SO3 #1095 build and first projects

stuarttaylor00

SO3 #1095 build and first projects

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi guys, I have used this forum a lot for information so figured it was time to get involved and post my Shapeoko 3 build :D

There are stacks of detailed build threads so I won't go into too much detail with the machine itself..

I'm based in Perth, Australia. The parcel turned up 8 days after I placed the order, which is mighty Impressive if you ask me... as were the burritos

box in trolley.jpg
box in trolley.jpg (298 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

The build was pretty straightforward, I bought a stack of nyloc nuts to replace the standard ones, which seems like a popular modification. The tools that come with the kit are of Ikea quality and strip the Inhex bolts . Straight into the bin.

My shed is super super tiny so I turned the table out the back into my work bench..
workbench.jpg
workbench.jpg (299.43 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

slowly coming together... From opening the box to running 'hello world' took me about three and a half hours. I think a few things have changed on the newer versions. My steppers all had the same length wires, and the driver board had no dip switches. No real difference, just less things for me to get wrong!

build 1.jpg
build 1.jpg (222.93 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

more on the way...
Last edited by stuarttaylor00 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router
Flashforge Dreamer Dual extruder 3D printer

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

stuarttaylor00

Re: SO3 #1095 build and first projects

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Sorry about the huge photos...hopefully better now...

once everything was wired up it was time to do the obligatory 'Hello World' test. I used a ball point pen instead of the sharpie, it came out pretty nice for the first run. I just loaded the text file into Universal GCode Sender on my macbook Pro.
test.jpg
test.jpg (196.52 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
The supplied router mount has a 69mm diameter hole in it, I couldn't source a router to suit that size, so I ended up going for the the Makita rt0700cx, which cost AU$177, and I designed (using Fusion 360) and printed a 69 to 65mm sleeve out of ABS on my Flashforge Dreamer 3D printer. I have the .stl if anyone is interested.
router shim.jpg
router shim.jpg (219.67 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

Due to the limited space in my workshop, and lack of any solid, flat benches, I decided to build my version of a torsion box. 12mm Marine ply top and bottom, 35x12mm pine for the supports. Glued and clamped overnight. This means I can sit the router on pretty much anything and it will be sitting on a flat surface :)
torsion box.jpg
torsion box.jpg (248.63 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:50 pm

You should be able to easily source 2mm thick 70mm diameter aluminum tubing which I believe will work to make an adapter (couldn't find that and used a slightly thinner 2.75" tube which sort of works).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

stuarttaylor00

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Then I just cut some walls out of MDF, and a lid & door out of 4mm Perspex, threw on some hinges and a handle, and BAM! a sweet enclosure to keep the shed tidy.
Enclosure.jpg
Enclosure.jpg (193 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
After a bit of dicking round learning how to create toolpaths with Fusion 360, I started up the router and started my first project... It's not really anything in particular, just a few slots and a pocket in a piece of hardwood. I held the stock down with screws and the job split on the last cut...lesson learned there.

But it came out ok :D
first cut.jpg
first cut.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
I designed a few shelf brackets and milled them out of pine. These were a lot bigger and took about an hour to cut both brackets in 3 operations. Again I drew the model and set up the toolpaths with Fusion360, then loaded them with UGS. With a 1/4" flat endmill at 1600mm/min, 2.5mm DOC, and 2.5mm stepover. I'm sure this is pretty conservative but it's creating good chips and the finish is awesome...

bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (169.4 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

All in all, I'm really pleased with the SO3. I have bought a limit switch kit, and plan to design a dust shoe for it. Further down the track I will have a wasteboard cut from aluminium. but for now I'm just getting the hang of the machine and the CAD\CAM process.

I think the software is the biggest failing of this CNC router, I know it's early days in production but this is not user friendly at all, Carbide Create is clunky and very limited, and while the wiki has a huge amount of information, it isn't as easy to navigate as it could be. You look at what is available for the Nomad 883 and X-Carve compared to the SO3 and there is no comparison. It's such a great tool that can be used for engineering or artistic purposes, I think if the workflow was a bit easier the Shapeoko would be hugely popular in mass markets. Having said that, I'm learning to use Fusion360 and UGS, and it is a very powerful combo that has given me amazing results in the first day or two of use. you can't argue with that!

Cheers WillAdams, I did look at that option but the printed part is a bit more tidy, and I put a lip on it so it doesn't fall out if the router is taken out.
Last edited by stuarttaylor00 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Wait, what is available for the X-Carve that doesn't also work for the Shapeoko 3 (or any GRBL-based 3-axis machine)?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

stuarttaylor00

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:56 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Wait, what is available for the X-Carve that doesn't also work for the Shapeoko 3 (or any GRBL-based 3-axis machine)?

Haha, i knew someone would get into me about that comment. I was referring to Easel. I guess I meant that once you have built the machine it is not immediately obvious what to do next to actually make something. I think it would be great if people off the street could pick up a SO3 and not have problems trying to design and make something. I've seen a few posts around by guys who don't really know where to go next once they've put it together. I guess that's where the shapeoko\carbide3d forums really shine.

It wasn't a shot at the software, or the guys developing it. I know Carbide Create is still in beta, and it works just fine with carbide motion if you know what you are doing. Honestly the only thing I can fault with the whole setup is the tools that come with the kit!

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

brethon

Post by brethon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:20 pm

So great to see whenever you have some achievements made from the efforts which you have been exerted. Especially when you encounter some problems and then you finally have had the solutions in mind. And then many would appreciate your achievements. So great is the feelings.