900x1800 Shapeoko reBuild - Old + New

cpt kirk

900x1800 Shapeoko reBuild - Old + New

Post by cpt kirk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Hello guys and gals, hope all of you are doing well. I have finally started working on expanding my Shapeoko after waiting close to an yr. I am not in any sort of rush to finish to project so i will take my time with it, as some of the things i am trying to do are completely new to me, so learning as you go kind of a deal.

Below are some of the goals i set out to accomplish. i Think anyone who builds their 2nd shapeoko has most of these on their list.

1. Torsion box table.
2. Better dust management. (shop vac -? what do you guys use?)
3. Extended on/off switches. All on/off Switches in one place
4. Electronics Box.
5. Better wire management.
6. LED Strip under the gantry
7. Better workhold downs.

1.First things first my old table was not leveled..so i tore it down and started from scratch and built a very strong base and then build a torsion box on top of the frame instead of building the frame into the box. This way it will be easier for me to move it just incase it needs moving.

There were few joints that were not good but nothing major that could not be fixed by sanding.
So far i have the Table glued up and ready to go i started on the machine while waiting on the Table to dry out.

2. Two 900mm Rails Welded together by JBWeld which i have used in the past to do the exact thing works really well.
Installed the LED strip (i went with the waterproof kind since it has a layer onto that protects, it will stay cleaner)

While waiting on the table to dry up completely i also tapped the 1800mm maker slide.
I use Olive oil when Tapping it works so well.

Next i will be getting everything onto the table and start to wire everything up.

SlickShoez

Re: 900x1800 Shapeoko reBuild - Old + New

Post by SlickShoez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Looking good Kirk!

Quick question for you. How important is the torsion box? I'm doing a large format shapeoko and this is my first cnc machine and I am learning a lot "the hard way". I'm in the process of reinforcing my X axis and I'm wondering if I should build a torsion box while my machine is torn down.

Do you have any plans to reinforce your X axis?

Look forward to seeing more!

-steve

cpt kirk

Post by cpt kirk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:53 am

SlickShoez wrote:Looking good Kirk!

Quick question for you. How important is the torsion box? I'm doing a large format shapeoko and this is my first cnc machine and I am learning a lot "the hard way". I'm in the process of reinforcing my X axis and I'm wondering if I should build a torsion box while my machine is torn down.

Do you have any plans to reinforce your X axis?

Look forward to seeing more!

-steve
Mate i am no expert by any means i researched the matter a great deal, i want to be able to cut different materials just lik everyone. If the table is not leveled sometimes you will notice that the profile cuts on ur project doesn't get cut all the way, with wood this is fine as u can almost all the time correct the issue. But i am looking to cut long acrylic (36inchs +) so a leveled work surface is crucial.

When you expand your shapeoko the table it sits on obviously expands and is more likely to bow downwards if it doesn't have proper support structure. I was almost tempted to buy a table from ikea and reenforcing it. But building a torsion box table myself made more sense in the long run. So if you are going big i would highly recommend a torsion table..

To enforce x-axis - i still haven't thought this far out I was thinking about adding a beam below x-axis and then attaching something like a midspan support 500mm to 600mm i think that might just be enough to make the machine rigid enough.

It might be a good idea to look at other builds i think to figure this out :)

cpt kirk

Post by cpt kirk » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm

Update time :)

After the Table dried, i checked for leveling issues. I am glad the table is perfectly straight, so i moved to next steps.

Things to be done.
: Wiring
: Wasteboard + Hold Down
: Mid-Span Support.

So to accomplish the above three i soft assembled the machine, so i could take measurements for the waste-Board that will go on the inside.

Soft assembly : Real Messy

While i was at this stage i wanted to get the most messy part out of the way and proceeded with the wiring. This was necessary as i wanted to use the machine to mark the holes for Tee-nuts to build the material hold down system.

Shapeoko is all wired up and ready to mark the holes for the Tee-Nuts.

Material Hold Down : I think this is one of the most important things other than the Shapeoko itself. Proper material hold down is something that had been eluding me for quite some time and this time i wanted to do it right and get it done.

Went to lowes to pick up MDF board, i measured exactly what size will fit inside or edge to edge of the Shapeoko and had the entire thing cut to exact size @ the lowes saving me time and energy.
: I used my shapeoko to mark spots (0.04'' deep) for the Holes where the tee-nuts will go into, as this faster rather than doing it all by hand and measuring everything. I drilled the holes thru with a drill and hammered the tee-nuts in afterwards. I wasn't sure which grid to follow and do as far as the holes were concerned so i kept it simple on the edges i went with dense grind for smaller projects and bigger 6x5 in the center and then dense again on the other edge.

Next : Mid-Span Support as you can see in the above picture i was testing where to put mid-span support.
So for the mid-span i spent quit a bit juggling up between different choices and ideas, one obvious choice was to buy the existing mid-span support that is $40.00 and looks very nice.
2nd choice is to try some type of DIY, after haggling with it for a while i chose to go with DIY.

So the Plan for mid-span support is to use 4 L brackets. the trick was to get the brackets under the waste-board and flat against the maker slide on the inside. To do this i had Shapeoko cut out pockets on the bottom side of the MDF board so it will countersink and everything will be nice and flat.

next i cut out four notches into the MDF board after marking 90* angle against the maker slide. Next i had to take one side of the x axis off completely so i could sandwich the waste-board in between the L-Brackets.

I pre-drilled all the holes going from Top waste board into the base table, to prevent the screws from going in on angle hence moving the L-Bracket as well. So pre-drilled helps keep the alignment.

Once this was done i put the Shapeoko together, and proceeded to Screw the L-brackets in for good. Adding these made the entire thing very sturdy and rigid.

One thing i wanted to do is have a grid ontop to align up the materials : so spend good 20-30 mins with the square and drew a rough grid - this helps greatly, better than eye balling.

Testing ! First project on the new and bigger Shapeoko - When i was working on it my 5 yr old nephew came in and goes like - Uncle you are always working, why do you work so much in the garage ! lol i said i m building something cool and proceeded to tell him what exactly this contraption will be able todo . He instantly said then Make me my Nameeee! lol, so the first project on this shapeoko is for him :)

Next i am waiting on some electronic parts to arrive in the mail, i will be building an electronics box :)