Shapeoko 3 #622 build log

jbquinn

Re: Shapeoko 3 #622 build log

Post by jbquinn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 pm

26_SO1_dremel_mount_test_plot.jpg
26_SO1_dremel_mount_test_plot.jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
It might now be time to start thinking about actually cutting wood or something. I'm planning to use a Dremel 4000 as my cutting tool. I don't own a Dewalt 611, because years ago the more powerful 618 seemed like the clear-winner choice. It is far too heavy for the standard shapeoko 3 x/z-axis and its circumference too large for the standard mount.

I have heard that locating dremel mount gcode is "easy". By whose definition, I'm not really sure. Somebody less credulous than me, apparently. So far, I've found maybe 3 dremel mount files in total, and two were completely inadequate-looking. Edward Ford's version from 2012 (on the wiki) seemed to hold the most promise for me. I tweaked the file to remove all the Z-axis commands so I could plot the outline. (Yes, I'm aware of preview functions in gcode senders.) I was delighted to note the two tiny guide mark/notches indicating screw positions. Positions that are compatible even with the Shapeoko 3, many years after this gcode was published. The plot looks very faint in this picture, but it is there if you squint enough.

jbquinn

Post by jbquinn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 pm

27_dremel_4000_not_fitting.jpg
27_dremel_4000_not_fitting.jpg (122.21 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Here's why I made paper plots. As you can see, my dremel does not fit correctly in the cutouts. I have also discovered that the eccentric nuts on the top of the Z-axis plate would interfere with the top clamp. I will need to make these two modifications to Edward's file for my situation. While I'm at it, I will probably also convert it to metric units. I'll publish it on this build log if I can make something that works.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:29 am

the Dremel 4000.is an odd shape and doesn't have a mount listed,n the wiki.

Did you try this one?http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4237
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:39 am

It kind of looks similar to the Maplin rotary tool I started out with:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/170w-variable ... -set-n17qn

(without the additional hand holding attachment in one of their pics)

If that's the case, it doesn't have any good straight vertical place for a mount to enclose it. The mount needs to have a matching angle for it to engage. It's doable, just not simple. (was a real PITA to model for mine)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:22 am

My SO1 had a Dremel 4000 which Jason Lopez (Atomsofttech) had mounted using the Universal Spindle Mounts.

Maybe try one of the methods here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ary_Mounts
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43 pm

First, I am impressed by the detailed write-up. Thank you.

I am also impressed by your collection of sliced and diced polyhedra (or Rubik's cubes, although many of them aren't Rubik's and some aren't cubes), of which I glimpsed a part. Don't get chips all over them.

The serial bit rate matters here because GRBL does not implement automatic bit rate detection, like modems do. Actual serial communication at the rate you set happens in hardware, between the AtMega16u2 (running USB-to-serial firmware) and the AtMega328P (running GRBL) on your Carbide Motion board.

My advice would be to get a DW611. You'll find the Dremel quite underpowered for the machine. Also, you may be lucky with your unit, but the runout on rotary tools is a bit of a crapshoot. It's much better controlled on routers. And, if you machine wood, plywood, or MDF, after you've played with 1/8" endmills, try 3/16". You won't want to go back. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:03 pm

The Dremel is what? 175W?
And how many W can it sustain for 2 hours? 3hours?

No, keep the Dremel for the jobs it excells at, and get yourself a proper spindle for your ShapeOko.
(I have an old Dremel 395 that I've been caring for and treasuring for at least a decade, and love the 8200 that finally replaced it. Or... maybe I can get hold of new brushes for the 395 and get that back in action, too)

The only reason to use the dremel as a spindle is so that you can cut proper mounts for a proper spindle.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:56 pm

If you really want to use your Dremel, I have a mount drawing which may be close to your requirements.
I too had a Dremel 4000, which was extremely similar to the Silverline generic spindle shipped with my SO2.
The attached file are the mounts I made for this spindle, along with some I was thinking about using for attaching dust collection. I never cut the dust collection ones as the spindle broke before I had a chance.

I would second the 'get a DeWalt DW611' suggestion, if you can. It will be much more satisfactory in the long run. The Dremel is just not robust enough for long term use in this environment.
Attachments
Silverline Mounts Mk2.dxf
Sample mounting bracket
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

codymarchant

Post by codymarchant » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi,

What you have built looks great. I am trying to get the gcode sender onto my raspberry pi (using the same info as you used http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/images/6/6a/Coaster.txt > Coaster.nc). I am having a problem when it get to the curl stage. Do you know what i may be doing wrong.

The raspberry pi is running the standard software is there something i need to add before trying this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jbquinn

Post by jbquinn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Wow! Thanks everybody for the files and advice. I'm going to start digging into these in detail this weekend! I'll need to make some decisions about which CAD and CAM software to use. Tentatively, LibreCAD and PyCAM. I'll look for threads on this forum which discuss the finer points of each. Especially interested in the RaspPi experience (at least for the CAM anyway).