Sectorix's custom build

sectorix

Sectorix's custom build

Post by sectorix » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:48 am

Hi,

This thread will document my build and changes in it as I progress.

The main goal for me building a CNC is to be able to build guitar parts, Inlays, etc. Therefor I opted for a Makita router and a fairly large build (680 x 1000) after a discussion in this forum. While I will start out with the most simple build, this will come in stages and will be enhanced every time I find a reason to do so. I am pretty good and documenting progress so lets hope this will be nice :)

Lets go.

First thing I did was to buy the Makita RT0607C and buy a 1/8 collet for it. beautiful. tested and is very rigid.

On friday, stuff started arriving with the brown van so many packages. still one missing of some addons I ordered.

Started following instructions, I went to test the Adruino unit, I was surprised how much smaller it is in real life than I expected.

Took an old computer I have laying around, installed java, the Arduino drivers and some software that Is needed for this. I may upgrade
this geezer to an SSD. I am not patient when it comes to computing. $$ and everything seems to be working, alright.. power off.

Wired everything for a motor/shield test, note the cheap DC connector from ebay. I didnt notice that Inventables send a nice cable.

Everything worked as planned.

My current electricity box. this will be replaced soon by a custom control box. already planning it.

Scatter!!!! verified I got all the parts.

Learning from seasoned folks here, I am doing the ACME rod upgrade from day 1.

This took much less time than I thought it will

Ok. first break. I hate tapping! the tool that comes from Inventables is really bad. after doing 4 holes in 1 hours and finding that I need to use plyers to do the job, I went to the hardware store and bought this instead. 4 holes in 15 minutes with this thing. Im very happy I did that. total cost here is $10.

Gantry assembled.

initial construction complete

Configuration of Arduino + Hello world complete.

I am now leaving on a business trip for the week, and will continue next weekend. some of the things I have planned:
- install a workbed.
- CNC a mount for the makita
- connect limit switches
- build control box
- do better job with the wiring.
- move this thing from my dining table to my garage (wife lets me keep it in the house until its ready)

To be continued...

sectorix

Re: Sectorix's custom build

Post by sectorix » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 am

Alright, so this weekend starts with getting things custom.

1. a control box
2. mounts for my Makita + a dust shoe
3. limit switches
4. fine tuning everything

Lets start with #1 and #2.

First thing I did was to make the mount for the Makita based on Targus's design, but added my own design for the dust shoe. The dust shoe is made in a pair and connected with magnets. the upper part mounts to the Makita, and the other magnets to it when needed. The magnets are countersunk, 1.5mm deep on the dust shoe, and 4.5mm on its base. (that way they will also have mechanical alignment.

Here are the parts, I will mount them tomorrow when I do the limit switches and finetuning. dont want to disassemble more than once.

Next, I went to build my control box. I wanted something simple that will contain everything in it other than my laptop/raspberry. I opted for an aluminum 2 piece encasing for electronics projects sized 20mmx15mmx7mm, via trusty old ebay, and then planned front an back panels to meet my requirement of air flow, switches in the front and wires in the back. like so:

The final result:

Note the arrangement on the back is X Y Z L, where L stands for the limit switches. already wired in the box.

Until next time...

sectorix

Post by sectorix » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 am

Limit switches and rewiring day.

Today was way longer than I expected it to be, but I am pleased with the end result.

I used the simple limit switches most of us use, obtained from eBay for cheap. I then mounted them on Z first, then X and Y, and aggregated the wires as I went all the way to the wire that goes to the control box.

Here is the Gantry, with the Makita mounts, the limit switches on Z (which are planned to close when hitting the top or bottom plate of the Z axis. the ACME upgrade is essential here.

Y limit switches, and final wiring. X is the same.

Bolts to hit the switches.

Sorted the wires, sleeved and soldered the connectors. Then tested all limit switches, and ran a homing cycle. all worked well.
Money shot for today:

Next time I will install the aluminum bed, move this thing to the garage, and true all 90 degree angles one last time.

Stay tuned...

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 am

Wow thats very neat work!

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:03 am

Neat build ! I'm assembling mine now. What is the ACME screw update? Specs to order? Where can I buy it?

Thanks, Caesar.

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 am

Also, where to order the aluminum case from eBay? Do you have the seller name?

Thanks, Caesar.

sectorix

Post by sectorix » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 am

acme from this store, and the metal parts are from inventables, and cut to size.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Fancy figured maple pen mount, nice upgrade. :D

Very detailed build document, great looking machine.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

JacobF

Post by JacobF » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Very nice. Your machine looks pretty close to what I'm planning for mine.

How did you mill the mount for your Makita?

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 am

Where did you buy the control box?

I searched eBay an Google but didn't find something as large as your.

Thanks, Caesar.