Makerwill's Build Log

makerwill

Makerwill's Build Log

Post by makerwill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:10 am

Finally got all the parts ready this weekend and put them together.

My last mile was the toughest. Throwing commands at the Arduino Serial Monitor, I could only get the X-Axis running and only in one direction whether positive or negative values. After testing motors, cables and GRBL settings, I decided to install a fresh copy of GRBL .8a (Initially I had installed another copy from somewhere else) and that got stuff moving. The ShapeOko wiki has been very helpful and a lot of good info from reading this forum.

There is still a lot of improvements to put into it but I wanted to make sure I could get this far before I committed any further. Seeing what others have done has been really inspirational and motivating.

Some modifications were made to Y and Z-Axis. Routed the X-Axis belt a little differently than the instructions and put the v-wheels in the front instead of the back. Once I got the motors moving and the XYZ-Axis operational, I followed the instructions on "Run Your First Job" wiki page.

Some BIG UNKNOWNS are:

1) How well will the PLA printed Z-nut holder do over time and under pressure?
2) How well is the dual Y-Axis on a single belt?

I do have some thoughts on turning the setup to a 3D printer with MakerBot guts hence putting a restriction of single Y-Axis motor in this setup. Ended up using a whole lot of MXL belt and seven pulley idlers.

Would be interested in what you folks think of the build so far...

Update: 9/3/12
Added printed part to Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29665
1.JPG
1.JPG (92.36 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (285.86 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (224.28 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Last edited by makerwill on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pourcirm

Re: Makerwill's Build Log

Post by pourcirm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:29 am

I'm really intrigued by a lot about your setup here.

Firstly the Z-axis mod. That looks really interesting and I'm curious about the performance of the different motor and the thread rod. Can you tell me more about the setup you have going? Is that threaded rod actually the shaft for the stepper motor? That's an interesting way to eliminate the coupler situation and I like how it collapses down the height. Do you still see the same movement range?

Secondly the single belt mod. What made you decided on going that route? This is definitely an idea I don't think we've seen on a ShapeOko before. What benefits do you hope to get from this setup? I actually have a dual motor setup on my Y-axis currently and I really like the performance. I know you mentioned 3D printing and I was hoping to do the same eventually. I actually have some of Edward's upgrade parts and was planning to build a larger ShapeOko and turn the smaller into a 3D printer/laser test platform.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about you setup and how it works for you.

- Ryan

makerwill

Post by makerwill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 am

Sure Ryan. In case you are wondering, the Z motor is the same one used in the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic. It comes with a threaded rod built-in and a matching brass nut. I had to print a part to make it work here. I was initially working with the original threaded rod but the 8mm to 5mm flex coupler just wouldn't tighten on on the 8mm side (Smaller threaded rod???) and I had this part laying around as a spare. After I get a couple of rounds on this printed part, I plan to find a way to beef it up. To make it work though, I had to add a couple more washers so there would be space between the nut holder and MakerSlide. The Z range is shorter than the original rod length but the flow is good up and down so far with a pen. Will find out how much worst things will be with my future DW660 that I plan to buy.

I'm still trying to figure out what Tr8x8(P2) for the Z-motor spec really means but in DrRob's GRBL calculator, I have "Z motor (steps/rev):" set to 200 and guessing pitch is value 2. Since I am using the ShapeOko mod on the GRBL Shield by Synthetos, I set Z microsteps to 2. The possible issue I see now is the up and down goes really fast relative to values set in $4 and $5.

I acknowledge how simple two motors and two straight belts would be but in working with hardware that supports just three motor drivers, I wanted to see if I could drive both sides on a single belt. This was the solution I came up with after checking out the "Design Ideas" forum. Both the GRBL Shield and TOM hardware both used one motor driver for the Y-Axis so having the extra motor would be tricky. I also plan to build a bigger ShapeOko with two motors on the Y-Axis leaving this first round to becoming a future TOM variant that has greater X and Y range but at the cost of Z (Height). I used about 100 inches of MXL belt, 7 idlers and various cuts on those Aluminum extrusions.

By no means a finished product, I am still doing this by trial and error and the info around here is definitely helping accelerate the process.

-Will

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 pm

That's an interesting modification on the Y axis!

Tr8x8(P2) means you have a trapezoidal lead screw with a diameter of 8 mm (that's the first eight) and a lead of 8 mm (second eight). P2 means it has two starts, so its pitch is 8 mm / 2 = 4 mm. However, it's the lead you want to enter as "pitch" in DrRob's calculator: it's the distance the lead nut travels when the screw rotates one turn. In your case, that's 8 mm (not 4, and certainly not 2). For leadscrews with one start (like the standard ShapeOko M8 allthread) the lead and the pitch are the same, hence the frequent confusion.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

makerwill

Post by makerwill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 pm

cvoinescu wrote:That's an interesting modification on the Y axis!

Tr8x8(P2) means you have a trapezoidal lead screw with a diameter of 8 mm (that's the first eight) and a lead of 8 mm (second eight). P2 means it has two starts, so its pitch is 8 mm / 2 = 4 mm. However, it's the lead you want to enter as "pitch" in DrRob's calculator: it's the distance the lead nut travels when the screw rotates one turn. In your case, that's 8 mm (not 4, and certainly not 2). For leadscrews with one start (like the standard ShapeOko M8 allthread) the lead and the pitch are the same, hence the frequent confusion.
Thanks for the comment and tip cvoinescu. I've been scouring Google every now and then to look up the info but most of hits I find are either cryptic or not helpful.

I plugged 8 into "Z threaded rod pitch (mm):" and the calculator gave a "Z (micro)steps per mm:" value of 50 which I gladly replaced the 200 for. The Z steps are much more fine tuned now. :D

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Glad to hear that.

50 steps per mm is correct if your stepper is 200 steps/rev with 2x microstepping, with that leadscrew.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

makerwill

Post by makerwill » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 am

After better securing the pen to the Z-Axis MakerSlide, I was able to get my second successful Hello World ShapeOko drawn. It also helped that the correct Z settings were in place. What I found special about this round of drawing was that the instructions came over XBee with the second Arduino reading G-code from a Micro SD card.
results.jpg
results.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
What I have here is the setup I used to draw my "Hello World ShapeOko". At the moment, I still needed to use a computer to trigger the condition to start reading the hardcoded filename in the Sketch but I could easily brought in a button or setup a timer before the file was read just to do without the computer. What I was really interested in finding out though was whether it could read the entire file and have it processed over at the GRBL side. I made use of the logic found in the Processing Sketch for Gctrl and made sure not to send instructions to GRBL until I got the "ok" acknowledgement. This way, I got the data flowing while keeping the buffer full.

Some background and thoughts:

**I had everything working the way I wanted in the Sketch but using an array to store 11 sets of instruction to push to GRBL. What I was missing was the ability to read the entire set of instruction so I made use of the Ethernet Shield and used it just for the Micro SD card reader before my Sparkfun Micro SD card shield comes in.

**I'm debating whether I need a LCD display but maybe I do just so I can see however which instruction is currently being processed and the "ok" that comes with it. I was able to get the "$" content to show up on the computer without overflowing the Serial buffer but I wouldn't be able to make changes to settings easily in this setup. I've come to the conclusion that "$" can be used when I do connect a computer which should not be that often if settings are finalized.

**I'm considering just leaving it as a hardcoded filename to be read and having just one file on the card at a time. Only advantage I could see in being able to select which file to draw/mill of the ones I do often enough that I don't want to go back and forth in the Micro SD card.

Ultimately, I will need to go back to a computer to make adjustments, update/revised files and whatnot. I think this setup just frees me from having a computer next the ShapeOko.
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (139.49 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Still have many more improvements to come. So far, running the Hello World file was successful many times over. I'm hoping the process will work just the same when I bring in other G-code files. While this is an on-going process, now I feel ready to tackle the CAD, CAM, optimize steps. Still want to get to the point where I am milling Aluminum and plastics like the folks here, but in due time. :)

Zorgloub

Post by Zorgloub » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello Everybody,

I will also update the Z axis of my Shapeoko...
Can you provide us an address where I can find this superb threaded rod and his brass nut ?

Thanksssss

Z.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I believe it's the same one Robotdigg has on their site (announced in http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 54&p=12226 ):

Discussion of it there:

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 57&p=12246

(and I'll be adding a back-link to this thread presently).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Fri May 17, 2013 1:04 pm

makerwill wrote:Finally got all the parts ready this weekend and put them together.

My last mile was the toughest. Throwing commands at the Arduino Serial Monitor, I could only get the X-Axis running and only in one direction whether positive or negative values. After testing motors, cables and GRBL settings, I decided to install a fresh copy of GRBL .8a (Initially I had installed another copy from somewhere else) and that got stuff moving. The ShapeOko wiki has been very helpful and a lot of good info from reading this forum.

There is still a lot of improvements to put into it but I wanted to make sure I could get this far before I committed any further. Seeing what others have done has been really inspirational and motivating.

Some modifications were made to Y and Z-Axis. Routed the X-Axis belt a little differently than the instructions and put the v-wheels in the front instead of the back. Once I got the motors moving and the XYZ-Axis operational, I followed the instructions on "Run Your First Job" wiki page.

Some BIG UNKNOWNS are:

1) How well will the PLA printed Z-nut holder do over time and under pressure?
2) How well is the dual Y-Axis on a single belt?

I do have some thoughts on turning the setup to a 3D printer with MakerBot guts hence putting a restriction of single Y-Axis motor in this setup. Ended up using a whole lot of MXL belt and seven pulley idlers.

Would be interested in what you folks think of the build so far...

Update: 9/3/12
Added printed part to Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29665
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Very, very cool..... great ingenuity....
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...