Scratch Build of 2 ShapeOko's

REdington

Scratch Build of 2 ShapeOko's

Post by REdington » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Well after a few weeks of getting 4, 300mm cube printers built, I'm finally getting around to build the first 2 ShapeOko's. Here is one of the printers.

#1 will be for my friend, Dave and the #2 will be for my son, Paul, when I get through learning how to do the work flow. Then I'll build a larger one, #3 for me. #1 will have a cutting size of 12" X 24" and #2 will be 12" X 30".

First I made the brackets for the ends of the X axis out of 1/4" aluminum. The holes where it bolts to the makerslide, I made them 1.5mm long slots so I will be able to get them level and square as I can.

I cheated and bought the plates from Inventables. They didn't have the latest revision in stock so I got what the had. I assembled the carriage plates.

Bolted the frames together

Here is great tip for anybody that has some thread tapping to do. Buy taps that have a spiral end. They are commonly called "gun" taps or "spiral end" taps.
You don't have to stop to break the chip like you do with a hand tap. You will need to make sure you are square with the hole. If you have a drill press, you can make a tapping block that has a hole the OD of the tap and use it to make sure you are square. Tapping the ends of the makeslide took less than 5 minutes to tap all 16 holes using a tap in my drill.

Next will be the X axis.
Last edited by REdington on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

REdington

Re: Scratch Build of 2 ShapaOko's

Post by REdington » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I've been researching and reading the forums for awhile now and I know I want to keep the flex to a very minimum. For my X's, I'm doubling the makerslide and adding a piece of .750 X 1.500 between them. I did have to add a .065 spacer to the .750 side to make it come out to the right height to mate with the makerslide. I also had to drill and tap all the bolt holes as I didn't have the right length of bolts to use the T slots. I'll also be adding a piece of .125 aluminum pieces to the top and bottom.

After all the machine work done.

Bolted together and just snug, I used my vise as it is ground flat, I squared the ends.

Last edited by REdington on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Very cool!

Added a note on the gun taps to the wiki.

Nice that you were able to make all the widths and other dimensions line up so nicely.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

REdington

Post by REdington » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks Will, that is great that you added it to the wiki.

I mounted them on the carriages and I found the these carriages will bend pretty easily. Once mounted, I made sure that they were square to the X axis and then I loosen up two of the top V wheels on each Z carriage and put them on. BTW the square I'm using is a 10" machinist square and is very precise.

I machined some blocks instead of using spacers that goes between the two carriages. I needed to find out how far from the edge to make the holes in the blocks, so I used a 5mm rod and some plug gauges.

While machining the blocks, I used the mill to what I call "power tapping" to tap all the holes. I put the mill at one of the slowest speeds and just start the tap and let the threads feed the spindle. I have taped holes this way with a taps as small as 2-56 and have only broken a few taps.

I worked for a couple of hours to get the plates square to the axis. I ended up using several different width washers on the V wheels to get everything so that they are all squared up.

The blocks installed.

Now to start on the Z axis. I'll be using 10mm X 2 pitch leadscrews with a thrust bearing at each end. I'll show how I made a tap to tap the Delrin blocks that have no backlash.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:34 am

I like the idea of those blocks on the X carriage. They probably add a lot of stiffness.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Wow...awesome build!!
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

Jimf

Scratch Build of 2 ShapaOko's

Post by Jimf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

WillAdams wrote:Very cool!

Added a note on the gun taps to the wiki.

Nice that you were able to make all the widths and other dimensions line up so nicely.
Also known as spiral flute or spiral point taps. These kinds of taps push the swarf/chips forward so great for through hole tapping. If you have a bottom (blind) hole, you will have to back out the tap and remove the chips when you get close to the bottom. Or drill deep enough so the chips have some place to go.

This is a great build. It's really nice to have a mill (Bridgeport???) to custom make your own parts.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Nice work. Wish I could get a Bridgeport in my basement. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:58 pm

twforeman wrote:Nice work. Wish I could get a Bridgeport in my basement. :)
Agree twice over. I got started on all this 'cause a Bridgeport came up locally on Craigslist for less than scrap-metal value --- couldn't figure out how to get it into the basement w/o destroying our finished stairwell, or set it up w/o jackhammering out a portion of the basement slab and pouring a new, lowered footer section just for it....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

REdington

Post by REdington » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them.

Yes, the Bridgeport is a machine of beauty to me. I bought mine in 2000 and in the last few years, I've seen the price of them go down a lot. I gave $2500 for mine, but it is a rare one, in that is a single phase, 3/4 hp motor from the factory (built in 1977). I've only heard of one other that was set up this way.