Shapeoko 3 - 4' x 4' - Prototype #1

Defy

Re: Shapeoko 3 - 4' x 4' - Prototype #1

Post by Defy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:31 am

I am still waiting for OpenRail to be back in stock and I will make my own extrusions for the y axis while I wait for the new ones. I just need 30inch in either direction to make my parts.

jdon

Post by jdon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 am

chamnit wrote:I can't see how an upgrade to the ShapeOko3 that goes from 256 square inch (16"x16") to 2304 square inch (48"x48") work area won't have a reasonable cost to it. That's almost a 10x increase in machine capability.
Oh, I don't really have space (or justification?) for a 48"x48" machine anyways. I've really just been hoping to double the length of one of my axes. Although it sounds kind of fascinating. I suppose if a 48"x48" upgrade was $1000, maybe I'd feel better about the price, consider what I could do with the extra capacity, and try to find the space. If that's what it takes to double my Y axis, though, I'd be disappointed. That's sort of why I said I'd been waiting to see what the kits actually consisted of. I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment, so not in any rush... I'm just unjustifiably eager, and hungry for more info. :-)
Shapeoko 3 #513, with limit switches, DWP611, dust enclosure, and joinery vice

jvin248

Post by jvin248 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:12 am

jdon wrote:... I've really just been hoping to double the length of one of my axes. ... if a 48"x48" upgrade was $1000 ... to double my Y axis, though, I'd be disappointed. That's sort of why I said I'd been waiting to see what the kits actually consisted of....
I'll be disappointed too. Machine I'm looking for is expanding X-axis with one new extrusion and a belt, plus cable extension cords. The under carriage could be cut and bolted to new flat steel to expand. So in theory a single axis expansion cost should be 'containable'.

As for the rigid table issues, something similar to this system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNi6Tpp-ac) could be used to give torsional stability. I'm already using this design under my SO3 as deep as the machine and long enough to fit the expanded 48inch in X-axis machine I'd planned for.

Hopefully expansion kits will come in several mixes.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:17 am

This would be a nice potential synergy for the Sparkfun partnership — let them sell parts, incl. extrusion in longer lengths.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:29 pm

WillAdams wrote:synergy
I was hoping that this made-up dot com word would have died when the tech bubble burst in the early 2000's but it has persisted ..... Cooperation has a more pleasing connotation to it. :D

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 pm

CrazyBillybob wrote:
WillAdams wrote:synergy
I was hoping that this made-up dot com word would have died when the tech bubble burst in the early 2000's but it has persisted ..... Cooperation has a more pleasing connotation to it. :D
So, a few things about that:

A. Synergy is not a "made-up dot com word": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy#History
In 1896, Henri Mazel applied the term "synergy" to social psychology by writing La synergie sociale, in which he argued that Darwinian theory failed to account for "social synergy" or "social love", a collective evolutionary drive. The highest civilizations were the work not only of the elite but of the masses too; those masses must be led, however, because the crowd, a feminine and unconscious force, cannot distinguish between good and evil.
2. Synergy is not the same as cooperation. They mean different things.

D. All words are "made-up". :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Maybe my issue with the word is that it is used incorrectly in most cases.... Working for software companies around the dot com era I've heard it used for everything but what Mr. Menzel was thinking about when he coined the word. :oops:

All words are made up.... and the point don't count :ugeek:

(where are points B and C?)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

@twforeman, I agree with your points A, 2, and D, but I find the Wikipedia quote (which probably paraphrases Henri Mazel) doubly repellent: firstly, the idea that Darwin has anything to do with how society works, or how it should work, is false (and abhorrent, because it's been abused that way to justify eugenics and other evils -- the whole point is that, as a society, we're better than "nature red in tooth and claw") -- there's no need to argue that Darwinian theory ignores "social synergy", because it doesn't apply to societies, period. And secondly, it uses "feminine" as a derogatory epithet. Ew.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Defy

Post by Defy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:28 am

Wooh... all this and all we wanted was a few extrusions...

I priced out some openrail and some 80/20 extrusion. 2 1500mm sections would only be about 120 bucks. If i wasn't focused on my laser i would give it a whirl. Once my laser is up and fully functional maybe Edward will have the longer extrusions available and i will have to make the drive to Chicago to get them!!!

stuarttaylor00

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm pretty keen on an upgrade too, I've got the hang of this bad boy but would love a 4x4' work area... not looking forward to postage to Australia though :shock:
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router
Flashforge Dreamer Dual extruder 3D printer

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)