Marty's Shapeoko2 Deluxe

Marty M.

Marty's Shapeoko2 Deluxe

Post by Marty M. » Thu May 29, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm about ready to give this a try. I bought the mechanicals only version and a bunch of extra parts. Then I decided to go with the electricals too. The footprint is 500mm -X by 1000 mm-Y. I wanted a work area big enough to machine guitar necks. I currently have a mach3 driven k2-2514 that I've been using and 25" isn't quite long enough for Fender style necks without extra fussing.
The work area within the extra y rails is about 6" which is perfect. I built some extra mini carriages to help take some of the stress off off the outer carriages and perhaps increase accuracy some. I wanted to keep it pretty much built with shapeoko 2 parts, but cheated by adding a piece of an open rail carriage that I cut in half and some 8020 gussets I bought on ebay.

I appreciate all the help I got here and from Inventables to get to this point. Thanks to those who lended a hand!

Last edited by Marty M. on Thu May 29, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Marty's Shapeoko2 Deluxe

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm

The additional mini-carriages are a first for a Shapeoko, I believe --- very, very cool!

The use of the motor mount plates as end plates is an interesting economy as well --- I guess you lose a little bit of travel to them? Or does it just interfere w/ loading material (which obviously isn't a problem for guitar necks).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Thu May 29, 2014 4:42 pm

As far as the mini carriages, I tried a couple of different things. The ideal thing would be a plate with lots of holes and slots for the bolts and eccentric nuts/washers. If I had a mill I would have buzzed some out. This would be a good thing to sell as an accessory, or modify the existing plates that are sold. Really the ones that exist could work if they had slots in them. It would just be like an additional erector set part....:-). I was going for rigidity and the motor plates add a lot of surface area and holes to bolt up extra members. I did use the extra end plates to support the span in the middle. I thought about adding more extrusion to make a complete bed, but figured it wasn't going to add much more to the mix.

Here is a mini carriage:

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I just threw this together and it doesn't have things in 20 or 40 mm increments, but you get the idea. The slots allow for adjustability that you can't get with holes or eccentrics.

Signals

Post by Signals » Fri May 30, 2014 1:26 am

Could also use a second motor plate flipped backwards for a set of extra wheels, then bolt the extrusion to that plate. Probably a bit more expensive because it requires purchase of spacers, etc. Would gain you a few inches of width. That's what I'm doing. :)

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Fri May 30, 2014 9:49 am

I'm not sure how that would work, since the plates are so tall. Unless you are talking about it being perpendicular to the plates on the end. I really can't visualize what you are thinking about unless the plate is bent at a 90 degree angle in a metal bending brake.

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 pm

I tried it out bit today with a 3/8 roundnose bit running about 50 ipm in pine. It worked. The first time I had some issues but changed the x current a bit and it seems to work OK. The rout is only .25" deep. The 15 dollar HF trimmer sounds a bit underpowered. I guess I'll try a Dewalt soon.
Image[img