an Unequal build log

UnequalTech

an Unequal build log

Post by UnequalTech » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 pm

It's been almost a year since I bought and assembled my Shapeoko 2. While I love the open build concept and idea of affordable desktop CNCing I quickly reached the stock setup limits. I am finally getting around to scaling her up so here is a late start to a build log.
Shapeoko 2 #?? w/Makita RT 0701C

UnequalTech

an Unequal build log

Post by UnequalTech » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:06 pm

stock.jpg
stock.jpg (328.53 KiB) Viewed 741 times
The initial shapeoko 2 build was easier than I expected. The rotary tool provided was a joke and my first build was a collar to fit a dremel and some material tie downs. the dremel was a slightly better upgrade but still nothing close to what I needed. This was purchased as a side project for work with the end goal of tooling some parts and shallow molds to model plastic and rubber prototype parts. I wanted to tool these parts out of HDPE and possibly tool aluminum molds. The stock bed is just a little small and the dremel was barely and upgrade.
medpersp.jpg
medpersp.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Upgraded to the Makita RT701C and it's amazing! Love the variable speed, although it would be nice to control the spindle speed with the electronics. To have the work area I need the y and z axis needed expanding. I added 1000mm rails to the y axis. I thought about using one of the 500mm stock rails for the z axis. It's way too big and I would obviously cut it down but how tall can I go without causing problems? I plan to get an ACME lead screw, add a 3rd set of wheels to the spindle mount and get an almumin collar for the router.
front.jpg
front.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 741 times
My next step is to address the electronics. Another problem with my stock setup were the poor connections. If i bumped the board or the carriage pulled the wiring it would miss steps and go crazy! I want to run 22 or 20 awg wire is that a problem? Also want to get 4 pin connectors for the steppers and a 24v/10a power supply. Do I need more/less?? I have micro limit switches and an e-stop that all need wired up too.

Also in planning for this build, my mdf base needs replaced. I'd love a 500x1000mm bed of t-slots but that's gonna be pricey. Anyone have an affordable extended bed idea??

UnequalTech

an Unequal build log

Post by UnequalTech » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 am

Parts came in and now it's time to finish putting her back together. Got some more 8020 pieces from and filled out the bed as much as my wiring would allow... For now! Need to figure out a new wiring setup, I have some drag chain for the x-axis just not sure how to rig it up. Maybe the Xcarve plates are what I need, I like the idea of moving the gantry and spindle back. Also want to get the solid x axis carriage as I get some noticeable deflection especially traveling in the y axis. Not sure if it's the carriage, v wheels or my HDPE mount brackets. I added a 3rd set of wheels to the spindle mount plate, can I add more to the x axis carriage? I wanted just a bit more z-axis travel so I put the bed underneath of the frame which made it much easier to load insertion nuts for material tie downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk