. Whatever it's called.

Cheers,

Alex