Shapeoko 2 #7567 Takes its first steps.

robm999

Shapeoko 2 #7567 Takes its first steps.

Post by robm999 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:41 am

Hey Everyone.

I'm Rob and I'm finally at a point where I wanted to introduce myself and my router since (she/he)? took its first steps doing the "First Job".

Santa came a couple days early and delivered my baby, a Shapeoko 2 "The Works" on 12/22/14 and within a few days and #7657 came to life. It wasn't the actual building that took time for me really. It was figuring out how I wanted to do the wiring and figure out how to run the drag chain that consumed the most time. As you will see below, cable management is still a work in progress. Finally we ran the Hello World a number of times and tweaked, squared, and tightened until we were mostly satisfied. On the last Hello World we printed there still appeared to be a backlash issue that I haven't been able to resolve yet and will revisit that later if needed. You'll see it at about the 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions on the "P", "O", and "2" in the image.

So we moved on from there and...weren't ready to do a real job yet. I wanted to get a mod done prior to actually cutting anything. I really wanted to get limit switches installed and working first. Between figuring out how I was going to do it, numerous trips to get parts, and dealing with the noise problem, it took close to a week to finally finish it. (Crossing my fingers) I do believe I have the noise problem beat as it has not reared its ugly head so far. Here are the pics of my (really ugly) wiring and limit switches. The wire management will get better...I swear :)

Note: I am running GRBL 0.9g

Y-Axis wiring and (hard to see) limit switches. Using roller lever switches from RadioShack. Currently mounted with the 3M Extreme mounting tape.

X-Axis wiring and limit switches

Z-Axis switch. On ly have a switch on the plus side and will be putting together and hooking up a probe and touch plate for Z-Axis minus.

Next we have the electronics between the switches and the arduino. It consists of a pull up resistor and a low pass filter for each axis. Not shown in the image is a ferrite bead on the wires both coming in and going out. The bottom heavier wires are from the motor control board for the PWM speed control.

And here is the schematic for the limit switch side of the board.
Note: The right side of the image is cut off in the post here but if you open the image in a new window it will show the whole thing.

After all that I finally had a chance to do some real cutting a couple days ago. I created and ran the "First Job". Here is the result.

Just after finishing the run and the spindle is on its way to home position.

And here it is removed. I am happy with the result and there isn't any evidence that I can see of any backlash on it that I can see.

I wanted to add a couple notes about the software side of things. As I noted above, I loaded GRBL 0.9g mostly so I could do the spindle PWM speed control but for some of the other updates as well. While testing and running Hello World, I had it near my computer so I was using G-Code Sender. To actually cut anything I have to move it out to my garage. I didn't want to drag a PC out there if I didn't have to so I tested and ended up running the First Job using GRBLweb running on a Raspberry Pi and and controlling it from my Android phone. Due to the screen size it was a little challenging but I have my tablet back working and will use it for controlling GRBLweb.

Also, I wanted to share my cheap and easy pen holder that I used for the Hello World runs. It doesn't have any spring action for the pen but other than that it holds and works very well.
That is a 2 inch spring clip from WalMart holding the sharpie to the spindle of the Quiet-Cut Spindle with the collet removed. A little blue tape at the top of the spindle to keep it form rotating.

So... Where am I going from here. Project wise, amongst other things, I have a 1/8" x 1-1/2" x 3' aluminum bar that, according to other posts is 5052 aluminum, that I am going to make a name/serial# plate that will mount on the front of the x-axis maker slide.

As far as mods for the machine, I am working on a case/enclosure for all the electronics. Waiting on some connectors and such for that. Once I get the enclosure done I can get the wiring cleaned up a bunch more. Then I'm going to put together the z-probe and and get that working. Work area size is going to be one of the next big mods also.

I am going to try and start doing videos along with stills of some of the things I am doing. As part of that I had an idea that I am going to try out. I have an inexpensive USB endoscope camera I picked up that I am going to try mounting on the spindle. Here is an image form it. I was holding it in the approximate place it would be mounted.
Note: I scaled the image by 50% so the actual image is twice as big.

Well, enough carrying on in this post. Looking forward to posting more as well as any questions or comments.
Shapeoko 2: #7567 - The Works kit incl. 300W Quiet cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9g, Raspberry Pi (running GRBLWeb)
--Limit Switches, Spindle speed PWM
Tool Chain:
2D: Inkscape>Makercam>GRBLWeb
3D: ??

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 2 #7567 Takes its first steps.

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 am

Backlash is probably all in the pen/ mount.

Looks good!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

bengtec

Post by bengtec » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:51 pm

I was also planning to use a raspberry pi as my SO2 will be in my shed/workshop, I wasn't aware of grblweb but it looks like it does exactly what I want.

I've been looking for some camera solution too, is the camera connected to the rPi?
Ben
Stock SO2 #7722, Dremel 3000, Arduino Uno, G-shield, GRBL 0.9g
Rhino>CamBam>Raspberry Pi with GRBLWeb

robm999

Post by robm999 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 am

I haven't tested that camera yet but usb webcams normally do work.

I also started looking at ChiliPeppr yesterday and it looks interesting. It is another web based gcode sender. It doesn't rely on a local computer to act as a server, although I do believe you can run in locally, but it does need a computer for the usb serial port connection to the arduino/gshield. The Raspberry Pi is one of the computers the JSON serial port will run on though and the serial port can be on a different device than the one you are accessing the web page from as long as it is on the same network. So ultimately I will be able to use either Chilipeppr or GRBLweb with the same setup of the Raspberry Pi connected to the Arduino and my Android tablet used as my control interface.

UPDATE:

I spent the last hour or so testing the usb endoscope webcam.
First I want to note that Chilipeppr has an option for a webcam view on the control page. It uses webrtc for the streaming from the server to your browser on the control device.

I don't have anything installed on the RasPi for webcam viewing so I went straight for trying to get it to work with Chilipeppr. The main challenge is you need a browser that supports webrtc. Fortunately, Iceweasel now supports it and, I believe, is the only one that does. I plugged in the camera, got Iceweasel installed and pretty easily got the image streaming from the Pi to the browser on my PC. It was very slow to update though. Not sure if this is just the Pi or that I was also connected to the Pi with VNC and was taking too much bandwidth. I will have to test it more. I have not tested it from the browser on my android tablet yet. I do want to note though that Chilipeppr uses WebGL for the 3Dviewer and Chrome is supposed to work but I wasn't able to get webGL working so I installed Firefox and was able to get it working there with little problem. I will try and test things further tomorrow and maybe get some pictures/video.
Shapeoko 2: #7567 - The Works kit incl. 300W Quiet cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9g, Raspberry Pi (running GRBLWeb)
Tool Chain:

bengtec

Post by bengtec » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:25 am

you clearly have a better understanding than me of the rPi than me, i wasn't really sure where to start. originally my plan was to get a network webcam and vnc to the rPi to control the SO2, probably with universal gcode sender. your solution is way more elegant! (assuming of course the rPi can manage the video and be an interface for the gcode at the same time)

i'll wait to see what you end up with, keep us posted!
Ben
Stock SO2 #7722, Dremel 3000, Arduino Uno, G-shield, GRBL 0.9g
Rhino>CamBam>Raspberry Pi with GRBLWeb

robm999

Post by robm999 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 pm

I wanted to get an update posted finally.

First I wanted to touch on my Chilipeppr/Raspberry Pi/Webcam testing. I haven't had a chance to play with using the webcam more yet. That will come eventually I think. Part of my delay with getting this done was dealing with issues with the Raspberry Pi/Chilipeppr setup. I was having communication issues with that setup but not when connected to a desktop computer without the RasPi. I was about top throw in the towel on that setup when I decided to post on the Chilipeppr google group. Within 10-15 min I not only had responses to my query but had the issue resolved. I was very pleased and impressed. In the end the issue was my own doing. I had installed GRBLWeb on the Raspberry Pi prior to this and didn't think anything of it when using Chilipeppr. Well, having more than one application connecting/trying to connect to the same serial connection causes problems lol. Killed GRBLWeb and Chilipeppr worked like a champ.

One of the things I was trying with this setup was to use an Android tablet to access the Chilipeppr webpage to control the router. It does work but, Using a tablet was less than optimal for this. Too much having to scroll, pinch-zoom in and out and constant risk of mis-tapping a buttton. For now I am still using the Raspberry Pi in the setup as this makes everything fairly portable, which is one of the things I want/need.

I received the connectors I ordered so I can get going on my electronics enclosure which will help with the portability of everything. I'm toying with some ideas about a control pendant which would take care of the tablet problem.

During this whole process I actually got a couple cuts in. The first was finally getting a Circle Diamond Square done to check for any issues with the machine setup.

I was pleased with the results. As far as I am able to tell with my crappy caliper, everything is as it should be.

After that cut I attempted to cut an endplate out of acrylic to attach my cable connectors. I did not have my clamps at the time as they had been back-ordered since I got my machine in Dec. A combination of no clamps, using mounting tape, and acrylics tendency to want to get pulled up by the endmill turned the part to waste. Yesterday I attempted it again with some better adhesive. Still started to pull up but I was able to help hold it while it finished cutting it.

2 mm acrylic from Home Depot.
Cut with 1/8" 2-flute spiral end mill.
2 mm cut depth
400 mm/min feed
75 mm/min plunge
12000 rpm spindle (300w Quiet cut spindle)

This time it turned out nice. That's the connector for the limit switches in there for a test fit. This will mount on the rear-right end plate where my Arduino/GShield enclosure is which will be moved to the main enclosure with everything else. The good news is that my clamps and E-Stop button got here last night :)

That's where I sit right now.
Now I need to fire up the soldering iron and get to work on cables and connectors.
Tool Chain: