tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosure)

tjshape
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by tjshape » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:53 am

Fergyz wrote:i may have missed it somewhere but....

what is the overall foot print of this enclosure? HxWxD?

Awsome build!
Thanks!

Build dimensions
Overall footprint
entire unit (with base) = 70.5 x 38 x 35 (HxWxD in inches)

Enclosure without the mobile base is:
outside without door = 35.5 x 38 x 29.5 (HxWxD in inches)
outside dimensions including door = 35.5 x 38 x 35 (HxWxD in inches)
inside = 26 x 27 x 24.5 (HxWxD in inches)

The mobile base dimensions:
overall dimensions = 37 x 39 x 31 (HxWxD in inches)
Distance from ground to base of enclosure = 35.5 inches

I've been meaning to draw up more detailed plans which would allow these measurements to be a bit more meaningful, I just haven't gotten around to that yet.
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

Cjm_warrior
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by Cjm_warrior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 am

This project looks great, has definitely given me some ideas!

I am a cad technician at a design and build company and we manufacture sip panels (structurally insulated panels) and I never thought of using that as a starting point for such a project.. Some sound proof plastering installed and your away.

Thankyou for your build project definitely has given me some ideas as dust and noise is the two leading problems with owning a cnc I am sure you can agree
agree.

Best regards

Chris

tjshape
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by tjshape » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Cjm_warrior wrote:This project looks great, has definitely given me some ideas!

I am a cad technician at a design and build company and we manufacture sip panels (structurally insulated panels) and I never thought of using that as a starting point for such a project.. Some sound proof plastering installed and your away.

Thankyou for your build project definitely has given me some ideas as dust and noise is the two leading problems with owning a cnc I am sure you can agree
agree.

Best regards

Chris
Glad this project triggered some ideas for you!

I'm definitely curious about the effectiveness of using SIPs in a design like this being that at some point down the road, I will be upgrading my CNC to a 4x4 monster and will want to rebuild a new enclosure. I'm looking forward to reading your posts about it. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

Cjm_warrior
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by Cjm_warrior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:01 pm

We have just built an annexe fully sip panelled and with soundproof plastering for a music room and for someone to sleep and it works peperfectly.

We have done a few music rooms and woodwork shops so I know a small scale box or mini room would work as there is less open space to bounce sound off.

I am thinking 4x half panels would be perfect and fully insulated would be less then 100 but I am sure as I work there I can sort some other arrangement for myself :-)

We clad our buildings in cedar so I can always have a cedar insulated shed built at the end of my garden for a larger build down the line at the moment I will start small and portable ( a full sip panel you can lift up over your head really easily)

Best regards

Chris

tjshape
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by tjshape » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Cjm_warrior wrote:We have just built an annexe fully sip panelled and with soundproof plastering for a music room and for someone to sleep and it works peperfectly.

We have done a few music rooms and woodwork shops so I know a small scale box or mini room would work as there is less open space to bounce sound off.

I am thinking 4x half panels would be perfect and fully insulated would be less then 100 but I am sure as I work there I can sort some other arrangement for myself :-)

We clad our buildings in cedar so I can always have a cedar insulated shed built at the end of my garden for a larger build down the line at the moment I will start small and portable ( a full sip panel you can lift up over your head really easily)

Best regards

Chris
Excellent! Working at a place where you can get the materials you need for a reduced price definitely has its advantages :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

Cjm_warrior
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by Cjm_warrior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Haha definitely and if I can get offcuts then that will be even better! Our low level buildings require panels 300mm less then our standard size so I can always enquire about some of that to start with, couple of 4x2 and then they just slot together with a few nails to hold it firm.

I will definitely be making my box by the summer so I will make a build section on here in due course as I am sure the simplicity in it and not requiring any cuts will appeal to some on here..

Defy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Omaha
Contact:

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by Defy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Anyone run their machine in the enclosure without the vacuum and then just vacuum up the bits after a job? The DW611 has vents in the bottom of the spindle that would blow the dust away from the path of the bit. I just think keeping the vacuum on all the time would defeat the purpose of the enclosure. But I am curious about the belts and track, maybe we need some accordion boots like I saw in a thread.

tjshape
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by tjshape » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:18 pm

Defy wrote:Anyone run their machine in the enclosure without the vacuum and then just vacuum up the bits after a job? The DW611 has vents in the bottom of the spindle that would blow the dust away from the path of the bit. I just think keeping the vacuum on all the time would defeat the purpose of the enclosure. But I am curious about the belts and track, maybe we need some accordion boots like I saw in a thread.
I've run without dust control both with the machine inside and outside of the enclosure. In both cases I would not recommend running the machine without some sort of dust control unless you'd be using something like the accordion boots like you've mentioned. Otherwise, especially when inside the enclosure, dust gets caked in on the makerslides and the v-wheels leading to missed steps and inaccurate cuts. This is amplified for very long jobs and for jobs cutting materials synonymous with crazy amounts of dust.

Also, not all spindles have their exhaust venting towards the bit, so if you want to keep the area clear around the bit for viewing purposes, dust collection is a must. (Or a separate blower pointed at the bit).

I'm not sure how running a vacuum defeats the purpose of a sound proofing enclosure exactly either. In my case, my vac runs about 66dBs where my spindle produces near 100dBs with the door open (60dBs with the door closed). 66dBs of sound is about the same as a normal conversation. I do have plans to enclose the vac at some point to, but more for aesthetics than anything else (even though it will end up dropping the dBs).

Even if you would strictly be using the enclosure for dust containment and were using accordion boots to protect the makerslides and v-wheels, I still see benefit in running active dust collection if you have the opportunity to do so. For example, airborne sawdust is highly flammable. When contained within a small enclosure with exposure to electrical devices such as the spindle and stepper motors (and if you're crazy enough, the controllers) then without dust control, I'd recommend reading the forum post on meeting the local fire department. Even with dust control, I keep a fire extinguisher handy (mounted directly to the enclosure) and never leave the CNC unattended during a job.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

lovinretirement
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:30 am

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 am

Great ideas. I know one of your future improvements is an air inlet. Have you had any heat issues with the motors and spindle while running for any period of time? Have you done any temperature measurements?

tjshape
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: tjshape's build log (Shapeoko 2 and a soundproof enclosu

Post by tjshape » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:56 am

lovinretirement wrote:Great ideas. I know one of your future improvements is an air inlet. Have you had any heat issues with the motors and spindle while running for any period of time? Have you done any temperature measurements?
Up to this point and having run several jobs lasting well over an hour with the door closed, I have not had any heat issues. Prior to building the enclosure, I had originally bought heat sinks to stick to the z-axis stepper motor, but so far haven't seen the need. To the touch, the z-axis motor has felt no hotter than when I was running it outside the enclosure - same for the spindle.

Also, keeping the controller outside of the enclosure has definitely helped.

I am curious now though how hot things get in there, so I will be sure to take some measurements the next time I run a long job. I did just finish my air intake manifold, which I will be posting about soon, so I'll be sure to take some before/after measurements.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2, ACME upgrade, Belt Drive Z-Axis upgrade, Dewalt DW660

Post Reply