Meet the eShapeoko #344

tiltit

Meet the eShapeoko #344

Post by tiltit » Sat May 16, 2015 8:34 am

Hello all, first post here but I’ve been reading the forum quite a bit and it has been a great source of information and help.
So here is the current state of my eShapeoko that I’ve had for at least over a month if not two.
eshapeoko344.JPG
eshapeoko344.JPG (114.58 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
I have quite a few copper clad board lying around so I used some of it to customize the machine.
dragchain-support.JPG
dragchain-support.JPG (94.52 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
I also had some really old limit switches so I did not order any. Unfortunately the spacing of the holes on my switches was larger than the ones through the motor plates, so I figured a temporary solution out.
limit-switch.JPG
limit-switch.JPG (136.98 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
The limit switches are still causing me a lot of trouble due to false triggers. I usually disable then before cutting.

tiltit

Re: Meet the eShapeoko #344

Post by tiltit » Sat May 16, 2015 8:38 am

The Z limit switch was also a bit of a challenge but I managed to install a single one for homing.
z-limit.JPG
z-limit.JPG (56.53 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
And here is one of my first projects with the eShapeoko. An acrylic case for my nixie clock.
clock-case.JPG
clock-case.JPG (70.51 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 am

That's very clean milling in acrylic. Good looking clock, too.

The limit switch holes are for the next smaller size of microswitch. I'm not sure you've seen it, but I also designed a bracket for the Z limit switches, so you can have two of them easily.

You seem to have done some milling already. How is that Proxxon holding up?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

tiltit

Post by tiltit » Wed May 20, 2015 7:56 pm

That's very clean milling in acrylic. Good looking clock, too.
Thank you Catalin, It was not easy to cut, I had to stop the acrylic from building up on the end mill using a small piece of wood. I ended using at least twice as much material than would normally be necessary.
Concerning the limit switches I probably will get some new ones and also a bracket. Is there any reason for having 2 limit switches on the Z axis? I think the machine would crash way before the switch triggers.
How is that Proxxon holding up?
I don't have any experience with anything but the Proxxon rotary tool but it seems adequate, tho I do wish to upgrade it for something like a Kress spindle, if only to be able to use larger end mills.

So far the machine has been running nicely, I am really happy with it. Lots of fun. Thanks.

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Most excellent Nixie clock!!!
I have built the guts for mine, and it is working well, but it's all just wires n tubes just waiting for a case. I just have a list of projects I am working through and the clock is deep in there. Congratulations. You have to feel good about that.

Did you program from scratch? I have a thing for making things far too difficult and decided to program from nothing. It's Arduino based and was not as hard as I though it might be, but I still have a couple of kinks to work out as it is loosing time.
How many buttons did you use for setting time n such?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

tiltit

Post by tiltit » Fri May 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks, I also have a list projects and I have been working on the clock on and off for way too long and it is still not really finished. I very rarely manage to bring a project to an end, but really want to finish this one. There are two buttons on the clock and one switch. The buttons could be labelled "Enter" and "Select" and the switch is to enable and disable the alarm. The clock is very inspired from Adafruits Ice Tube Clock. It counts the time in a similar way by connecting a watch crystal to the atmega and having timer2 using it, the microcontroller core runs off the internal 8MHz oscillator. Also the high voltage is generated with a PWM output and a voltage divider is used the detect loss of power.
I just setup a github repo if you are interested in seeing the code. It is still unfinished and in my opinion messy and hard to read.
https://github.com/tiltit/or-clock

tiltit

Post by tiltit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Well, my proxxon ibs/e has given up on me :(. It still works but produces the most unbearable screeching sound. I have been cutting a lot of hard wood lately.
I just wanted to let people know that the proxxon is in my opinion not the best choice for a cnc. No point in having to replace the spindle every 4 month...

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Your brushes may be gone. If that's the case, stop using the spindle and replace them. The brushes are considered consumable with this type of electric motor.

tiltit

Post by tiltit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:06 pm

I now have a Kress 1050, and it is night and day compared to the Proxxon.
I have been cutting aluminium for the last two days and created a little add-on for wire management to my eShapeoko. It's a thin plate of aluminium that fits on top of the X carriage.

Here are some pics.
P7263216.JPG
P7263216.JPG (163.3 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
P7263217.JPG
P7263217.JPG (138.36 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
P7263218.JPG
P7263218.JPG (121.81 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
I am having so much fun with this machine, thank you cvoinescu for making it easily available in Europe.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:44 pm

That's a cleanly milled piece of aluminium -- nice. And you're welcome -- glad you like it. :)