twforeman's Shapeoko 3 #0004 Upgrades - Long

GoSpeedRacer

Re: twforeman's Shapeoko 3 #0004 Upgrades - Long

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:51 am

Awesome, that's my goal too- make sure the machine is perfect then just calibrate bits.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:07 am

Right, dinner is over so now on to some test cuts.

I was interested to see how fast I could generate some circles. I wrote a perl script shortly after I got my Shapeoko 1 that generates arrays of holes (something that I make quite often) but the S1 wasn't rigid enough to be faster than my drill press and the holes never turned out very round.

I was curious to see what the S3 would do. I have to admit up front that I'm pretty happy with the results. But there were a few entertaining things that happened getting there.

On my S1 I had a small vise mounted at the end of the travel. It stayed there unless I needed to mill something a bit long. It is bolted to a piece of MDF and has holes on 6" centers to attach it to the table. It also had two dowels to locate it so all I had to do was place it and bolt it down.

I'm not ready to drill dowel holes in my S3 table yet, so I cut the dowels off. Then I bolted the vise to the table and indicated it square.

I was getting ready to start making some holes when I noticed a problem. See if you can find it.

Yup, the vise handle interfered with the carriage plate. That's not going to work. But luckily all I had to do was move it over to the next set of t-slots and square it up again. Then there was plenty of clearance for the handle and the bit could still reach the whole work area.

I wanted to try various feed rates to see if it made any difference in hole quality. I used a 1/4" two flute router bit and made a program to generate a 1/2" hole. The milling took two passes - one to rough and one to finish. I ran them at feed rates starting at 40 ipm and increasing by 5 ipm up to 70 ipm in hard maple.

After I had all the holes finished I measured them. They were all around 0.495" in diameter with no appreciable difference in roundness or quality. The last hole at 70 ipm took 13 seconds to do both passes.

I was hoping to be able to mill 50 holes in under 12 minutes and 13 seconds per hole is right in that ball park. So I set up one of my loading block blanks, generated the g-code at 70 ipm and let her rip!

12 minutes and 2 seconds later I had 50 1/2" holes milled in maple. Now we're talking!

The next test will be to do the same work but use a 3/8" diameter router bit so the holes get generated in one pass.

I have to say that I am pretty darned happy with the rigidity and accuracy of my upgraded S3 so far. The only thing I might work on still is the stiffness of the Z carriage plate.

But I'm sure I'll come up with more to modify soon. And there is that SuperPID coming. And I need to make a control box one of these days...
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 am

It was brought to my attention that I had never demonstrated how I checked the squareness between the X and Y rails.

This is mainly because it takes two hands to do and thus it's difficult to hold the camera to take a picture.

I got my wife to come down to the shop and take a couple of photos, so here you go.

First I grab a 1-2-3 block and squeeze it against the Y rails, thus:

Then I grab my large engineers square and check it against the X rail, thus:

You could use a clamp to hold the 1-2-3 block against the rail - it might make it a little easier. Anyway, that's what I did and it worked out pretty well.
Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:26 am

A few more updates today, nothing earth shattering.

I added a grounding wire that is attached to each assembly on the S3 and the housing of the power supply (ground) and also the housing on the circuit board (though the board is insulated from the housing.) The only piece I still need to run is from the Z carriage to the spindle mount plate.

No real photos of that, other than you can see a bit of it in this photo of the cable lacing I did to neaten up the cables to the controller.

I also changed from using Universal GCode Sender to bCNC. I have to say, the jogging controls in bCNC are great. If you have a num pad, you can do everything you need - the +,-,* and / keys are a great idea!

So, with that in mind, and the fact that using the laptop keyboard was a pain in the butt, I bought a wireless USB num pad and a wireless USB touch pad and hooked up an older 19" monitor to my laptop.

So now when I'm jogging the machine and indicating in the work piece I can just grab the touch pad and num pad and go to town. I also have a USB keyboard plugged for when I need to type, but you can do almost everything with just the touch pad and num pad, including setting the WCS zeros.

Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:54 pm

I guess I didn't include the links to the wireless num pad and touchpad earlier.

I have to say that I am super happy with these devices and bCNC for jogging and setting zeros. It's a great work flow.

Wireless Num Pad
Wireless Touchpad
Ender 3 3D Printer

Shook

Post by Shook » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm

I've seen this a couple of times and I've read much of your blog and posts here. There are a ton of folks with less know-how making a decent chunk of change (or at least getting free gear) on youtube. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat if you advertised a youtube channel showing something like this. Much of what I've seen in my admittedly limited experience is targeted at the "OMG it worked!" level of user (I'll put myself squarely in that camp). What (I think) I see here and in other threads is that attention to detail that brings these DIY tools into a different level of precision.

In any case. Between this and the stuff you do with 3d printing, there's a lot that folks can learn. Thanks for documenting it!
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I don't usually have the patience or time for video editing. :)

I might have to give it a try sometime though.
Ender 3 3D Printer

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 am

Hi TIm,
Just wondering, what type of wire did you use to extend your stepper motor wiring? Does it need to be shielded?
Thanks,
Dave

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:43 pm

dvdsnyd wrote:Just wondering, what type of wire did you use to extend your stepper motor wiring? Does it need to be shielded?
I did use shielded wire for both the stepper motors and the limit switch wires.

I used this 5 conductor with shield wire from All Electronics. It's inexpensive and fixed the interference issues on my Shapeoko 1, so I used it on the S3 also.

http://www.allelectronics.com/item/5cs2 ... ain/1.html

On the S1 I hooked all the motor shields together on the controller end but left them floating (not attached to ground.) That shouldn't work, but grounding them added some weird interference.

I think (I'll have to go look later) on the S3 I have them all floating on both ends.
Ender 3 3D Printer

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks Tim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk