Max's Build - a comedy of errors.

Max Metz

Re: Max's Build - a comedy of errors.

Post by Max Metz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:46 pm

My last motor arrived from China on Friday direct from the manufacturer of the motors in the original full kit. This will enable me to complete my build.

The thick dual power and ground wire was adding too much resistance in the cable chain, causling the x and y axis assembley to spring back after it reached position, so I removed it and all is very smooth now. I have two wires left over in the cat5 cable (8 core) so I might use those even though they are light gauge.

So far the optical sensors haven't shown any sign of life - I expected them to light up. That said my power supply is faulty and Inventables is sending me a new one.

To add another chapter to the saga the hard drive on old dell inspiring 6000 I am using to control the machine want flakey on my first test so that put the project on hold while I re organized my computer gear. Since then I took possession of a dual processor hp workstation with 32gb of ram, I am busy getting that up to speed, then I'll update my HP mobile workstation using the hard drive from that to replace the did one in the old Dell.

My cutters arrived from drill man on eBay - they are beautiful gear, especially the purpose coated aluminium cutter.

Some one needs to come up with a way to reduce the flex across the x axis, now I have a machine its easy to see what's causing it - the area on the end of the makerslide making direct contact with the motor plates either end is not enough to make the x and y assemblies rigid. This explains why the dual makerslide works so well, it increases the contact area.

Perhaps an L shaped beam across the back would do the trick - I'll wait to see what difference the dual motors make.

Best regards. :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 am

A number of people have asked my for the contact details of the motor manufacturer. I emailed the manufacturer a thank you as the motor was very well packaged and exactly what I ordered, as well, asking if it was OK to post their contact details here.

They are on holiday until the 7th, when I hear I will post, I don't expect a problem -'experience has taught me to check.

The extra motor makes really big difference to the machine. :D

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:18 pm

After asking I have been checking my motors... Well you were right all the necessary info is written on them. I contacted them and yes I have to wait next week as they are on holiday...
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Life is cool. :)

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Jolie from wantmotor.com returned from holidays and emailed to say she would be delighted if I shared where I sourced the extra motor. She presents as a truly lovely person and the transaction itself was excellent, so accordingly I'd ask those who decide to approach her for motors to do so in the politest manner.

The contact email is sales@wantmotor.com

As for my build, I am just waiting on the power supply - won't be too long now. In the meantime I revamped an older hp graphics workstation, a dual processor xw9300 with 32gb only to find there in a dry solder joint somewhere that dictates the machine needs to warm up for a couple of hours before being being booted, a shame as it was a jet. As a result I am looking at buying a new hp workstation to replace my 4 year old hp mobile workstation as my main machine - the research and price finding has taken most of my spare time so the wait for the Inventables power supply isn't a biggie.

Everyone I have delt with associated with this Shapeoko project have been nice people, including the all those at Inventables - Phil in particular is a really great bloke.

My best to you all. :-)

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:17 pm

I am not advocating this in any way, but if you think the dry solder joint is on the motherboard, and you aren't particularly attached to it, you could try baking it (as in putting it in an oven :)). I had a 8800 gtx card that I did this with several times before it finally died for good. It'd be a good idea to remove all the components and the cpus from the board first. I can't recall the temperature, but it only took about 10 minutes. It's like a poor-mans reflow process.
shapeoko #0057

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 pm

That's a great idea mate, though as you can imagine the path to realizing a dry solder joint was the problem has been a frustrating one.

I'll just buy another machine with a HP 5 year waranty, give this one to someone who wants it and suggest your fix if they don't want to just canibilize the parts or use a ups - I know of few business places that still use an Xw9300 as a server, I guess even if they had the same problem the ups would mean its not an issue as the machine is constantly on.

I was surprised just how good the machine was, its 6 years old. If I get 5 years out of a new hp I'll be more than happy and the warranty will ensure that - HP have flown stuff around the world by the next business day for me in the past dispite me assuring them that it wasnt urgent so its a confident purchase decision. Best regards mate and thanks again. :-)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 am

I've dealt with Wantai Motor before and I've been very satisfied. Thank you for the pointer.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 am

A pleasure mate.

I took the liberty of giving Jolie the link to your eShapeoko site with the assurance that i have found both you and Edward very fair mined men.

As I have been busy with other stuff it was a thrill last night to see how well the eShapeoko orders we're doing, a most deserving success. You seem to have also solved the odd ball pulley worm screw problem of the original Inventables kits which will be a big bonus in itself.

I must say your 3d image renderings look excellent with the tones grading across the planes, it looks very proffesional and slick. Indeed the whole eShapeoko venture has a signature of professionalism, everything very well thought through and thoughtfully presented. Really good stuff mate, the site is bookmarked, I've registered and Amber Spyglass is now on my regular drop in hit list.

Being a very keen photographer, I aslo quickly noticed your skill with a camera - the product photographs are top notch. All up up the whole site shows you as very talented bloke, I'll wish you continuing sucess, though i know that your broad skill will ensure that.

My very best to you. :-)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am

Thank you very much for the compliments! Reading your post made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside! :)

Just in case it helps someone, the renderings are SketchUp, with some tweaked style settings (thicker profile edges), exported large and scaled down. I used the screws, motors, flexible coupler and a few other parts from your models, for which I thank you. The shaded eShapeOko rendering is a composite of three images (three layers in Gimp), because I wanted the shadows to be less prominent on the background than on the model, but all others are as they came out from SketchUp, only shrunk.

The photos are made with a light tent improvised from a tall square Tupperware container on its side, wrapped in white baking paper held with tape, and lighted with a halogen desk lamp. The background is about half a sheet of plain white paper (which I had to change a few times because the oil from the bearings stained it). The camera is on a tripod and I used a remote shutter release (but the timer feature would have done just fine). The aperture is f/20, and I bracketed 2/3 stops above and below +1 EV (and ended up choosing the lightest version, +1 2/3 EV, almost every time). I could not find my grey card so I just calibrated the white balance on the white background sheet. The only item that's not found in a casual photographer's bag is a 12mm extension ring. I adjusted the levels in Gimp, and once I got one photo the way I wanted (background just a shade off white), I kept it open and used it as a reference for the others. The nylon spacers were surprisingly difficult to photograph, because they're translucent so they look blurry under diffuse illumination; you can barely see them on a white background.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk